Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did a factory reset (as suggested by Tesla) to sell the car, and now it doesn't show mileage (--). [resolved by driving car after reset]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, was going to delete stuff individually on my 2021 M3 LR, but found out Tesla recommends doing a 'factory reset'. Car is going to get picked up tomorrow, so I just did that now. And everything got deleted (nice!), but also the freaking odometer; WTF? Is there anything I can do to bring it back? Buyer might refuse to pick it up if not able to verify miles. HELP. Thank you.
JC

May I ask how? When I did the reset, everything went black for minutes, then lots of weird noises, and then HVAC at full blast, and screen asking all kinds of questions. The only reboot I remember is holding both steering wheel buttons at the same time. Is that it? Thank you for your prompt reply. Thankfully it still has the older software version, so the trunk works correctly.

The best thing to do is, if the screen is active, do a power off command in the menu and leave the car alone for 15 -20 minutes. If the screen is not active simply do the same thing, walk away and leave it and let it go to sleep.

The odometer is a protected data source, so resetting the car like that wont erase that counter (at least not that I have ever heard of anywhere).

Okay, before I saw your post, got in the car, and screen was off before opening the door, but car was making noises. Same thing (no odo), so did a screen reset (both steering wheel buttons for several seconds), and screen went black, came back on after a few minutes, and same crap. Will leave it alone for a while, per your recommendation, and see if the issue resolves itself. But man, this should NOT happen; geez. The mileage should be sacred, and not disappear like that. Glad I did the reset now, instead of right before car left, or I'd be in deep doo-doo. Hope it comes back, or I'll have a big problem. Also called Tesla, and I'm waiting a callback, but I bet won't get it today, since they're going to close soon. We'll see. Thanks a million for your help.

Okay, before I saw your post, got in the car, and screen was off before opening the door, but car was making noises. Same thing (no odo), so did a screen reset (both steering wheel buttons for several seconds), and screen went black, came back on after a few minutes, and same crap. Will leave it alone for a while, and see if the issue resolves itself. What a PITA. This shouldn't happen, no? The mileage should be sacred, and not disappear like that. Glad I did the reset now, instead of right before car left, or I'd be in deep doo-doo. Hope it comes back, or I'll have a big problem. Also called Tesla, and I'm waiting a callback, but I bet won't get it, since they're going to close soon. We'll see. Thanks a million for your help.

Is like you are sitting in the car during a firmware update. If you havent ever done that, the car does all sorts of stuff. I am virtually certain its not gone, its just re building the firmware. Leave it alone for like 30 minutes or so (dont access the app or anything).

When I did the same thing to my wifes X3 when I sold it in march, it took like 20 minutes rebuilding itself as well, so this is similar.

Update. Nothing worked. Called Tesla, and after 1/2-hr of holding, finally somebody picked up before closing. Agent tried resetting the system over the air, but didn't work. He put me on hold like 10 minutes to ask service experts, and they said to do the software update. That it should fix it. I told him it'd screw up my trunk, but guy said service dept would do it anyway, so I had to do it. And no way buyer would go ahead with the sale without the odo showing, so did the freaking update. After 2 hours total, same crap: just '---- mi', in both software and trip menus. And blank on the app. So I'm screwed right now. Truck is picking up car at 10am, so hope dealer can do something on time. It's unbelievable that this is happening. My freaking luck. This deal better not go sour, as nobody else would give me $56,500 if the deal collapses. Guess stupid car got upset I'm selling it. Ha ha.

Just saw MP3Mike's suggestion, and I just told my wife the same thing, if driving would somehow trigger something, since mileage is supposed to be recorded. So will do it right now around the block, and see what happens. Will be back shortly, and update you guys. Wish me luck. Ha ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo and MP3Mike
Went to drive the car, and as soon as I had it on the driveway, ready to go around the neighborhood, BAM!, odo is back. Yeeeeey! What a relief. And freaking trunk works too, so all seems well for now, but I just want this damn thing GONE already. Ha ha. Thank you for all the great help and suggestions.

Hey guys, since you're super knowledgeable about this car, what else do I need to do after the check clears? I was expecting my phone not to work after the master reset, but it does. I already deleted my wife from the app, so I assume I have to somehow delete my account on the app too, right? Any instructions how to do that? New app update said that deleting car was added, but don't see anything. And how about the website? Need to do anything there? To make sure I do what needs to be done to allow new owner to claim the car, and not have control over it when it's not mine anymore. Thank you guys.

