Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone come from bigger size sedan to Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from 25 years of driving BMWs, my last being a 530i. My biggest complaint is the suspension- it needs to do a better job of absorbing poor roads (We don't all live in California) The fit & finish on mine is pretty good overall - maybe because it wasn't made in the stupid End-of-quarter rush.

I came from 25 years of driving BMWs, my last being a 530i. My biggest complaint is the suspension- it needs to do a better job of absorbing poor roads (We don't all live in California) The fit & finish on mine is pretty good overall - maybe because it wasn't made in the stupid End-of-quarter rush.
what was your main reason to switch? I would get BMW one day, they are quite expensive.

We didn’t have a large sedan. We had a Mini Cooper S & a Volvo XC70 which was my daily driver. We bought a M3 LR AWD 12/19. In May 2020 I had surgery & was not allowed to drive for six weeks. I had to sit in the back seat because the doctors wanted me to avoid airbags. Getting in the back seat was a little awkward but that was mainly because of my thoracic surgery & I adapted quickly. Some trips for medical appointments were over an hour each way. I’m 6’3” & was very comfortable. The A/C in the rear is very good. Same with the sound system. The view in the back seat is spectacular with the all glass roof. The car is so quiet that conversations are pleasant even on freeways.

I came from a Model S. Personally I don't miss the larger size, the only thing I miss is the hatch in the rear for loading bulkier items. The other thing is width, the Model S was wider for rear seat passengers enabling 3 abreast seating for adults. This is considerably more difficult in the Model 3, I don't really take 5 passengers anymore for an extended period of time.

But for 99% of my driving I don't need the extra space. It's easier to park the 3 and because I have a P3D the driving dynamics are more fun (my S was not a performance though). The Model S was more comfortable in terms of ride quality compared to the 3. For 4 adults, I would say the Model S is not that much more space than a Model 3. Model 3 can seat 4 adults with no problem.

If I needed a family car, I probably would have opted for a Model Y or an X for increased cargo and seating space.

Audi A7 : Well built, quiet cabin, spacious back seat, luxurious interior, smooth ride.
Tesla Model 3 : Loud cabin at highway speed, very low back seat so knees are in the air, minimalist interior, bumpy suspension.

My 2018 Model 3 was delivered perfectly with great build quality, and my service experiences for maintenance have been great (my driveway). It's the best car I've owned because of the massive acceleration, battery and drivetrain tech, software, nav screen, super comfy front seats, 4yr warranty. However, the bumpy suspension and loud cabin at highway speed are bad, I can't quite recommend this car to people for those reasons and I'm embarrassed when driving older family members around. I have the stock 18-inch wheels.

You should rent the car overnight before buying it, lmaybe from Turo. There is no return policy at all once you take delivery.
You will likely be much happier in the Model S with the quieter cabin and air suspension and longer range. But the back seat legroom is average and the view out the front windshield is kinda small. I don't think any Tesla has back seats as comfortable as a Toyota Camry, including the X.

Audi A7 : Well built, quiet cabin, spacious back seat, luxurious interior, smooth ride.
Tesla Model 3 : Loud cabin at highway speed, very low back seat so knees are in the air, minimalist interior, bumpy suspension.

My 2018 Model 3 was delivered perfectly with great build quality, and my service experiences for maintenance have been great (my driveway). It's the best car I've owned because of the massive acceleration, battery and drivetrain tech, software, nav screen, super comfy front seats, 4yr warranty. However, the bumpy suspension and loud cabin at highway speed are bad, I can't quite recommend this car to people for those reasons and I'm embarrassed when driving older family members around. I have the stock 18-inch wheels.

You should rent the car overnight before buying it, lmaybe from Turo. There is no return policy at all once you take delivery.
You will likely be much happier in the Model S with the quieter cabin and air suspension and longer range. But the back seat legroom is average and the view out the front windshield is kinda small. I don't think any Tesla has back seats as comfortable as a Toyota Camry, including the X.
I find your assessment very interesting and seems to suggest (along with other posts) that the wind/road noise isolation has been improved in later production, the ride may have been improved (can anyone verify change in shocks? Even my P rides just as well as my current ICE cars: VW GTI in comfort mode and BMW 1M), and I think they raised the level of the rear seat cushion to improve the rear seat support.

I find your assessment very interesting and seems to suggest (along with other posts) that the wind/road noise isolation has been improved in later production, the ride may have been improved (can anyone verify change in shocks? Even my P rides just as well as my current ICE cars: VW GTI in comfort mode and BMW 1M), and I think they raised the level of the rear seat cushion to improve the rear seat support.

There was a very early-production change in the suspension that smoothed the ride somewhat, but I can't imagine anyone thinking that a Model 3P rides anything like an Audi A7. The M3P's rides quite a bit firmer than even my S6 did, and the S6 is firmer than either the A7 or A6.

Noise isolation isn't as good either.

Bottom line IMHO is it's more fun, but less comfortable.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Hello Tesla members,
I'm pretty sure that you all came from different vehicles to Tesla and wanted to ask for your comment/feedback.

