Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone come from bigger size sedan to Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla members,
I'm pretty sure that you all came from different vehicles to Tesla and wanted to ask for your comment/feedback.

I currently have an Audi A7 and thinking about getting a Tesla as I fell in love with Tesla after test-driving 3, Y, S, and X.
A7 is a full size sedan and an equivalent model would be Model S.
However, I personally did not like S because 1) I think 3 looks better, 2) My wife did not want to drive my car (current A7) because it was too big, 3) new fresh new design may come soon in 2022, 4) I like 3's clean no-cluster on dashboard.

On other hand, Model 3 seems a bit too narrow and lacks legroom in the back seat but i think it may be do-able.

I wanted to hear from the current Model 3 owners, who came from full size sedan to Model 3 and if you regret for limited space.

Thanks!

Reactions: beachmiles
Not coming from a full size like your A7... but my prior cars are Sonata, Prius, Outback. If you're used to good front legroom, you'll get it in the 3 but the rear will be tight for legroom, really tight. When I put my front seat in my comfortable position (6', 190lb), I cannot lower the rear seats, the headrests hits the back of the front seats. In the front, it's narrower than the mid-size sedans but it doesn't feel tight. So for just Driver/passenger, I feel no significant difference. The rear certainly will.

I came from a Model S. (But I can only compare to that, as all previous cars were smaller).

I miss the S's cargo space...it had about twice the room of the 3, in both the frunk and the rear cargo area. Plus the auto hatch. Sigh.

But as for passenger space? The S and 3 are really very similar for the first 4 passengers. Only the 5th one in the middle of the back seat will complain about shoulder space.

I am only of average size, but I think the vast majority of people will be fine in the front. Of course the rear is never as spacious, but frankly I think more than head, shoulder or leg room, rear passengers are most likely to complain about how low the seat is - there is no thigh support. My kids are both over 6' and they are fine back there except for the missing thigh support on long drives. They don't have extra room, but they can sit without banging against anything. But the S was very nearly the same.

We went from Infiniti G35 sedan. The kids' car seats fit fine, even when we had a rear facing. I'm only 5'6" though. The car feels more nimble in the city, despite having about the same turn radius.

As ChadS mentioned, front-to-back is only a few inches shorter than Model S. But the car is definitely narrow. Not sure about physical dimensions, but psychologically I feel planted in a race seat in the Model 3; contrast that with a comfy recliner in the G35. On long trips I have a separate "highway" setting on Model 3 to try and give me that same comfort as G35, and it works out quite well.

I came from a 2013 Ford Taurus, definitely a full-size vehicle. I actually find the 3 has MORE room for the front passengers. The back seat is definitely smaller, but we were able to make a 300-mile (each way) trip with four adults comfortably.

1. *Their
  2. Tesla doesn't have a dealer network; they sell direct
  3. They build the best dammed electric car out there
Sorry, but it's the truth.

I have a model 3 performance with a 1000 miles on it. It rattles, not one door panel is lined up. Door handles are recessed. Fogging issues in lights. Handling is lathargic, yes its quick with a SOC greater than 85%, but that's it. Never been so let down with a car in my life. Embarrassed to actually take people for a drive. And of course everyone wants to go for a ride.

Hello Tesla members,
I'm pretty sure that you all came from different vehicles to Tesla and wanted to ask for your comment/feedback.

I currently have an Audi A7 and thinking about getting a Tesla as I fell in love with Tesla after test-driving 3, Y, S, and X.
However, I personally did not like S because 1) I think 3 looks better, 2) My wife did not want to drive my car (current A7) because it was too big, 3) new fresh new design may come soon in 2022, 4) I like 3's clean no-cluster on dashboard.

On other hand, Model 3 seems a bit too narrow and lacks legroom in the back seat but i think it may be do-able.

I wanted to hear from the current Model 3 owners, who came from full size sedan to Model 3 and if you regret for limited space.

Thanks!
I came from a6. I actually find the 3 to be more comfortable and spacious

I have a model 3 performance with a 1000 miles on it. It rattles, not one door panel is lined up. Door handles are recessed. Fogging issues in lights. Handling is lathargic, yes its quick with a SOC greater than 85%, but that's it. Never been so let down with a car in my life. Embarrassed to actually take people for a drive. And of course everyone wants to go for a ride.

I'll take your "terrible" car off your hands for free. No better deal than that

Hello Tesla members,

Thanks!

The Model S is almost universally agreed on to be the better looking car. in particular in real life without a wide angle the Model 3 looks slightly froglike due to the short snut from side and front. The Model S has a normal sized bonnet and just looks a lot better.

Both the Model S as well as the 3 are very wide cars - width is probably the same as a bmw 5 series?
The Model 3 is very tight in the rear - think Audi A3.

If you dont need the big trunk space or rear space of the S then pick the 3 if you dont mind the looks.

The Y has better rear space btw, you get like 4 or 5 inch more knee room in the back which is the same or better than a BMW 5 series.

Easiest thing would probably to go to a show room and drive both.

Stay with Audi if you want a superior built car. Yes, tesla has the best drivetrain but they can't build a car to save there lives and there dealer network is horrible. Sorry, but it's the truth.
I've had an Audi in the past and a BMW right before this Tesla. Here are a few of my observations:

Audi:
- Cars look nice, and interiors are much nicer than my model 3 IMO.
- Dealers and Audi Canada/USA are a nightmare to deal with after you've purchased the car. Unless there is a class action suit against them, don't expect them to rectify issues easily unless they're minor ones.

BMW:
- I've had a pretty similar issues with BMW when going to the dealership. Unless you purchase their top models (7/8 series and M series), don't expect much from them. I've seen the difference in service when you buy a top 3 series at 65k Canadian vs. an M5 at 170k. My friends M5, not mine. :)
- Definitely nicer interiors that any other cars I've been in, but I guess that's also a matter of opinion.

Many people tend to think that these legacy automakers have all their ducks in a row. Yes, they are able to get panel alignments done properly at the factory and do many other things correctly. But this forum isn't the only one I've been perusing for the last few years. Audi's and BMWs have issues with burning oil among many others depending on the generation and this from companies that have been producing cars for the better part of a century. Tesla definitely has issues and is held to a very high standard due to the celebrity status of their CEO and their disruptive nature. But from my very short experience, I've learned that mass producing anything comes at a price. Unless something is manufactured with Aerospace spec, expect issues.

Not really from a full size sedan.. but other cars are Acura MDX and Accord. I feel that Model 3 is more spacious inside than Accord and almost as comfortable to drive as the Acura minus SUV driving position. It may feel small when you get into the car, but I think A7 is also has a pretty low sitting position. When inside, the M3 is more spacious than an ICE car of a similar external size.

I should warn you though that the car may be sized by your wife.

Also, if concerned about size, you may consider Model Y instead. It is a couple inches wider and has more room in backseats if that is of any importance for you.

Last edited:
I came from an H2 and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I tried to see if a 3 would work for me as i wanted a lower cost for a Tesla. I'm 6'4 and decided after trying out a 3 that the only way to go was for myself to get an X and i absolutely love it. Lots of leg room in front and back. only extremely short or small people will fit in the 3'rd row. I dont get anywhere near the 3's range but thats cool. I will be taking my X on its first cross country road trip in about 3 weeks.