Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone receive their tow Package for the model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received my model X in Vancouver just before Christmas of 2017. Although I did order it with a tow package it was delivered without it, and they made it seem like an error and that the tow package was to be delivered to the service center for an installation later on (soon). Well it has been over 3 months and they cannot even give me an ETA on when the tow package will arrive. One of the main reasons for even purchasing this vehicle was because of the towing capability. They just tell me that it is on back order and no one has yet to receive it. I have seen that some of there new inventories do have the tow package installed.

Has anyone received their tow package after the delivery of the vehicle?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you with no tow package yet, delivery was in Dec 2017.

My wife's Model X came with the tow package, and I feel compelled to warn you that my experience towing has not been positive. What do you plan to tow, and how far?

I'm in the same boat as you with no tow package yet, delivery was in Dec 2017.

My wife's Model X came with the tow package, and I feel compelled to warn you that my experience towing has not been positive. What do you plan to tow, and how far?

Thanks for the response, I'm planning on towing a 1900lb fiberglass trailer to close by camping grounds from my place. If there is no outlet at the camping ground, I was planning on around within 80kms. It charging is possible at the site, maybe around 150kms? Does it sound feasible?

Half a year does not seem uncommon for Tesla supply chain when stressed. I also have been waiting since the beginning of December for 22" black wheels and am being told another 30-45 days is the estimate to receive them, so will be 5+ months for them as well.

Are you sure you mean "installation of the tow package", or just the hitch in the receptacle? The tow package has a piece connected to the frame of the car and covered by a plastic access panel and then the hitch receiver is separate in a black Tesla bag. The cases many of us are referring to is that our X's came without anything, meaning the piece attached to the frame was missing, not just the hitch receiver.

Are you sure you mean "installation of the tow package", or just the hitch in the receptacle? The tow package has a piece connected to the frame of the car and covered by a plastic access panel and then the hitch receiver is separate in a black Tesla bag. The cases many of us are referring to is that our X's came without anything, meaning the piece attached to the frame was missing, not just the hitch receiver.

Not sure if your post is directed at me or not. I got a bag with some tow stuff that they offered to install. Not sure if there is anything installed under the bumper, never looked and never opened the bag I got

Not sure if your post is directed at me or not. I got a bag with some tow stuff that they offered to install. Not sure if there is anything installed under the bumper, never looked and never opened the bag I got

Yes was commenting on your post. I suspect if you look under the bumper and remove the hitch cover you will have the hitch assembly installed already. You can see what I mean in this video -

The piece installed under the hitch cover that the hitch receiver is inserted in to, we did not have installed on our Model X's when they were delivered and this needed to be installed at a later time, in addition to providing the hitcher receiver and wiring harness as well as keys that are in the square Tesla bag.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Thanks for the response, I'm planning on towing a 1900lb fiberglass trailer to close by camping grounds from my place. If there is no outlet at the camping ground, I was planning on around within 80kms. It charging is possible at the site, maybe around 150kms? Does it sound feasible?

In good weather that all seems totally well within reach for a 100D. Probably OK with a 75D too, but I'm not as sure.

Yes was commenting on your post. I suspect if you look under the bumper and remove the hitch cover you will have the hitch assembly installed already. You can see what I mean in this video -

The piece installed under the hitch cover that the hitch receiver is inserted in to, we did not have installed on our Model X's when they were delivered and this needed to be installed at a later time, in addition to providing the hitcher receiver and wiring harness as well as keys that are in the square Tesla bag.

I did check. There is a hitch cover under the bumper, but it is empty inside. Mine does not have a thing were hitch receiver is inserted in to. I guess what the tow package means by the SC is both the receiver and the hitch.

Sort of regretting not getting a 100D

I'm basing my opinion on towing a u-haul enclosed trailer with two pinball machines. The trailer itself would have been about 900 lbs and each machine 250-300, for a total of say 1,500 lbs. This combination used about 425 wh/km at highway speeds (60mph).

Scaling for your case, you might want to allow for about 540 wh/km, leading to a range of about 140km. I realize this falls a little short of your hoped for 160km of range. But I'm not 100% sure of your use case ... I think I'd leave the trailer at the site and then that changes everything.

For example if you're talking about going to Pinecone Burke, it's so close to town that you could drop off your trailer, and go back and forth to town many times even without charging. If it's Cypress Mountain, they have a Tesla charger so you won't have any issue at all. If it's Golden Ears I'm not even sure you can get there and back.

I'm basing my opinion on towing a u-haul enclosed trailer with two pinball machines. The trailer itself would have been about 900 lbs and each machine 250-300, for a total of say 1,500 lbs. This combination used about 425 wh/km at highway speeds (60mph).

Scaling for your case, you might want to allow for about 540 wh/km, leading to a range of about 140km. I realize this falls a little short of your hoped for 160km of range. But I'm not 100% sure of your use case ... I think I'd leave the trailer at the site and then that changes everything.

For example if you're talking about going to Pinecone Burke, it's so close to town that you could drop off your trailer, and go back and forth to town many times even without charging. If it's Cypress Mountain, they have a Tesla charger so you won't have any issue at all. If it's Golden Ears I'm not even sure you can get there and back.

Oh my, my main destination was Golden Ears. I hope to keep the usage to below 450 wh/km, drive a bit slower. Will post the result once I get the package installed and tested.