Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did a P85D vs. Roadster comparison (back to back/not side by side) on Sunday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did you not do a P85D vs Roadster acceleration drag :frown:

It's been done before with a signature P85 v. Signature Roadster, and I figured it made it's way around the forum by now.

3 Teslas Racing, Part 1 - YouTube

But anyway, the track was set up for one car at a time. So I had my fun in the P85D, and then took the Roadster out. The track was wet and (unfortunately for the Roadster) gravelly.

The Roadster is so fun to drive. But the P85D is SO FAST.

I'm really bummed because I really, really want a P85D now.

Having now driven the D myself (last month in Fremont) I would subjectively say the D is almost certainly quicker in a straight line....but the laws of physics say that the Roadster will corner better :)

The front end was pretty squirrely in the Roadster on the Gravel, and it was not at all in the P85D. Then again, I did the track three times in the Roadster, but only once in the P85D. The first time I really was on the accelerator as much as I had been in the P85D. What's in the video is the second time I went around the track, and I went much slower the second time because of all the gravel.

The Roadster is still much more fun to drive. I think.

The P85D is clearly faster in a straight line from zero. And it has many practical advantages (AWD, supercharging, far more room for people and cargo, easier to get in and out of, more creature comforts and technology, far better ride, etc). And it has great handling; near the limit (though you should only be encountering that on the track) it is better than the Roadster.

But the Roadster has far better steering feel, and weighing a ton less it feels far more fun to toss around corners (until you get near the limit where understeer kicks in) even though I don't think subjectively the handling is better (the Model S does a great job of going where you point it and staying composed; but it still feels ponderous in comparison). You sit low and are wrapped in the Roadster's cockpit; some people don't like that, but I sure do. And you can take the top off. And of course the Roadster is far more efficient, which is the practical reason I still keep one around.

Overall, I find the Roadster a lot more fun for day-to-day driving and I love the efficiency; but for a road trip (or taking friends for an introductory 0-60 blast) the P85D is clearly the car of choice. And obviously there are many cases where the extra room of the Model S can be required.

Of course, the best option is to have both!

Last edited:
I test drove the P85D and then as soon as I was home drove my Roadster.

Obviously the P85D is more refined and crazy fast for it's size but it also felt much heavier and watching it run up to 480kw vs in the Roadster getting the same acceleration at 200kw is certainly a different feeling. The Roadster feels more nimble and is much more fun to drive but the P85D certainly wins out for any thoughts of roadtrip or passenger hauling... in those ways it feels more practical but so doe big suv. The Roadster shines in its abilities to deliver an ultra efficient driving experience as well as an ultra exciting one. Driving the 2 similarly i obtained 270wh/mi in roadster vs 490wh/mi in the P85D. We were thinking of swapping out the Roadster for the P85D but I wasn't impressed enough by it to do so, I thought it was going to feel much faster but really "felt" the same, just using twice as much energy to do so...

I own a roadster and get loaner Sedans all the time. I also drove the P85D.

I will be in a clear minority, but I absolutely hate the sedan. I hate it in all its configurations.

The driver's door front pillar to the windshield is raked too low, meaning you need to twist to get in. No other car I have driven has this problem. The support where the driver's car door meets frame at the back of the driver's car door is too far forward. I and many others standing between 5'10" and 6'3" and of various ages 25-55 all agree that it is annoying to the right hip when getting in and out. Stupid design.

The car is not as tight on the road as it should be for a car that quick. It just feels sluggish in the steering and handling compared to something like a BMW. (Yes... I was in Sport mode). (Yes I drove both spring and air suspension vehicles. Springs just suc, and airbags are much better, but airbags ain't great either).

The seats are underwhelming. Not as comfortable for long drives as one might expect for my friends and myself, especially those of us over 5'10".

I hate the fact that I need to do a computer search whenever I need to control the A/C or heating, open the sunroof, etc... It is a distraction from driving and keeping eyes on the road. Simple buttons are better.

The radio reception is poor. Digital radio station reception is worse. Having to use a touchscreen interface sucks, especially on a bumpy road is horrible, as it is more common than not to hit the wrong station.. The steering wheel controls are too sensitive and poorly placed. I find that I hit the station change button by accident all too frequently.

Even the cup-holders are too far back, meaning that if you use the cup-holder you cannot rest your arm comfortably.

There should be at least 3 more inches rear seat room.

Mileage per charge should be 350. The batteries suck in the Winter, making them yield half predicted mileage, and 140 mile per charge in Winter is too little. In the Summer I do a lot of stop and go driving with the A/C on, so again mileage sucks. They need a larger battery even if that is a bit less efficient as far as the weight of the car.

So yes.... it goes fast in a straight line. That is not the only reason I drive.

My Roadster is my hands down favorite. I may lose in acceleration, but I gain in comfort and feel and enjoyment.

Best,

T

Last edited:
@TOBASH, I also own a Roadster and an S. I am 6'2". I have no trouble getting in and out of the S. Getting in and out of the Roadster is a bit of a contortion with the top on. I love the S for road trips (I strongly disagree with almost all of your criticisms) but prefer the Roadster for my regular driving in the SF Bay Area because I prefer small cars and the Roadster is such a blast to drive, even though it is very noisy going over bumps, has massive wind noise over 65mph, the suspension is very stiff, the controls are primitive compared to the S, and it has very few luxury features (in fact is even missing basic features like seat tilt adjustment!).

Different cars for different uses. Both are amazing cars and I am very fortunate to own them.

TOBASH;1040148 The driver's door front pillar to the windshield is raked too low said:
While the Model S is strangely difficult to get in and out of for a large sedan due to the A-pillar - Anyone who owns a Roadster has forfeited any right to complain about how hard it is to get in and out of any other car.

I also own a Roadster and a P85 (no D) and I find that I drive the Model S 75% of the time out of convenience. It is a great car - but not a sports car. However, the truth is that I enjoy a convertible over a sedan or coupe despite almost any other drawbacks. On a nice day, I'd rather drive a 90HP MGB than a 400HP M5.

The Roadster is a joy to get in and out of with the top removed.
I frequently wear a jacket on cold clear mornings so I can keep the top off. I have risked many grey skies.

I have also had to partially undo the top a few times to get into the car when someone has close-parked me and prevented me from opening the door enough to get in.