Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lightfoot3b, with all the time & effort and sheer dogged perseverance that you have put into encouraging Tesla to build Superchargers in North Dakota, as well as the faith that Tesla would eventually see the light (enough that you bought a Raven Ludicrous S even after enduring five years of empty "next year" promises), it is only right and just that Dickinson should get North Dakota's first Supercharger! Congratulations!

Yet a supercharger in your home town is not very useful.

I think all of the Trans-Canada installs going on at the moment are testament to this! I’m sure @lightfoot3b knows!

I think the dozen or so superchargers along the Trans-Canada will get a news splash opening pretty much at the same time. They appear to have started with Moose Jaw, but none are ready yet. Plus, it's possible that the north-of-Superior route is under construction but nobody has noticed. A few of the sites base preps were ready before anyone noticed. One crew appears to have been wandering the prairies doing all the prep work - same black trailer and tiny Deere digger.

So maybe the same on I94 - you have a crew freshly arrived, maybe they work their way across the state and when it looks like enough bases are ready, the charger equipment installers arrive.

But I agree. There's a huge gap between Billings and Dickson, I'd be surprised if they leave that. Plus, Grand Forks and Watertown, and for me personally, Pembina - need to be addressed. OTOH, the sites at Grand Forks, Fargo and now Alexandria have been flagged for the design crew. Digging we hope will start soon.

So... it's coming, a lot more than before. I wonder if Tesla looks at where they don't have good market penetration and consider it's because they need superchargers?

It's somewhat unusual for Tesla to build a supercharger unreachable from a neighboring supercharger. Does this possibly mean that we are ignorant of superchargers currently under construction to the west of here? Anybody scouted recently?
Well, the fat lady ain't sung on any of them yet. Looking at Canada, and now North Dakota, Tesla has changed their construction techniques for Supercharger construction for chains of locations. All of the sites from Eastern Alberta to the Western Ontario border have been partially built (mostly by the same crew), but with power inspections not yet done and pedestals missing. I would think that this part of the process can be done quickly. We've been pretty much assuming that there is a pedestal shortage, or V2/V3 secrecy, or there is some other constraint, but it is possible that they want to get the lengthy part of the construction process out of the way before the ground freezes and spring a massive surprise opening on a string of Superchargers in a few short days.

In the context of this supercharger, it is possible that the groundwork construction will progress from Dickinson to Alexandria, then the pedestal work will go East to West. We also don't know what is happening in Montana, except for maybe a few privileged individuals (cough, @lightfoot3b, cough cough) that aren't saying.

Either way, I'm pretty happy to see the progress being made and I can hear Brünnhilde warming up in the next room.

Reactions: Utah John
It's somewhat unusual for Tesla to build a supercharger unreachable from a neighboring supercharger. Does this possibly mean that we are ignorant of superchargers currently under construction to the west of here? Anybody scouted recently?

Spearfish, SD is an easy drive from Dickenson.

I expect we will see those cones move down i94 until they finish in Alex.

Tesla now has a whole bunch of Superchargers with the groundwork done.

I think Tesla is taking a different approach to Supercharger buildout now, separating the groundwork and final wiring and commissioning. So Dickinson, ND construction starting doesn't mean it'll be the first Supercharger open in ND.

Reactions: SammichLover
Sure. But I'm wondering if Bighorn, Miles City, and/or Glendive in Montana might actually be under construction now.

I live in Billings and commute 150 miles to Miles City. I'm usually there for 3 or more days so a 120v circuit gets me home. A supercharger would be nice but we do have a NEMA 14-50 at the KOA. In any case, I have seen no construction in the likely spots but will keep an eye out. I will update if I learn anything interesting. Course the likely spots may not be the place to look. For permits, there is definitely nothing issued in Bighorn, a few recent active commercial electrical permits issued in Miles City and Glendive of uncertain source, at least to me. I assume those are the permits to watch?

I live in Billings and commute 150 miles to Miles City. I'm usually there for 3 or more days so a 120v circuit gets me home. A supercharger would be nice but we do have a NEMA 14-50 at the KOA. In any case, I have seen no construction in the likely spots but will keep an eye out. I will update if I learn anything interesting. Course the likely spots may not be the place to look. For permits, there is definitely nothing issued in Bighorn, a few recent active commercial electrical permits issued in Miles City and Glendive of uncertain source, at least to me. I assume those are the permits to watch?
You are probably the only TMC member that is regularly in this area so keep your eyes open :)

Pity that @Bighorn lives in Big Horn rather than in Bighorn, cause if he did live in Bighorn, he’d probably find all the construction :p

Right, Bighorn and Big Horn are very different places, aren't they? Not to mention the username. And don't even get me started on the other Big Horns, or rivers, or parks, or mountains, or canyons, or dams named Big Horn, or actual Big Horns, or Little Big Horn..........I rarely get over to Glendive but like Miles City it's big enough you could miss tucked away construction if you didn't have 10 minutes to drive around. Bighorn is different. There are only like 2 residents, maybe 3 on a good day. Maybe I'll stop by and ask for the skinny........no secrets in that town. Big Horn is a regular metropolis, upwards of 500 souls.........

Well, the fat lady ain't sung on any of them yet. Looking at Canada, and now North Dakota, Tesla has changed their construction techniques for Supercharger construction for chains of locations. All of the sites from Eastern Alberta to the Western Ontario border have been partially built (mostly by the same crew), but with power inspections not yet done and pedestals missing. I would think that this part of the process can be done quickly. We've been pretty much assuming that there is a pedestal shortage, or V2/V3 secrecy, or there is some other constraint, but it is possible that they want to get the lengthy part of the construction process out of the way before the ground freezes and spring a massive surprise opening on a string of Superchargers in a few short days.

In the context of this supercharger, it is possible that the groundwork construction will progress from Dickinson to Alexandria, then the pedestal work will go East to West. We also don't know what is happening in Montana, except for maybe a few privileged individuals (cough, @lightfoot3b, cough cough) that aren't saying.

Either way, I'm pretty happy to see the progress being made and I can hear Brünnhilde warming up in the next room.

I think the additional point is that the actual connections start in Deep River, on the way from Ottawa. The crew in Sault Ste Marie (Canada) said they were headed up to Wawa next, the next thing that passes for a stop within 200km (120mi). They could be finishing all the way to Thunder Bay and the prairies crew could have done the TransCanada to Thunder Bay also, and we'd not know about about it.

My thought is - either Tesla is still perfecting the V3 assembly line in Buffalo (NY), or they plan to deliver and connect everything as close to all at once as they can get to have a grand opening of the northern route. But check out the threads for North Bay, Deep River, Davidson, Sault... the rest of the cabinetry minus the pedestals is already being installed.

I wonder if they'll do the same to you - get all the base prep done and then hook up and go live with the whole string in a short time after that with a splashy announcement. But maybe a week or two after Trans-Canada announcement so it doesn't get drowned out in the news.

Spearfish, SD is an easy drive from Dickenson.

Try driving it pulling a camp trailer. I think we'll be skipping Theodore Roosevelt National Park on this trip. We are peeking into ND by staying in Fargo a couple nights. Getting out of there requires looping back through Minnesota and hitting one destination charger and a CHAdeMO before reaching supercharger civilization in South Dakota again. I am happy to see something get started in NoDak.