Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did drive unit fluid change today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read in several places that front drive units ending in -J or later use Dexron VI, but it is impossible to get to the part number tag on my front DU. Does anyone know when the switch was made to Dexron VI for the front units or how I can find out what DU my P100D has? Do ALL P100D's possibly use Dexron VI in both drives??

Thanks in advance for any help! Trying to change fluid tomorrow as an initial flush to get rid of any break-in
metals.

My SC told me today that pre-June 2016 Teslas have the -F front gearboxes and require the Mobil Oil and post June 2016 Teslas have the -J front gearboxes and use Dexron VI. I changed both gearbox lubricants today. The rear was simple but the front is a pain in the ass. Lots and lots of panels to remove and then there is a Velcro attached motor cover that is a bear! The service manual shows doing everything from the top but I just don't see it. I removed the frunk compartment and all the lover covers and panels. Took me all day!

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
My SC told me today that pre-June 2016 Teslas have the -F front gearboxes and require the Mobil Oil and post June 2016 Teslas have the -J front gearboxes and use Dexron VI. I changed both gearbox lubricants today. The rear was simple but the front is a pain in the ass. Lots and lots of panels to remove and then there is a Velcro attached motor cover that is a bear! The service manual shows doing everything from the top but I just don't see it. I removed the frunk compartment and all the lover covers and panels. Took me all day!

Is your car out of warranty that you're changing the fluid by yourself?

No, just wanted to get the initial "break in" fluid out and clean the magnetic plugs off. There was a small amount of grey "sludge" on each plug. About what I expected for the initial 10,000 miles. The fluid looked great from each unit. I know that the 8 year DU warranty does not require the change but I love the car and I try to take great care of my vehicles. The total cost for both units was $20 for a gallon of Dexron VI and I also learned a lot about my car at the same time.