Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did AP follow distance change with update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that's all very interesting, because I thought I read somewhere that the nominal settings were in half-second increments, so that "1" is half a second, and "7" would be 3 and a half seconds. If that's the case, then there shouldn't be any change from prior versions, unless they changed the increment to like 0.4 secs per nominal unit.

Well, that's all very interesting, because I thought I read somewhere that the nominal settings were in half-second increments, so that "1" is half a second, and "7" would be 3 and a half seconds. If that's the case, then there shouldn't be any change from prior versions, unless they changed the increment to like 0.4 secs per nominal unit.

What the manual actually says

Model 3 owners manual said:
choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.

So it does represent time, but does not state what amount of time.

I don't see why they can't add a wider range and give people more options? Make 1 more aggressive and and add 10 for some of you granny drivers out there :D

But seriously, I recall Elon talking about potentially adding a "LA Traffic Mode". I think he understands that Autopilot is too conservative in certain situations.
Maybe they can make it go to 11. Just add one more.
See what I did there.

I think Tesla should allow for a closer follow distance for stop and go traffic at least. Maybe when traveling 25mph or less? Again, it's not about getting somewhere faster or whatever. It has to do more with driving etiquette.
yes, I thought about that and would also like to see that. Maybe it is just me, but when I set the distance to be far behind the car in front at freeway speeds, it seems to also keep a long distance at slow stop and go speeds which is not preferable for me and other drivers behind me.

Reactions: hydro 481
yes, I thought about that and would also like to see that. Maybe it is just me, but when I set the distance to be far behind the car in front at freeway speeds, it seems to also keep a long distance at slow stop and go speeds which is not preferable for me and other drivers behind me.
Yea it would be great if AP could adjust the distance base on the speed of your car.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
It does; the setting is an indeterminate amount of time-separation from the object before you. At higher speeds, the distance thereby increases.
You are correct. Sorry, maybe I should word it differently. I just wish AP would let you adjust the number setting based on the speed of your car. For example if you were going 65 it would set it to 3, if you were going 35 it would adjust it to 2, anything below 15 would be a 1. But I'm not sure how that would work or if it even makes sense to anyone besides me? :D

I thought I noticed changes to this with just about every update since I got the car over a year ago, but now I think there are many other variables at play so it’s hard to tell.

For example, the lighting (time of day) seems to make a big difference. Following white cars it seems more conservative than black ones, and when I’m behind a bus in heavy traffic it keeps really close. Most recently I feel like it follows more aggressively in the dark. Maybe the camera is more confident following taillights?

There’s definitely inconsistency, and it likely has something to do with software, but there may be other factors as well.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
I ordered a Model X mainly for rush hour stop and go traffic. Reading this thread makes me think it will be no better than driving my wife's much less expensive Prius Prime on adaptive cruise control.

I hate when it leaves a gap in front that encourages cut ins and pisses off the driver behind me with slamming the brakes when there is a full car length in front.

I can hope for an update for "LA driving" I just hope this won't be an expensive rush hour drive with AP off just to not be an asshole.