Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did a 10 minutes project to install Dashcam and 4 ports front/back seats quick USB charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
I tested the usb ports with Tesla. it's bad in design with 4 problems:
  1. it only outputs 5w total (5v x 1a) which is slow for iPhone 6/6s+ which can draw 10w tops or iPad 12w tops.
  2. it won't cut off power after shutdown the car, which is not good for dashcam and increase vampire drain
  3. it automatically connects phones and bypass bluetooth music, and everyone knows it's pain to navigate thousands of songs in car media player.
  4. Not a problem, but 2 USB ports is not enough for current day: USB thumbdrive, phones, other devices etc...
So I added a dashcam to my new Tesla Model S and fix the problem with USB charging at the same time.

Time:
10 minutes

Cost
:

ETech 48W 9.6A 4-Port USB Car Charger x1 $12.99
3M Scotch Heavy Duty Mounting Tape x1 $4.99
Xiaomi yi dashcam x1 $54.99

The 12v charger I choose can give me 2 front port with 2.4a per ports(12w), and 2 back seats USB ports also provide 2.4a(12w) each port.

61rCacuXKJL._SL1500_.jpg

Front USBx2: I connect it with dock lightning cable and extra lightning cable for passenger seats or if I prefer using my phone and don't want 'dock' it underneath.

DSCF3003.jpg

Back seats USBx2: I 3M it to the AC vent, one port for Dashcam, and another is open for guests

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

The dashcam part I'll talk in following posts:

DSCF2968.jpg

This is the package:
I bought it because of the L-shape Micro USB charging cable flexibility. it won't occupy a 12v charger port like normal dashcam did.

xiaomi-yi-dashboard-camera-03.jpg

Here is what it looks like in car:
IMG_0376.jpg

and the cable directly goes to window shade:
IMG_0377.jpg

This is how to hide the cable, I did this on every cars, so no drill no modification, just hide it under the cover:

IMG_0380.jpg

you can see how the cable curve into the headliner slots:

IMG_0378.jpg

the cable can be hide inside the rubbery parts:

IMG_0382.jpg

then goes out to the glove box:

IMG_0381.jpg

the most non elegant part: a cable cross glove box:

IMG_0386.jpg

Then went here:

IMG_0388.jpg

and finally reach to the back seats usb ports:
The best part is the cable just long enough to do the job, no more no less :D

IMG_0360.jpg

• it automatically connects phones and bypass bluetooth music, and everyone knows it's pain to navigate thousands of songs in car media player.

I don't understand this comment. At least for an iPhone, the USB does nothing but charge. It does not bypass bluetooth or allow any music over USB. Maybe Android is different.

Also, maybe people (myself included) want the dashcam to be active 24x7 to capture parking events via motion or g-force detection. So constant 12v (or 5v) is preferred.

I don't understand this comment. At least for an iPhone, the USB does nothing but charge. It does not bypass bluetooth or allow any music over USB. Maybe Android is different.

Also, maybe people (myself included) want the dashcam to be active 24x7 to capture parking events via motion or g-force detection. So constant 12v (or 5v) is preferred.

Sure, I think that's a valid point to keep dashcam running if the car is charging frequently.

Charging doesn't really come into play. The dashcams pull such low power, they'll hardly effect vampire drain. They typically draw about 200ma, and at 5v, that's just one watt.

I recently moved my dashcam from the 12V accessory plug to the unused flat plug in the microphone area, partly to get rid of a long wire and partly so it could be on even while parked. There has been no noticeable change in vampire drain after making that change. I was worried about it originally and put it off a long time because of that, but I eventually ran the numbers and decided to go for it. Mine (BlackVue DR650GW-1CH) is listed as drawing a maximum of 3.4W, and presumably the average is much less. The car averages something like 50W while "off."

I recently moved my dashcam from the 12V accessory plug to the unused flat plug in the microphone area, partly to get rid of a long wire and partly so it could be on even while parked. There has been no noticeable change in vampire drain after making that change. I was worried about it originally and put it off a long time because of that, but I eventually ran the numbers and decided to go for it. Mine (BlackVue DR650GW-1CH) is listed as drawing a maximum of 3.4W, and presumably the average is much less. The car averages something like 50W while "off."
Hey Mikeash. Did you use the Power Magic Battery pack or just connect to the unused flat plug? I get my BlackVue 1ch in a few days. Thanks