Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diagnostic port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to use a pay-as-you-drive insurance service, but that requires plugging in an OBD-II dongle
I know of no off-the-shelf OBDII dongles that will work in the Roadster, or pretty much any EV for that matter. The dongles just don't know how to deal with the lack of combustion, and the Roadster doesn't provide any OBDII-standard communication on the connector at all. It's also highly unlikely that they have a special device for the Roadster's diagnostic port.

The OVMS v3 module can provide an OBDII standard-ish port, derived from information on the Diagnostic connector, but since it's an emulated service I suspect the insurance company won't (or, rather, shouldn't) accept it. For example, by default it's pretty good, but with scripts one can output pretty much anything they want (e.g. report 50% of the mileage). But if there is proper disclosure and you both accept the conditions (no funny business), you might give it a try. I would strongly suggest not trying to get away with it without disclosing what you're doing, because as a hobbyist product without the legal underpinning that no doubt is associated with the OBDII connector, it could give them an "out" to deny coverage in the event of a claim.

My insurance company has a puck that sticks in the car. It’s self-contained and connects to my phone via Bluetooth. An app on the phone collects the data. Honestly, I’m not sure if the puck actually contains any sensors or if it just tells the phone to collect some data. Maybe you could ask your insurance company if they have any alternative devices for incompatible vehicles.

• Helpful
Reactions: matt_in_ca
My insurance company has a puck that sticks in the car. It’s self-contained and connects to my phone via Bluetooth. An app on the phone collects the data. Honestly, I’m not sure if the puck actually contains any sensors or if it just tells the phone to collect some data. Maybe you could ask your insurance company if they have any alternative devices for incompatible vehicles.

Would you mind me asking who your insurance provider is? (Mine - for my other cars - is Metromile)

I would like to use a pay-as-you-drive insurance service, but that requires plugging in an OBD-II dongle

I doubt it will work. The dongle will get power, but nothing else from the car.

@gregd solution for ovms v3 may work better (where ovms v3 emulates an OBDII ECU, translating data from the car's diagnostic port), but would probably take some time to get configured correctly to provide what your insurance dongle requires.