Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a November 2014 (AP1) MS with the new MCU2 that was swapped out July 2020. Maybe this has already been addressed, but did they lock or encrypt the MCU2 and what cable do I need for this vehicle? Thx
Is your concern than MCU2 will change access? We have a 11/2016 build Model S with FSD & MCU2. The MCU2 upgrade did not affect access via the diagnostic port to Scan My Tesla which we use. We use the Maxwell cable.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
is there any information about the Model S plaid ?
I don't think the old model S/X adapter 'll work. But what about the software and database?
Still awaiting plaid info. If there is no obvious connector near the MCU, there is some chance we can tap into CANBus like on the 3, but that would probably require different connectors than the 3. I haven’t seen a BroadR-Reach Ethernet port on the plaid, but likely it is encrypted.

Model S/X has been the OBDII type CANBus adapter which has three buses on the same connector: chassis, power train, and vehicle fault (I think - not certain about the last one as I only use CH and PT). For the 3 (and Y) it's been complicated - two separate connectors, one connecting under the centre console, the other under the passenger seat. Very different beasts. I'm for some reason expecting the S Plaid to have the same OBDII in the same location as the old S/X.

Plaid appears to have a similar diagnostic port in the center dash as older S/X but we have not confirmed which busses are on it yet.
Plaid uses BroadRReach ethernet for real service access, similar to model 3/Y's custom ethernet port.

maybe this connector?

ModelSLCI_DashHarness.png

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I've just connected to my Plaid's busses to start sniffing can data. (Used to $35 1-hour access to service manuals to find it. Under the Phone charger, unsurprisingly.)

Given the fact that there are only 3 at the connector instead of the previous 5 in my X, I'm betting this has a good chance of being similar to the 3-bus Model 3/Y setup.

I would love to have a look through a quick driving CAN log. Very curious to see if it is using S data, 3 data, or something completely new.

Also: can you post a photo of the connector so we can start to ID it?

if you've some CAN logs, please let me know. Thx. 👍
I do, but need a bit of time to analyze them and try to avoid posting things that might leak PII like gps coordinates. I’ll try to get something shareable out soon but can’t promise when I will have time. Unfortunately, I had to travel and won’t be able to drive the car to collect data in motion for a couple of weeks.

I confirmed with a meter that the outer pins provide power and ground. It is actually rather high, ~15.5V when I measured. Maybe with li-ion 12v batt, that’s the new normal.

Sorry for the delay. It is just our old friend from s/x, but with less pins populated.

Thanks for posting the connector! Super helpful (and frankly surprising) to know they kept the original diagnostic connector.
So following the original pinout, if unchanged, purple=12V, brown=body CAN, green=chassis CAN, blue=powertrain CAN. And that would mean existing accessories like my CANserver and ScanMyTesla will work!
Now the next question is if CAN messaging is the same as old S/X, or 3/Y, or completely new. If you don't want to spend the time diving in, I would be happy to do so for you privately

Finally back at the car and had some time to dig in. The message IDs appear to overlap quite a lot with the Model 3/Y, so the rumors of the refresh being based on that electrical platform seems to be true. I was able to verify things like the VIN, cruise (ap) status, and a few other interesting bits. I'm sure there are a number of new/unknown messages as well, but the existing dbcs should give everyone a head start.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Thanks @rhuber for the sleuthing. How hard was it to get to the connector? Are you using the same adapter as the one for older Model S?
I make my own with the bare cables from Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable (Sept 2015 and up) – Bare Wire – Maxwell Automotive Technologies - but I think their normal diag -> OBD-II will work fine. The only issue is that most devices other than the comma.ai white panda only support 1 bus at at a time, so ymmv. I split the CAN busses out to diff devices, so I prefer to just crimp/attach my own OBD-II connectors.