Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did a wood dash trim delete today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
don't know if I'll stick with this one or send back and get a real carbon one, but for $43

it was a great way to get an idea of what it will look like...sure transforms the interior and looks much better now....was never a fan of the faux wood dash trim, like this much much better....

250354D7-DAE8-43BB-9271-DD283776A111.jpeg

4D069E8E-E5D7-49FC-AA31-F660A407D103.jpeg

89D52B9D-AD45-4633-9338-0CF3F6839ABC.jpeg

shows better in the sun...

6664DF45-4413-422D-A7D8-8EE2E86D109C.jpeg
528DE2A7-852A-4B7A-A182-5F7E6C6BF6B2.jpeg

this is it next to the OEM rear spoiler for comparison

F6B6E751-0476-41CB-9E8B-C880C37F19A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! I did a real TSportline carbon one on my ‘18 3. Expensive but really nice (after I added 3 rattle can spray coats of clear satin for uV protection).
What you did is a great lower cost option that leaves future changes to anything else very easy.

Reactions: M3_Performante
The carbon looks nice but there's certainly some humor in covering a real wood dashboard with faux plastic in the name of authenticity.
No surprise that Tesla concluded we can't have nice things.

yeah, I think most people cover it in the name of aesthetics as opposed to authenticity tbh.... No surprise Tesla is ditching it, although I don't know why they wouldn't leave it as an option for those who like it and willing to pay for it?

I think they should have several options for buyers...CF, brushed aluminum, alcantara, wood, etc...

Looks pretty good to me and like you said a good option for someone wanting to test it out to do something else for a while. I've been toying with the idea of making my own brushed aluminum piece for my own car but know it would be a lot of work to make look good. Probably even longer since I would probably not like my first version and would redo it at least once. Did a ton of brushed aluminum in the car I have been building in my home garage the past few years and really dig the look with rivets. The big thing stopping me is that it will probably feel really out of place in the Tesla and I have not seen anyone else do anything along those lines yet. Seeing this for $43 sure makes it seems even less practical. Maybe wrapping the existing piece is the way to go.

i ended up doing a DIY white conversion on my own and like it so much better than the wood/black look. got a white replacement from ebay for like $60, got some door keycaps, wrapped my steering wheel and put on seat covers. i get so many more compliments on the white interior and i like it much better in general.

I never liked the wood dash and ordered mine with white. After tinting my windows I got so much refection of the dash when looking in my side mirror that I covered the white dash with CF, which I think looks much better. Also did my door accents to match. Not authentic, but does the trick for me at minimal cost.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I think there are a few materials that would look good on the dash, carbon fiber, aluminum, alcantara like on the door panels to name a few.

This is an area where I do wish Tesla had a couple options to choose from. I know the wood in my M3P is real, It’s never been my thing, I've always thought wood in a car is a bit odd.

I think there are a few materials that would look good on the dash, carbon fiber, aluminum, alcantara like on the door panels to name a few.

This is an area where I do wish Tesla had a couple options to choose from. I know the wood in my M3P is real, It’s never been my thing, I've always thought wood in a car is a bit odd.

I do wonder if it is the harking back to wood = quality coachwork. The old Jags, Rolls Royce, Bentley etc always seemed to be the height of decadence to have some tree carcass plastered all over. But that was in lounges on wheels type of cars - old boys clubs etc :D
Or it could just be to suggest the green element - like the BMW i3 ?

It does seem really out of place to me though on the M3, because it is just that one piece and is a stark contrast to the already large amount of different materials and finishes throughout the cabin. Especially with the black interior, just doesn't "fit" to me

Reactions: Keninblaine
I do wonder if it is the harking back to wood = quality coachwork. The old Jags, Rolls Royce, Bentley etc always seemed to be the height of decadence to have some tree carcass plastered all over. But that was in lounges on wheels type of cars - old boys clubs etc :D
Or it could just be to suggest the green element - like the BMW i3 ?

It does seem really out of place to me though on the M3, because it is just that one piece and is a stark contrast to the already large amount of different materials and finishes throughout the cabin. Especially with the black interior, just doesn't "fit" to me

especially on the Performance models....just seems out of place

I'm guessing if they offered options, wood would be probably least optioned on any model though

Reactions: M00cow
Not only does the "board" in "dashboard" traditionally refer to an actual wooden plank, but Tesla's general interior design might best be described as "Scandanavian", which is a style somewhat characterized as simple and minimalist with a prominent streak of natural wood.

View attachment 919758

looks great in that house.....just not so much in any car built in 1990 and beyond tho😜

I can see where they got it from considering the whole nature vibe the lead designer is attracted to going back to his Mazda days and his "Nagare" concepts....

Reactions: Keninblaine
Has anyone tried doing a different wood veneer or even a full piece of wood? I can't exactly put my finger on what I don't love about it. It seems like a pretty simple cheap piece to me is part of it I guess. I normally like some wood in a simple setting, but this piece is not anything you wow someone with. The simple grain makes it feel mass market and cheap to me. Not really luxurious. I'm thinking of something with more chatoyance or maybe an ebony. I don't know, I'm not sure it won't look out of place too. I don't know, just spitballing options as I'm also wanting to tweak the interior and do something different.