Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did August & September sales EVER happen before and will they ever happen again?! 30K+ Discounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly not trying to argue, but, last week, my sales advisor informed me (in writing) that the price reduction (from 75 to 60) was $9k. I'd hope that type of discount would not be arbitrary / on a case-case basis.

Perhaps she was incorrect, but what she wrote is crystal clear.

Regards

The questions remains if there will be discounts again, will it be restricted to P90D again, or almost ?!

I don't see it happening again this quarter!
Because it took place in August for deliveries in September so the frenzy should have started last month and it just didn't !!

I would jump on another Tesla if it happens again

One thing that's different is guys like you :p already snapped up the best cars with the biggest discounts, and of course the incredible lease values. I think Tesla was successful in reducing the inventory of P90Ds so there just aren't many available and we won't see discounts approaching $40,000 with the possible exception of a few P100Ds with AP1.

Except for a few outliers like mine and some well-equipped 60s that had $13,000 discounts, the typical Q3 discount was $7500 and most likely the customers that were interested in S75s at that price already pulled the trigger.

There are 60 cars listed with >$7,000 discount today with more likely hidden a few days ago when they cut the displayed inventory in half. The general consensus around this forum is that people either will not even consider AP1 or they want a big discount, much more than $7500. Those inventory cars with AP1 represent $3-4 billion that Tesla would really like to have now.

I don't have a crystal ball but my guess is Tesla will not offer huge discounts all at once to meet a Q4 goal but will instead slowly increase the discounts until the inventory is reduced. I don't think free supercharging will be a huge issue either. For me it probably represents less then $500 lifetime for my annual trips to Charlotte, so not a deal breaker to have to pay per use. More psychological than anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone
I wonder if they were forgetting about the price increase of the 60 (although the difference between what you and I were quoted doesn't reconcile with that)? If you go ahead with a purchase, please confirm what they end up doing - it would be useful for me as I'm thinking of doing the same. I hope your info is the right one, the extra $2k off would be great.
I just called another location and they confirmed the discount for rolling back a 75 to a 60 is $6500.

I was clearly told that I would get 8500 off for rollback. This was for a car that was built before the price increase. It even had sunroof for 1500 instead of 2000 now. I never did the rollback as I would then list the 3k discount that it had on it. So went with 75d instead of my custom 60d and took the discount.

so I guess Walmart is now selling Teslas? :p
6a00d8345190da69e20115706c8bb7970b-pi

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Now there are 89 cars with discounts of at least $7000, up from 60 a week ago. All the discounts have gone up a couple hundred or so. More cars listed too, but still well short of the 540 they had listed 2 weeks ago. A couple $10K discounts on P100Ds, but I just can't see people spending $150K on a car and not getting AP2. I would not be surprised to see those discounts up to $30K next month, especially now that EAP is starting to show up.

Now there are 89 cars with discounts of at least $7000, up from 60 a week ago. All the discounts have gone up a couple hundred or so. More cars listed too, but still well short of the 540 they had listed 2 weeks ago. A couple $10K discounts on P100Ds, but I just can't see people spending $150K on a car and not getting AP2. I would not be surprised to see those discounts up to $30K next month, especially now that EAP is starting to show up.

Yeah you would have to be crazy to buy a 1.0 P100D only at a 10K discount. You might as well get 2.0. Im confused on Teslas pricing algorithm. It makes no sense to me. Its like Apple charging $700 for the 6S and the 7 is priced at $800. Nobody in their right mind would get the 6S..

If you configure a car on the order page, it does show optional inventory cars that are considered "hidden cars" by ev-cpo.com which it does not list as normal inventory. Also, if you search by zip code, cars are shown which do not appear out at ev-cpo.com. There seems to be more inventory available than presented online.

• Funny
Reactions: number12
Yeah you would have to be crazy to buy a 1.0 P100D only at a 10K discount. You might as well get 2.0. Im confused on Teslas pricing algorithm. It makes no sense to me. Its like Apple charging $700 for the 6S and the 7 is priced at $800. Nobody in their right mind would get the 6S..

The 128GB iPhone 6s is $649. The 128GB iPhone 7 is $749. They still sell quite a few 6s phones.