Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone come from bigger size sedan to Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 performance with a 1000 miles on it. It rattles, not one door panel is lined up. Door handles are recessed. Fogging issues in lights. Handling is lathargic, yes its quick with a SOC greater than 85%, but that's it. Never been so let down with a car in my life. Embarrassed to actually take people for a drive. And of course everyone wants to go for a ride.

Just wondering if you were able to talk to Tesla about some of these issues to get it fixed after delivery? For me, I noticed some misaligned panels and a tiny dent on one of my doors during my delivery appointment. I already set up a mobile service appointment to get it fixed (hopefully they will do it).

I had an Impala; my M3 feels so much better. It fits into garage easier too. I've owned a few full-size ICE cars over the past 40 years, and they all felt bulky, heavy and sluggish compared to the Tesla. No hump in the rear makes the middle seat more comfy. Rear shoulder room is compromised some, but unless passengers are in the car for hours, it shouldn't be an issue. How often do people ride in the back seat? And how much do you like them? ;) Those answers may help your decision.

I'm sorry to hear about the the trouble you've had, RefreshedP. Personally, the Tesla is the best car I've ever had. Not an iota of dissatisfaction. :)

I always scratch my head when people ask about the backseats. I mean, how many people do you plan on putting in the back? It never is more than 2 adults. It was 3 once and a while and four when you had to drop off one of your drunk friend’s who got ditched at a bar by his date(that’s another story for another time). I’ve got 3 series, and it is comparable to that but I also had a 2014 E class a few years back. The E Class had way more room in the back. But there is plenty of room, don’t worry, you’ll be fine.

I came from a BMW 5 series. I am 5’ 8” and the front in the M3 has plenty of space for me. Never sat in the back myself but I think the back is ok too. Have driven 2 average sized adults a few times and they were comfortable. For back passengers, knees do have a slightly raised position due to the battery pack eating up some space at the floor. Might get some what uncomfortable during long drives.

My car is pretty clean but it does have 1 or 2 misaligned panels/ doors. I used to give some thought to it but not anymore. It’s akin to wearing a very nice, smart shirt that has 1 or 2 small spots that are hardly visible. People will just notice the shirt. Give your car a thorough look at delivery. Get anything obvious corrected. Beyond that, just enjoy the car.

Reactions: DDHEverything
I came from a 5 series. I actually still have it, but need to sell it. 2010 535i M-Sport, 6 speed. I have modified it, makes about 360 horsepower. I do not miss it, and when I occasionally drive it, it feels unbelievably slow and heavy (despite being 1000 pounds lighter). I took a year longer than I should have to buy the 3 because of fears it would be too small. THe kids (2 16 y/o's and an 11 y/o) say it has more room than the 5. It definintely has more cargo space.

The build quality of the BMW is definitely better. My wife's Q7, however, it probably worse. The panels line up better, yes, but the roof constantly creaks. Opening and reclosing can help, but not always. And it has had electrical gremlins almost from day 1. And don't get me started on the cost the dealers charge for servicing ($750 for the 15K service, this was 5 years ago, which was an oil change and all the "inspections"). The BMW dealer here is so arrogant they charge 20% OVER retail for parts.

Tesla service is lacking for sure, but they aren't out to rape their customers.

You hit the nail on the head I think. Back when I was researching for the car we bought prior to the Tesla (2013 BMW 335i). I came to the conclusion that with the European brands, the local dealer should be the deciding factor on which brand you buy. Found loads of stories about the dealer making or breaking the ownership experience when you needed service after the sale.

We ended up going with BMW, and the local dealer was fantastic (it didn’t hurt that the service manager was my childhood best friends father). There was no local Audi dealer so I called the 4-5 that were closest (they were all about 350 miles away, so I didn’t know which one I’d have to deal with). I found some of them to be helpful, others plain rude.

I think I won the quality lottery with Tesla, I found one small imperfection in the paint during my first detail. My panel alignment is more than satisfactory to me. No real issues on delivery. Every car forum I’ve been on claims the paint of their brand is inferior to previous brands. I do believe that Tesla has had some of the worst paint issues due to the plant they adopted and what sounds like worthless QC measures. I’m satisfied with my car. Room is better than the 3 series. I do wish it had less road noise on less than perfect surfaces.

