Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did anyone trade-in their lemon/repurchase/buyback for another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model 3 is currently at the service center and for 3 days I have been waiting for a service manager to call back. I've even had to call a lemon law attorney, though I haven't initiated any lemon law policies, just wanted to know my options. At this point, we would like Tesla to buy our vehicle back so we can purchase another one that either won't have the issues we are experiencing.

Any advice?
Unless you opt out, you have to go through arbitration. There are two places you have to send your buyback request to to get the task rolling

upload_2019-4-2_17-32-4.png

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I went through this process. You need to keep escalating and complaining to the manager of a service location who will initiate the process. FYI Tesla WILL NOT apply full cost of your vehicle to new vehicle purchase. They will give you an offer depending on car mileage, tax credit you claimed, etc. It sounded to me like it was not negotiable, but I really felt mine was fair (I got 96% of the cost back plus free extended warranty for my replacement).
I’ve escalated my MX90D with the local service manager- they have tried to fix the falcon door sensors 3 times to no success. While I purchased it from Tesla used- I’ve since upgraded the Hepa /bio hazard filter, intrusion sensor and tow package since purchase through Tesla. Also have ceramic coating, and chrome delete... do you think they’ll add those to the fair repurchase price? Apparently the service manager is going to send the information to a “review board” to see if will qualify for a buy back. I’d hate to lose out on the upgrades because they’ll be able to resell it with those upgrades.

I’ve escalated my MX90D with the local service manager- they have tried to fix the falcon door sensors 3 times to no success. While I purchased it from Tesla used- I’ve since upgraded the Hepa /bio hazard filter, intrusion sensor and tow package since purchase through Tesla. Also have ceramic coating, and chrome delete... do you think they’ll add those to the fair repurchase price? Apparently the service manager is going to send the information to a “review board” to see if will qualify for a buy back. I’d hate to lose out on the upgrades because they’ll be able to resell it with those upgrades.

Every new X comes with the Biohazard filter and tow bar now... I'm not sure I have seen anyone say they were reimbursed for the cost of appearance modifications.

I, also, don't recall any buybacks on a used car. I don't think any lemon laws apply so they aren't required to under any circumstances. (I'm not saying that they won't just that they don't have to.)

Wraps, coatings and chrome delete will likely get you nothing additional. Those are very buyer specific and they will likely have to remove them.

Every new X comes with the Biohazard filter and tow bar now... I'm not sure I have seen anyone say they were reimbursed for the cost of appearance modifications.

I, also, don't recall any buybacks on a used car. I don't think any lemon laws apply so they aren't required to under any circumstances. (I'm not saying that they won't just that they don't have to.)
In California the lemon buyback applies to any vehicle still under new vehicle warranty (4 years or 50k miles) for Tesla. I purchased the bio hazard, alarm and tow package from their web store and had them installed by service center as they were not part of the vehicle that was purchased

In California the lemon buyback applies to any vehicle still under new vehicle warranty (4 years or 50k miles) for Tesla. I purchased the bio hazard, alarm and tow package from their web store and had them installed by service center as they were not part of the vehicle that was purchased

Actually isn't the California lemon law limited to 18 months or 18,000 miles on the odometer whichever comes first?

Nope unless you don’t believe the attorney general

Buying and Maintaining a Car

Service manager agreed after I sent this to them

Even that says:
The Lemon Law applies to most vehicles purchased or leased in California that are still under a manufacturer’s new car warranty.

So it doesn't apply to all vehicles still under a manufacturer’s new car warranty. Maybe it was written when car warranties were generally shorter?

But the document that it links to says:

Lemon Law Presumption*

Within the Song-Beverly Act, there is a presumption guideline wherein it is presumed that a vehicle is a "lemon" if the following criteria are met within 18 months of delivery to the buyer or lessee or 18,000 miles on the vehicle’s odometer, whichever comes first:

And if you go to read the law:

Civil Code - CIV
DIVISION 3. OBLIGATIONS [1427 - 3273]

( Heading of Division 3 amended by Stats. 1988, Ch. 160, Sec. 14. )
PART 4. OBLIGATIONS ARISING FROM PARTICULAR TRANSACTIONS [1738 - 3273]
( Part 4 enacted 1872. )
TITLE 1.7. CONSUMER WARRANTIES [1790 - 1797.96]
( Title 1.7 added by Stats. 1970, Ch. 1333. )
CHAPTER 1. Consumer Warranty Protection [1790 - 1795.8]
( Chapter 1 added by Stats. 1970, Ch. 1333. )

ARTICLE 3. Sale Warranties [1792 - 1795.8]
( Article 3 added by Stats. 1970, Ch. 1333. )

(a) This section shall be known and may be cited as the Tanner Consumer Protection Act.

(b) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made to conform a new motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the odometer of the vehicle, whichever occurs first, one or more of the following occurs:

I suspect the people that the service manager escalated the issue likely know the actual law.

no dispute on the way the law is written...

But the AG of California clearly states :

• The Lemon Law also applies to used vehicles when they are still under a manufacturer’s new car warranty. Any remaining time left on the warranty protects the car’s new owner.
I’ve owned the car 4 months it’s been in service collectively over 30 days over several visits so about 25% of my ownership of the vehicle has been in Tesla’s possession.

I
Even that says:

So it doesn't apply to all vehicles still under a manufacturer’s new car warranty. Maybe it was written when car warranties were generally shorter?

But the document that it links to says:

And if you go to read the law:

I suspect the people that the service manager escalated the issue likely know the actual law.
also to note the document you provided a link to

Legal Definition of a New Vehicle**
The Lemon Law covers new motor vehicles, including:
• A new vehicle bought or used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
• A new vehicle with a gross vehicle weight under 10,000 pounds bought or used primarily for business purposes (provided the owner or business has no more than five vehicles registered in California).
• The chassis, chassis cab, and propulsion portions of a motorhome.
• A dealer-owned vehicle, a “demonstrator,” or other motor vehicle sold with a manufacturer’s new car warranty (such as a used vehicle).
• Purchased and leased vehicles.
• “New Motor Vehicle” does not include:
- Any portion of a motor home designed, used, or maintained primarily for human habitation; or
- A motorcycle or a motor vehicle which is not registered under the Vehicle Code because it is to be operated or used exclusively as an off-road vehicle.
** Source:California Civil Code Section 1793.22(e).

So both the ag, the document you referenced, and the law include used vehicles as “new”

I’m not a lawyer so I can’t say for certain what counts and what doesn’t, all I can see is what is written under the ag/documents published by California/ and the written law.

Just to close the loop on this - a buy back was offered for the full purchase price... I haven’t made a final decision yet because they are still replacing items on the vehicle they damaged while in their possession

Do it. In two weeks, when the discounts are nearing their peak.

Agreed, I bet you could buy a used 100D for what the 90D cost you. You’ll eat the cost of the aftermarket items. But you should be able to get Tesla to remove the tow pack and alarm. Not sure about the hepa filter because you would need the original parts reinstalled.