I currently have an Audi A7 and thinking about getting a Tesla as I fell in love with Tesla after test-driving 3, Y, S, and X.
A7 is a full size sedan and an equivalent model would be Model S.
However, I personally did not like S because 1) I think 3 looks better, 2) My wife did not want to drive my car (current A7) because it was too big, 3) new fresh new design may come soon in 2022, 4) I like 3's clean no-cluster on dashboard.

On other hand, Model 3 seems a bit too narrow and lacks legroom in the back seat but i think it may be do-able.

I wanted to hear from the current Model 3 owners, who came from full size sedan to Model 3 and if you regret for limited space.

Thanks!

I came from a 2018 Mercedes S class, one of the largest sedans available. Honestly, the transition has been great. I am 34 years old and no children yet.... I never needed the large body excessive space in the S class but I do love the looks of it and the smoothness of the ride. I was absolutely okay with sacrificing a bit of comfort for all of the technology benefits that Tesla offers. I am a big tech person. I took delivery of my M3 a few days ago and I must say I was very impressed with the interior quality! Maybe my standards and expectations were set so low knowing I was coming from a S class?

Luxury interior was a bit of a downgrade but not too much when comparing to S class which sounds INSANE. Honestly, it’s really just the ambient lighting that Mercedes has that makes it so nice. I was more than willing to let that go.

The seats on the Model 3 very much impressed me as they are very comfortable and I was not expecting that.

as long as my golf clubs fit in the trunk of my M3, which they do, I was happy! Being that I drive by myself or with my wife in the passenger seat and rarely have passengers in the back it was a easy transition and decision for me to make. Oh and not to mention the M3 is over 50% cheaper!

feel free to ask any question, happy to help. IMO go and drive the M3 if you have not yet. That should answer most of your questions. Best of luck!

Reactions: RefreshedP
I came from a 2018 Mercedes S class, one of the largest sedans available. Honestly, the transition has been great. I am 34 years old and no children yet.... I never needed the large body excessive space in the S class but I do love the looks of it and the smoothness of the ride. I was absolutely okay with sacrificing a bit of comfort for all of the technology benefits that Tesla offers. I am a big tech person. I took delivery of my M3 a few days ago and I must say I was very impressed with the interior quality! Maybe my standards and expectations were set so low knowing I was coming from a S class?

Luxury interior was a bit of a downgrade but not too much when comparing to S class which sounds INSANE. Honestly, it’s really just the ambient lighting that Mercedes has that makes it so nice. I was more than willing to let that go.

The seats on the Model 3 very much impressed me as they are very comfortable and I was not expecting that.

as long as my golf clubs fit in the trunk of my M3, which they do, I was happy! Being that I drive by myself or with my wife in the passenger seat and rarely have passengers in the back it was a easy transition and decision for me to make. Oh and not to mention the M3 is over 50% cheaper!

feel free to ask any question, happy to help. IMO go and drive the M3 if you have not yet. That should answer most of your questions. Best of luck!
I have a 2020 s63amgS(with a tune). its funny, it used to be the go to anytime we went anywhere with friends or family. we went out for dinner just prior to our latest lock down. Of course our friends wanted to go in the tesla this time. After dinner and arriving home, my colleague looks at me and says. "well, that was cute... but lets take benz next time" lol

• Funny
Reactions: DaveG_NJ
I have a 2020 s63amgS(with a tune). its funny, it used to be the go to anytime we went anywhere with friends or family. we went out for dinner just prior to our latest lock down. Of course our friends wanted to go in the tesla this time. After dinner and arriving home, my colleague looks at me and says. "well, that was cute... but lets take benz next time" lol

Curious: Having such an amazing Merc, could you explain your reasoning for choosing the Model 3 vs the Model S? I would think the Model S would have been closer to what you are accustomed to driving, and the price of the Merc demonstrates cost isn’t a prohibiting factor.

Reactions: OttoR
Hello Tesla members,
I'm pretty sure that you all came from different vehicles to Tesla and wanted to ask for your comment/feedback.

I currently have an Audi A7 and thinking about getting a Tesla as I fell in love with Tesla after test-driving 3, Y, S, and X.
However, I personally did not like S because 1) I think 3 looks better, 2) My wife did not want to drive my car (current A7) because it was too big, 3) new fresh new design may come soon in 2022, 4) I like 3's clean no-cluster on dashboard.

On other hand, Model 3 seems a bit too narrow and lacks legroom in the back seat but i think it may be do-able.

I wanted to hear from the current Model 3 owners, who came from full size sedan to Model 3 and if you regret for limited space.

Thanks!
Went from minivan to MY with three tall kids and dog - surprisingly spacious esp rear legroom

Went from MS to 21 M3 and would not put the three kids back there for long, the rear bottom cushion is still too low and legroom is cramped, but we have the Y. The driving dynamic of the 3 beats the S but the 3 is certainly louder and the S more luxurious. In the end I am glad I traded S for 3.

