Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did autopilot distance algorithm change lately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2019.5.15 and it's really far away from the car in front of me even when selecting '1' for distance. Acceleration from a complete stop also takes forever, but I can live with these problems.

What's really weird is that if I'm on a steep downhill all of a sudden I'm tailgating the car in front of me. It's scary.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Yes. It's gotten much worse at maintaining a consistent distance from the car in front. I have mine set on 1 car length, and very often there's room for a car to scoot in there between me and the car in front without even affecting what speed I'm going. I've filed numerous bug reports about this.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Seems like the follow distance setting is less specific these days. I've also noticed acceleration from a stop is VERY conservative. I wish they'd use the follow distance (1-7) to impact acceleration from a stop as it keeps the distance matched to your setting. That way a 1 setting would have your car accelerate almost immediately.

Reactions: Enginerd
I use 3 in suburban traffic and 4 on the freeway.

Often I will "help" the car (in traffic) using the accelerator to move off quicker from a stop or close the gap with the car in front. This takes advantage of the car allowing the accelerator without dropping out of TACC or AutoPilot. But I like my default settings.

I have 2019.5.15 and it's really far away from the car in front of me even when selecting '1' for distance. Acceleration from a complete stop also takes forever, but I can live with these problems.

What's really weird is that if I'm on a steep downhill all of a sudden I'm tailgating the car in front of me. It's scary.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Haven't noticed the distance issues; the way people drive here, I frequently use 2 on freeways (3-4 if there aren't many cars around or I want to slow down a bit to let someone in without disengaging or reducing my set speed) and 1 in traffic, else you're just inviting someone to cut you off.

Agree that acceleration from a stop is quite conservative, sometimes slow to catch up even after I nudge with the accelerator pedal.

The main changes I've noticed is how smoothly the car slows down when someone slows down or cuts in on the freeway - most of the time it's either as smooth as I would do it, or less harsh than I remember in the case of someone cutting in. If someone cuts in but they're traveling faster then the car doesn't even react anymore.