Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone bring a magnet to the reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car and Driver said they did in their write-up. They reported finding almost no magnetic materials in the body, including the B-pillar. I wouldn't take it too seriously, however. There may be a lot of printed (minimally structural) panels on a prototype.

I cannot see how they could switch to steel from aluminum. Completely different process on stamping and recalibrating everything would probably cause all sorts of issues. Tesla needs to stay with their strengths, which is aluminum fabrication.

In one of the videos I watched of people's experiences riding in the M3 last night answered this exact question. The Tesla driver said that it is made of a combination of steel and aluminum but they were not specifically addressing where or how much. He did say that it was more steel than aluminum.

• Informative
Reactions: jscholl and ibdb
I cannot see how they could switch to steel from aluminum. Completely different process on stamping and recalibrating everything would probably cause all sorts of issues. Tesla needs to stay with their strengths, which is aluminum fabrication.

Not necessarily. But the Model 3 will have its own production line as stated repeatedly by Tesla

In the video I saw the driver said that it was a mix, and acknowledged the frame is mostly steel but didn't say anything about the panels.

Majority of manufacturers do this now. A lot of vehicles have aluminum hoods. The F-150 is all aluminum on a steel frame.

I'm hoping its galvanized steel like VW uses, although current galvanizensing is very environmentally damaging