Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that the V3 Williams site is using modular pre-cast concrete bases for all the equipment bases instead of onsite concrete pouring.
Volume and distance - I suppose if you plan to put a lot of chargers in a small area - precast works. If you have to haul them several hours or days to site - easier to pour. But yes, interesting that the design detail has gotten to the point of designing precast segments.

I don’t know if it has been mentioned, but it’s about 210 miles from Dickinson to Spearfish. While not exactly fast, it does mean you could cross North Dakota and get to Montana via that route. Assuming the others east of Bismarck come online shortly

I don’t know if it has been mentioned, but it’s about 210 miles from Dickinson to Spearfish. While not exactly fast, it does mean you could cross North Dakota and get to Montana via that route. Assuming the others east of Bismarck come online shortly
It has been, including by me, and I’ve driven it. Pretty easy drive in an LR-D 3. The issues are:
1) winter
2) wind; that’s an area prone to very strong winds, primarily crosswind but headwind is also very possible. Wind so strong that wind turbines to the West in WY use offshore specs to survive it. You can see this along the way in the shelters that ranchers have set up for their cattle
3) vehicles that are at the edge of making 210 miles (someone above mentioned pulling a trailer)
4) about 10+ miles, if I remember correctly, of the shortest path are gravel and gravel is very hard on range

Last edited:
It has been, including by me, and I’ve driven it. Pretty easy drive in an LR-D 3. The issues are:
1) winter
2) wind; that’s an area prone to very strong winds, primarily crosswind, you can see this along the way in the shelters that ranchers have set up for their cattle
3) vehicles that are at the edge of making 210 miles (someone above mentioned pulling a trailer)
4) about 10+ miles, if I remember correctly, of the shortest path are gravel and gravel is very hard on range

Yes, but there no gravel in either of the routing options to Spearfish from Dickinson.

1) winter
2) wind; that’s an area prone to very strong winds, primarily crosswind but headwind is also very possible. Wind so strong that wind turbines to the West in WY use offshore specs to survive it. You can see this along the way in the shelters that ranchers have set up for their cattle

Been a while since I’ve been out that way, but I am familiar with it. Winter kills everything out there.

You forgot to mention the 1100 ft. elevation gain (from Dickinson to Spearfish)!

Factored into my calculations.

I think I would go along I-94 over to Belfield then take 85 down. Only a difference of ~ 4km 2.5 mi.

Probably a good option. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been that way. But it’s better than not making it across Dickinson to Billings!

1) winter

Been a while since I’ve been out that way, but I am familiar with it. Winter kills everything out there.

You forgot to mention the 1100 ft. elevation gain (from Dickinson to Spearfish)!

I think I would go along I-94 over to Belfield then take 85 down. Only a difference of ~ 4km 2.5 mi.

Probably a good option. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been that way. But it’s better than not making it across Dickinson to Billings!

Charge at the campground in Miles city, still faster than the extra distance and far less energy used. But it's the same idea of why I have taken this route to MSP. Hundreds of miles longer, but still faster if there is no overnight stay on L2, just in the Dickinson to Billings case it's only 325 miles instead of 470 to Clearwater from Dickinson. The real win is soon i94 from Dickinson East shouldn't be an issue!

It's interstate to go to Belfield. If you take hwy 22 south its 65mph, then the cut across (West) on the south end of New England (55mph road) you cut off a couple miles and have a lower average speed. So if it's a range issue (as it was for my P85, I don't think the P100D will have an issue as all the long range 3s have been sailing through) this is the best route. Belfield south would be a few minutes quicker.

Glendive would be an good entry from Regina to the I-94 corridor, so I would like it.:) Very much please.

Ok, let's compromise. Let's say one SC in Glendive and one in Miles City, just as the good lord intended. By the way, I stopped off in Bighorn a few days ago and.........seriously? I had forgotten, Bighorn has one wide-eyed cow standing guard, a shed, a few rusty vehicles parked strategically in a trailer field, a ranch on the horizon, all topped off by an abandoned church and abandoned roadside commercial building from the 70s. If you call that a road.........perfect! Not even a paved commercial lot. Custer at least has a restaurant with a lot and an ICE station.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Ah, Miles City, Home of 4B's world famous Tomato Soup. My wife makes me stop there, so a SuC would be nice also. I take the road south to WY from there. However, ABRP says different though & that's OK by me.

Yep, Portal would work for me also, but if we are listing places that are very doubtful on getting a SuC I would add Minot. As they say "Why Not, Minot?" I have suggested it to Tesla.