Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did a 2,800 mile trip in our Y and had three instances of screen going black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I drove from Tucson to Cape Cod the last six days. Had the screen go black three times. Made the mistake of doing a back to factory reboot (I didn't have a clue what to do when it happened). Screen went black two more times, both times it healed itself.

Watched some videos about it. Suggested the simple reboot (did that, but probably not the right way). Anyone like to offer some thoughts on how to prevent this from happening again.

Oh, one last thought. How the hell is Tesla going to put out Robo-Taxis if their newest model cars have screens that go black without warning??

Rich

...How the hell is Tesla going to put out Robo-Taxis if their newest model cars have screens that go black without warning??...

I guess it should have 2 different independent Full Self Driving computers and 2 different Operating Systems in case there's a software bug.

Right now, it has 2 duplicated Full Self Driving chips on the same board.

When your screen goes blank, the basic Autopilot of TACC and AutoSteer should not currently be affected.

The more advanced features are down when your screen goes blank: Navigation on Autopilot. It doesn't know when to turn to an exit.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
A bit confused by the black screen of death title. Maybe I am misunderstanding, yet implies to me something really serious happened. So if the screen goes black, I guess it acts like my ice car that has no screen at all. It still drives with no issue. So what was the big problem that occurred other than the fact it went black for a while? In over 40,000 miles and 4 years of driving, I never had that happen.

... So what was the big problem that occurred other than the fact it went black for a while? In over 40,000 miles and 4 years of driving, I never had that happen.
Well, it was a bit of a shock when getting into the car at the motel in the early AM to find the screen a total blank. I mean, virtually every meaningful control of the car, mapping system, etc., interfaces with that one screen.

Rich

Watched some videos about it. Suggested the simple reboot (did that, but probably not the right way). Anyone like to offer some thoughts on how to prevent this from happening again.

Oh, one last thought. How the hell is Tesla going to put out Robo-Taxis if their newest model cars have screens that go black without warning??

Probably similar to what I was experiencing. My screen would intermittently become unresponsive (screen animations would still work) or go completely blank. I recorded the last instance on my phone and dropped the car at Tesla S/C. They said it was a defective coaxial cable and replaced it with a new one. They must of have issues with a particular batch, my replacement one at a newer revision number ("E") compared to the defective one. My car was built 3/3/2021.

I'd still have the S/C check the coaxial cable. Tesla changing the revision number of the part leads me to believe they identified some issue would the old part and made improvements to the new cable. I would record a video of it as the s/c asked for it incase they couldn't reproduce the problem.

I will do that. For the next six months I'll be on Cape Cod, and the nearest service center is, well, not close... It'll have to wait till we get back to AZ.

Rich

A bit confused by the black screen of death title. Maybe I am misunderstanding, yet implies to me something really serious happened. So if the screen goes black, I guess it acts like my ice car that has no screen at all. It still drives with no issue. So what was the big problem that occurred other than the fact it went black for a while? In over 40,000 miles and 4 years of driving, I never had that happen.
Except without a instrument cluster, normal wiper controls & someone correct me if I’m wrong but also indicators?