Reactions: DrGriz
Went to drive the car, and as soon as I had it on the driveway, ready to go around the neighborhood, BAM!, odo is back. Yeeeeey! What a relief. And freaking trunk works too, so all seems well for now, but I just want this damn thing GONE already. Ha ha. Thank you for all the great help and suggestions.
That is expected given the mileage info is stored in various subsystems (like the drive unit) so even if completely deleted from the main computer it can still "sync" by itself to restore it.
Hey guys, since you're super knowledgeable about this car, what else do I need to do after the check clears? I was expecting my phone not to work after the master reset, but it does. I already deleted my wife from the app, so I assume I have to somehow delete my account on the app too, right? Any instructions how to do that? New app update said that deleting car was added, but don't see anything. And how about the website? Need to do anything there? To make sure I do what needs to be done to allow new owner to claim the car, and not have control over it when it's not mine anymore. Thank you guys.
There are instructions here on how the new owners can take ownership.
Tesla Account Support

However, as others suggested, don't remove your own access beforehand or you may end up in a situation where no one has access the car and they will have a hard time doing it.

Resetting the car might reset the phone key (although it's possible it's still stored somewhere), but all the app functions will obviously still work given that is based on your online account (which is still linked to the car).

Thanks guys. I'm selling it to GMTV (give me the vin), which will obviously resell it to somebody else, so not sure how to handle that. Guy said to transfer it to the salesman that first contacted me, so might have to do that. It shouldn't be an issue where the car is not assigned to anybody, since that was the case when new, no? And car works with the credit card 'keys' in the mean time. But please let me know what's the best way to handle this 3rd party sale. And yes, my phone still works as key; I tried it when moving car out of the garage, and it still worked. But can ask salesman to download the app first, then transfer car to him, no? And he could do the same with the end buyer. Thanks guys.

By the way, now instead of my address, car shows it's in California. Ha ha. I do have location services off, but always have it off, and app still showed where car was at all times. The car's GPS should show where it actually is, no? Weird.

Thanks guys. I'm selling it to GMTV (give me the vin), which will obviously resell it to somebody else, so not sure how to handle that. Guy said to transfer it to the salesman that first contacted me, so might have to do that. It shouldn't be an issue where the car is not assigned to anybody, since that was the case when new, no? And car works with the credit card 'keys' in the mean time. But please let me know what's the best way to handle this 3rd party sale. And yes, my phone still works as key; I tried it when moving car out of the garage, and it still worked. But can ask salesman to download the app first, then transfer car to him, no? And he could do the same with the end buyer. Thanks guys.
Technically, they can go through Tesla and finish the process, but there have been reports of issues with the process sometimes and someone still having access to app would help. I guess if they are ok with key card access only, that isn't as much of an issue.
By the way, now instead of my address, car shows it's in California. Ha ha. I do have location services off, but always have it off, and app still showed where car was at all times. The car's GPS should show where it actually is, no? Weird.
The car doesn't update the location unless the car's wheels move and it also has cell reception. People have reported their cars getting towed and the location not updating. As for showing California, it probably reset to some default and would update if you drive it a bit more.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
i sold my last tesla to driveway. i did the full reset and no data was on the screen. it took several minutes for things to pop up and once the car was driving other things popped up. i think what you saw at first is normal on a factory reset, but that data (i.e. mileage) was not lost.

Just curious, what's up with the trunk? Why were you concerned about that?
It's been acting up the last 3 software updates, only opening half way, and many owners bending stuff when trying to force it open or close. But it's less of an issue on the last and current update, reportedly. At least the only time I tried yesterday, trunk opened fine, and with no double-beeps, so hope it stays that way for the new owner. The next update should completely eliminate it, but it doesn't sound reassuring when Tesla screws something up, and takes THREE updates to fix it.

Car is gone now, and no more surprises, so all seems well. And I already released the car, so a new owner can claim it. Also disabled mobile access before car left, and removed my 'phone as key', which was still there, surprisingly. Just hope both checks clear (I sold them 2 vehicles, so over 100 grand in limbo). But were checks from BofA, where I bank, and were legitimate checks, so all should be well. Surprisingly, the transporter told me he's dropping the vehicles at the Manheim in Dallas, so guess GMTV is auctioning the cars there? I say there's no freaking way they could make money at auction at the prices they paid me, plus the $400 transport fee for each. I thought they were selling them at retail, but I doubt it. It sounds like a laundromat operation, like somebody mused, no? Ha ha.

Reactions: RTPEV
I had this exact same thing happen to me last year when I did a reboot. I lost map data, all my profile settings log in info, mileage and even my lifetime kWh. I ended up having to enter all my settings back in manually and once driven the map data and mileage came back but I did lose my lifetime kWh data, which sucks. Now I'm afraid to ever do a reboot again.

I'm glad I read this thread before having my 2022 model 3 picked up for 7k more than I paid for it, I will wait a few days and reset it online instead of in vehicle,
You should reset it in vehicle as you will not be able to reset the information later. Absolutely (positively) "nothing" happened here, other than the OP of the thread getting anxious about something.