I've had an Audi in the past and a BMW right before this Tesla. Here are a few of my observations:

Audi:
- Cars look nice, and interiors are much nicer than my model 3 IMO.
- Dealers and Audi Canada/USA are a nightmare to deal with after you've purchased the car. Unless there is a class action suit against them, don't expect them to rectify issues easily unless they're minor ones.

BMW:
- I've had a pretty similar issues with BMW when going to the dealership. Unless you purchase their top models (7/8 series and M series), don't expect much from them. I've seen the difference in service when you buy a top 3 series at 65k Canadian vs. an M5 at 170k. My friends M5, not mine. :)
- Definitely nicer interiors that any other cars I've been in, but I guess that's also a matter of opinion.

Many people tend to think that these legacy automakers have all their ducks in a row. Yes, they are able to get panel alignments done properly at the factory and do many other things correctly. But this forum isn't the only one I've been perusing for the last few years. Audi's and BMWs have issues with burning oil among many others depending on the generation and this from companies that have been producing cars for the better part of a century. Tesla definitely has issues and is held to a very high standard due to the celebrity status of their CEO and their disruptive nature. But from my very short experience, I've learned that mass producing anything comes at a price. Unless something is manufactured with Aerospace spec, expect issues.

Last edited:
Hello Tesla members,
I'm pretty sure that you all came from different vehicles to Tesla and wanted to ask for your comment/feedback.

I currently have an Audi A7 and thinking about getting a Tesla as I fell in love with Tesla after test-driving 3, Y, S, and X.
A7 is a full size sedan and an equivalent model would be Model S.
However, I personally did not like S because 1) I think 3 looks better, 2) My wife did not want to drive my car (current A7) because it was too big, 3) new fresh new design may come soon in 2022, 4) I like 3's clean no-cluster on dashboard.

On other hand, Model 3 seems a bit too narrow and lacks legroom in the back seat but i think it may be do-able.

I wanted to hear from the current Model 3 owners, who came from full size sedan to Model 3 and if you regret for limited space.

Thanks!

I moved from a Model S to a Model 3. As I recall, I believe the S dimensions are almost the same as the A7.
It was wonderful!
However, I hate large vehicles.
We almost never have anyone other than the two of us in the car.
We do take trips by car, the 3 held plenty for us.

Without the transmission tunnel and less room needed for an engine, exhaust system, etc, there is a lot more room for passengers/cargo. However, there is still less space than an A7 or more so a Model S.
It may help to test drive a 3 again, set the driver’s seat to where it is comfortable for you. Then get in the back seat and see how it feels?

I would also repeat the suggestion made by others to consider the Y if the ride height/cargo space is an issue.

I came from a 2012 Accord (a real Dad car). My 3 is 10" shorter and fits better in the garage. Front seat room is nearly as good, back seat room is OK, but obviously not as good as the longer Accord. Comparing the 3 and Accord are apples/oranges. For an ICE car my Accord was the best I ever drove. I wanted to treat myself with the 3 and am enjoying the driving. With the pandemic I don't commute much at all and only have 2100 miles on the 3. Time will tell.

I've owned my 2018 M3P+ since August of 2018, and it now has over 46,000 miles on it. The car has been flawless and is the most enjoyable car I have owned. I've had a couple of Mercedes and even currently have a 2007 Mustang Shelby GT500 convertible, and the performance of the Model 3 is better. Granted, I don't have misaligned panels, fogging lights, or rattles so I'm clearly pleased with the build quality. It did have one slight panel gap upon initial acceptance, but Tesla took care of that without any hassle. It feels and drives very solid and handles well. I've taken it on long drives (Seattle to the Grand Canyon and back), with no issues. I do carry a spare with me on road trips just in case, but have never needed it. I've never had any passengers indicate that the back seat was uncomfortable or too small. Most riders are just amazed at the car and its technology. It's hard to go back to anything else after owning a Tesla.