Curious: Having such an amazing Merc, could you explain your reasoning for choosing the Model 3 vs the Model S? I would think the Model S would have been closer to what you are accustomed to driving, and the price of the Merc demonstrates cost isn’t a prohibiting factor.
We ve had an S. An early adopter to Ev. I loved driving it, but we had many many issues unfortunetly and left a sour taste in my mouth. It didn't last long. Besides. Covid has shut our small business down 100%(work with the school boards) for the time bein. So I need to be mindful of the lack of revenue. Lol

That’s a great question. There were a few factors that I took into consideration.

1. we just ordered a brand new G wagon from Mercedes so my wife and I (no kids yet) will have a fairly large SUV which we can take should we need the space or size etc.

2. The refreshed model 3 with all the updates was really the deciding factor. The model S is out dated from a physical perspective as well as mechanical. I know there is a refresh coming soon but my lease ended December 31st and I was running out of patience not knowing when it would come out and also not knowing what type of updates will be done. I’m worried the exterior will get minimal updates like headlights and tail lights which will not do it for me.

when taking into consideration those factors it was a pretty easy decision.

I came from a model S and although I don't really miss how big it was I do miss the car in general. The S is really too big for Europe and feels like a boat but it just is much nicer to sit in, hopefully they make a nice updated interior for it so I can trade in the 3.

How much room to you really need in the back seat? It's not at all cramped. I've had no trouble putting 2 adults back there. One launch from a dead stop and I can assure you, they aren't thinking about anything but gravity returning their internal organs to their normal position. I'm thinking about having them sign a waiver (no passengers with a heart condition or pregnant).

I've owned (purchased new) 3 Audis, 3 BMW, 2 Jags, 2 MBs, 2 Saabs, 2 Jeeps. The Model 3 was the first car in decades that put a smile back on my face when I drove it. Yes, build quality was spotty and service is horrible, but I absolutely love the car. Long term? We'll see. I would never own another European car out of warranty again, so nothing is perfect. I complain about Tesla quality and service, only because I love the car and it's a problem that is completely solvable, if only Elon wanted.

Traded a 2008 BMW X5 in for the Tesla Model 3 long range awd sleeper in Dec 2019. Was a little worried about storage space as we travel a lot and tend to pack like the Clampetts (stuffed full). Still seem to be able to jam an amazing amount of unnecessary stuff in for long trips. Only took 3 1400 mile trips so far due to covid concerns...haven’t missed the BMW one bit (it was on its 4th water pump and the engine check light was a frequent annoyance.) hated the bmw, love the Tesla.

Switched from a Škoda Superb III to a M3 LR. Size wise, the only concern we have is the three times vacation trip where we packed the Superb (all 625l of the trunk + back seat foot well).

Our kids are 7 and 3 so they don't have the size they can't leave their legs anywhere and still using childseats anyways; so seat position in M3 is not an issue for them. Fitting a 3rd child is worse, but doable for short distances.

For those long distance vacation trips we use the hitch. On top of a Thule Velospace XT we fitted the Thule Backspace; which gives us a 300 liter additional for lightweight bulky stuff. The main thing I am missing is the trunk opening that's relatively small.

Spending the Christmas days with my in-laws including presents - to our surprise - fitted all in the Trunk and even left the frunk available. Up front I thought I would have to drive twice.
We no longer can use our suitcases, but splitting in several weekend bags it all fitted well.

Would have opted for MY however needed to lease the M3 before 2020 year end as both the lease of the Superb as well as a tax incentive for electric vehicles ended. And since Tesla decided to link MY release in Europa to the Berlin factory; that was not an option any longer.

Main driver was to switch to an electric drive and we were fine with sacrificing a bit in comfort. The Superb is indeed a superb travel car, easily to do a 12 hour / 910 km drive in winter and still feel rested. With the M3 this will come with a bit more planning and suspension is a quite more stuff, as it is a more sporty drive.

My mind was set for M3 LR and have been waiting for the one with newer VIN to be assigned to my order.
Now, my buddy who happens to be a car freak bought a model Y recently and he's been telling me all good things about Y that is confusing me between Y and 3.
I personally think that Model 3 looks much better than Y (design-wise) but more and more I look at both, Y looks just like 3 that is just popped-up version of M3. lol

Hello Tesla members,

Thanks!

Hello Tesla members,

Thanks!
I came from an Astro Van (my second one). My family grew up, I no longer needed a van. Yes, it was roomy, and with a 20 gallon gas tank, it had RANGE. Now there are generally two of us riding in our M3, lack of space in the back is not a problem, and with those seats down, the trunk is usually ample. My M3 is only two years old, I've had no problem with the fit, finish, noise, etc that other have complained about. I do consider it the best car I've owned in the 60 years I've owned cars (except my '40 Chevy business couple and my '68 Javelin). I wish it had a rear window wiper and heated steering wheel, and I don't understand why my side view cameras only seem to work 70% of the time.