TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Did anyone order their P85D with the premium interior package?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by island, Jan 11, 2015.

1. island

island Fairfield County / NYC

Can't seem to find any photos of a P85D with the ambient lighting on. I can understand that not many want to spend 4K for better leather and some LED lights thus the lack of posts.

Anyone with pics? Considering this is the one option I am not getting I'd like to see how the lights look. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the two video screen shots I saw on Youtube but they are still shots from a slideshow so this was the best I can get. Still looking for some nice shots.

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 8.44.08 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 8.43.56 PM.jpg

2. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I got the premium interior package on my lowly S85 that I picked up last month. I don't have any pictures but the pkg is well worth it for a car in this price range in my opinion. You didn't mention the most striking upgrade, the suede on the dash, it's usually the first thing people compliment.

3. Dennis87

Dennis87 Member

Alcantara dash is on every car if you have the Alcantara headliner, dont need the premium interior package to get that.

4. spentan

spentan Active Member

I have the premium interior,

definitely an overpriced package (especially considering the price of SubZero), but tbh, i wanted the nappa leather on the armrests and on the door panels. The plastic is just terrible.

5. Glitch

Glitch Member

It is far overpriced for just some leather and LEDs. I do have the package ordered on my 85D because I wanted the LEDs, In my opinion a car of over 100K should have those LEDs as standard.

6. island

island Fairfield County / NYC

At least they knocked $1K off the package with the latest MS update. I'll pick it up now because I really wanted the lighting. Now it's just a matter of grey or black interior...

7. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I doubt anyone can even tell the difference.

8. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

The problem is the difference in leather is almost certainly much more in feeling than look.

If you are coming from a Porsche Panamera or Mercedes S class, losing the full leather is probably very noticeable. If you are coming from a Toyota Prius, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I have the premium package in my P85D -- any specific photos you would like?

I'll try and get a good sampling when I have some free time and when it stops raining.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

That explains it... my last car was a Prius. :)

10. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

It seems that Tesla has four very different customer segments:

1) Green types who came from Prius or some older fuel efficient ICE (read: not a luxury car). This group likely focuses heavily on the WH/Mile number, and doesn't really use the high speed, or quick acceleration features very often (or at all). This group will likely not experience any benefit for P85D > P85 and perhaps P85 > S85. This group will likely not experience any benefit from Premium interior.This group probably will care about WH/Mile heavily.

2) Engineer types who came from (whatever -- wide variety), This group will have varying opinions of quickness, speed, and fit/finish depending on their previous experience. This group may or may not care about WH/Mile other than for roadtrips where superchargers are not closely spaced/convenient.

3) Luxury / Sportscar customers who primarily came from Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi. These customers will notice P85D > P85. Most of these customers will notice full leather. This group probably won't care about WH/Mile other than on roadtrips where superchargers are not closely spaced/convenient.

4) Technology enthusiasts - I can't really explain this viewpoint as I fit into this myself, but I also fit into 2 and 3, which I think drives my viewpoint much more, and makes it difficult to distill this group.

For threads such as this, explaining your background along with your opinion will probably display a lot of this.

I will agree though, that $4000 is a huge price for a little bit of leather and some LED lights, but I suspect that they probably also select the "better" leather for premium interior customers which also probably goes somewhat into this price. I would call this type of pricing "Porsche pricing" (as they are well known for having large numbers of very expensive options that seem like they should be standard).

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

#2 and #4 are really the same, which is why #4 it's hard to define. Generally, those who purchase belong to at least two of the three groups.

12. napabill

napabill Active Member

I have a very early MS85, and there was never any mention of a "power liftgate." But my lift gate is powered. So if you don't get the "Premium Interior Package" the rear door must be opened and closed manually?

13. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

As of this morning, yes. Previously the power lift gate was in the tech package, which most people got.

14. napabill

napabill Active Member

Anyone out there have a MS without the powerliftgate? I have a friend who is trying to shave costs. And the so-called "Premium" package is looking hard to justify at $5,000.

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Member

I'm also contemplating the premium package. LED heads and foggers would be great as would the lighted handles and sills. The powered lift gate and nappa leather - don't really care about. So 5K is hard to swallow for the lights alone..

16. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I don't see LED headlights in that package, just fog and corners.

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have stated this in a few other threads today, but to repeat:: there are NO LED HEADLIGHTS on the Model S order page.
    I keep trying to correct this misinformation and it keeps popping up. I don't know why.

18. acevolt

acevolt Member

What about the center floor. In the interior photo for the "Premium Interior and Lighting" package it looks like it has a yacht type floor. It looks like its wood, but without the stripes. Can anyone confirm that you also get that? Also, are the interior LED's just white or can you change the color?

19. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member

I've sadly complained about this on a few different threads since I got mine. White only.

From TMC, I was expecting something like Virgin America airlines, where I could set the color from the dash to match the mood of the trip. :frown:

20. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Every car gets the yacht floor now, it is standard.