Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone receive another software update today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the notification and upgraded this morning. I noticed that the AP lane changes are WAY better. Smoother, more natural, and well paced . Love it. The nag to touch the wheel is on steroids and seriously needs to be reconsidered. I think the nag is actually an unsafe distraction now. Really sad about this change. Lastly boy can it see other lanes cars now! Maybe this is why lane changes are better?
Can anyone beat TEN cars in front?
View attachment 309103
View attachment 309103

View attachment 309104

I just got 21.9 last night. My biggest gripes are the decreased time between hold the wheel prompts and lane changes that won't work. Twice yesterday I initiated a lane change but it wouldnt go and there were no cars anywhere near me.

What bugs me here is that it doesn't notice my hands when I'm lightly holding the wheel. That's how I expect to use EAP, I shouldn't have to apply purposeful torque every 20 seconds, I might as well drive myself. I got SEVEN nags in less than 3 minutes. Either they fix this ridiculousness, or else I bought a $5K nothing-burger. The current hyper-nag system is unacceptable to me and one that I'll just stop using and rely on TACC if something isn't fixed. Sad.

What bugs me here is that it doesn't notice my hands when I'm lightly holding the wheel. That's how I expect to use EAP, I shouldn't have to apply purposeful torque every 20 seconds, I might as well drive myself. I got SEVEN nags in less than 3 minutes. Either they fix this ridiculousness, or else I bought a $5K nothing-burger. The current hyper-nag system is unacceptable to me and one that I'll just stop using and rely on TACC if something isn't fixed. Sad.
I don't have the new update yet, so I don't know if this works or not. Have you tried resting your hand at the 9 or 10 o'clock position and letting the weight of your hand and forearm apply a constant torque to the wheel?

I would be interested in someone making a video that shows what the car recognizes and what it doesn't in terms of hands on the wheel.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I don't have the new update yet, so I don't know if this works or not. Have you tried resting your hand at the 9 or 10 o'clock position and letting the weight of your hand and forearm apply a constant torque to the wheel?
When I'm shadowing EAP, I put both hands on the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. It's symmetric and harder for the torquers to notice. I really liked the nag timings the way they were, I didn't mind/notice them. That is certainly not the case today.

Every time it nagged, I hit "lap". Just consider this:
Screenshot_20180612-174619.jpg

No less than seven nags in UNDER 3 minutes. Blasphemy!

Reactions: ICUDoc
Every time it nagged, I hit "lap". Just consider this:
View attachment 309454

No less than seven nags in UNDER 3 minutes. Blasphemy!

I saw a video and also read it on another thread that said resetting the computer could possibly help. Worth a shot maybe. Can you try it and post back with your results?

I got the notification about the update last night but have so far held off because I use autopilot a lot on my drives to and from work which are over an hour each way and I'm happy with the frequency of the nags currently. Don't wanna make it worse. If there were other significant improvements like say it was much better about phantom braking or cars cutting in or something then I'd probably do it and just adjust my driving style some. But just to see more cars on the display and have it slow down at off ramps I can live without that for now.

this is on you. the point is that you're supposed to take over. if you're holding wheel lightly enough, you won't have the strength to take over. i'm probably wrong but that's their thinking for nagging you some more. man up and put some elbow into it :)

• Disagree
Reactions: insaneoctane
this is on you. the point is that you're supposed to take over. if you're holding wheel lightly enough, you won't have the strength to take over. i'm probably wrong but that's their thinking for nagging you some more. man up and put some elbow into it :)
Fully disagree If I'm required to "man up", why am I pretending it's helping? With the previous system, I was able to suppress the nag almost instantly, because my hands and attention were there. Rarely did it even get to the blue flashing speedo. At the old frequency all was good...But dealing with that every 20 seconds? No thank you.

I had to abort an AP lane change because some irresponsible twat decided to pass on my right at super-legal speeds after I had already initiated the lane change. In order to avoid him slamming on his brakes and spinning out in the crapbox he was driving, I overpowered the steering wheel and abruptly swerved back into my original lane. The amount of force required and the amount of overcompensation swerve was alarming. I won't be doing that again. In the future I will tap the brakes or push up on the right stalk and more calmly take over steering.

I had to abort an AP lane change because some irresponsible twat decided to pass on my right at super-legal speeds after I had already initiated the lane change. In order to avoid him slamming on his brakes and spinning out in the crapbox he was driving, I overpowered the steering wheel and abruptly swerved back into my original lane. The amount of force required and the amount of overcompensation swerve was alarming. I won't be doing that again. In the future I will tap the brakes or push up on the right stalk and more calmly take over steering.
I've fought EAP routinely for steering control and feel confident doing it. It seems that on the freeway that lane changes would require the highest torque and thus the most challenging to abort. I do think that the more you do it the more you know what to expect and the easier it will be ...

Or you could have cancelled lane change by cancelling blinker signal.

Just a suggestion, maybe relax your steering sensitivity so it doesn't over-correct. Sport is like a go-cart so you must be quicker than the car. Any rapid change could trigger a slight fishtail event and correction needs to be immediate. That's how most people lose control and roll their vehicles, especially when wheels hit gravel then pavement again.

I love the fast control but I also grew up driving in snow >40 yrs ago. A controlled slide is fun for me and I don't have to think about it. It's also why I like RWD only.