Just wondering if you were able to talk to Tesla about some of these issues to get it fixed after delivery? For me, I noticed some misaligned panels and a tiny dent on one of my doors during my delivery appointment. I already set up a mobile service appointment to get it fixed (hopefully they will do it).
Yes. My Appt is Dec 31st, really hoping everything can be addressed. Set up Appt the day I picked up my car. The local tesla center I picked up at gave me the old "within spec" nonsense and told me it was the best they could do.

Thank You for all your inputs.
To conclude all comments, it seems that some of you have come from larger size vehicles but model 3 is doable.
Also, it appears that all benefits Tesla Model 3 offer, do make up some space lacking I guess.
I placed an order just now and filled in credit section. not sure how long credit decision takes especially, today is Sunday but I will be more active on the forum once I acquire the vehicle. :)

To conclude all comments, it seems that some of you have come from larger size vehicles but model 3 is doable.
Also, it appears that all benefits Tesla Model 3 offer, do make up some space lacking I guess.
I placed an order just now and filled in credit section. not sure how long credit decision takes especially, today is Sunday but I will be more active on the forum once I acquire the vehicle. :)
You made the right choice. I have had a BMW 535 X-drive, 2 Audi A4's, Lexus IS350 and a Volvo XC.
The Tesla is the best yet...and you are not polluting the air!

Before my Model 3 I drove a Toyota Avalon, 2001, think even larger in some ways than the newer years’ versions. We laughed saying the trunk could hold 5 bodies! Great for lots of luggage on trips. Bought the full size to travel with older parents when they came out. Our other car eventually was a Model S and we still have it. Love it as well and thought I would also get a MS. Had my Model 3 since 9/2018 and am very happy with it. To me it still feels spacious in the front (only two of us) and more than enough cargo space for groceries. I’ve carried 8ft or even think 10ft pvc pipe and some lumber pieces in it and was surprised by that.

The Model 3 isn’t as fast as our MS in acceleration but just by a small amount. Still keeps me happy when I feel the need to accelerate. I do find it easier to park despite the only slight difference in length between our two cars. I’m very happy with my Model 3 and would order another one if heaven forbid someone crashed into mine.

I think you will love the car. The newer versions have more plusses to it than when I bought mine so all the more to enjoy. Any chance you’ll get before EOY? Let us know when you take delivery and your initial impressions. How will you charge? Time to think about that if you’ll be charging at home.

Reactions: nvx1977
I sincerely hope it is everything you hope it to be. Mine has exceeded my expectations.

The M3 is surprising in size. Lots more storage and places to hide things than my P90DL. Also have a 2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch PowerStroke for towing horse trailers and boats.

My F-250 had gaps in the panel and a few rattling noises-which some would consider unacceptable for an $80K pickup truck. The P90DL keeps burning out the daytime LED DRL. Since the P90DL is out of warranty, it just stays in range mode to turn off the DRL. The problem with the PowerStroke is you are going to pay a premium for diesel fuel and maintenance which is expensive so the F-250 is used for towing and hauling.

The P3D is by far the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. It is not as fast as the P90DL, but can hold its own against most ICE vehicles on the road.

My previous Audi S6 was larger outside but not actually roomier inside than my Model 3P.

S6/A6/A7 are all about the same overall size, while the A7 has the most cargo space due to the hatchback.

I don’t miss the size of the S6, but it did ride better and was quieter on the freeway. The Model 3’s front seat comfort, infotainment and fun to drive factors are far better than even the S6’s, IMHO.

The 3 is doable for family vehicle. We also have S. That thing just eats things up storage wise. If I needed to choose one, the S. If We weren’t going to take $20k depreciation hit on the 3 I would sell it.

@RefreshedP don't mind the haters. Speaking the truth here on a Tesla forum will get you thumbs dumb, obviously. I’ve had issues with my 3 as well. 2 years, out of warranty. Sometimes it feels like the door and glass will blow off. Oh wait that has happened!

everyone’s Tesla experience is different. The S or X is definitely made better than the 3/Y