Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did a 10 minutes project to install Dashcam and 4 ports front/back seats quick USB charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved my dashcam from the 12V accessory plug to the unused flat plug in the microphone area, partly to get rid of a long wire and partly so it could be on even while parked. There has been no noticeable change in vampire drain after making that change. I was worried about it originally and put it off a long time because of that, but I eventually ran the numbers and decided to go for it. Mine (BlackVue DR650GW-1CH) is listed as drawing a maximum of 3.4W, and presumably the average is much less. The car averages something like 50W while "off."

Mikeash, I did the same. Connected to the unused plug in behind the overhead speaker grill. Then I had an idea. I bought a single pole 12v remote on/off switch on Amazon. I took it out of the plastic box it was mounted in and added another fuse. I added it to the connection in the overhead speaker grill. Now I can use the remote to turn the dashcam (Blackvue 550) on and off. Off when its sitting overnight in the garage in the dark.