Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did drive unit fluid change today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 P85+ got a new drive unit last spring so it was time for the fluid change. I followed a guide on youtube (first hit if you search for "model s fluid change"). It's an easy job and the biggest part is removing and re-installing the plastic shield (many bolts of 2 different types). Plus the service center damaged 2 clips that I had to fix and left 2 push pins out all together.

What I didn't like was just how much metal there was in there. The magnetic drain plug had a thick coat of metal goo on it and the old fluid had a shimmer and sparkled. No wonder Tesla added an oil filter on the Model 3.

After seeing all the metal in the old fluid I'm not comfortable with only one fluid change. I will do another one next year and then probably more fluid changes every couple three years.

The front is a bit more of a challenge, you have to remove the front tub and trim and remove the belly pan or lower front splashshield. Then there is a insulated cover on the drive unit that has Velcro that is bear and most be partially removed to gain access to drain plug. I believe it took dextron 6 capacity was around a quart.

• Funny
Reactions: IFought4U
I used Valvoline synthetic Dexron VI that I got from oreilly auto. Any auto parts store should have it, I'd think.

valvolinedexviatf.jpg

My 2013 P85+ got a new drive unit last spring so it was time for the fluid change. I followed a guide on youtube (first hit if you search for "model s fluid change"). It's an easy job and the biggest part is removing and re-installing the plastic shield (many bolts of 2 different types). Plus the service center damaged 2 clips that I had to fix and left 2 push pins out all together.

How many miles did you drive in the past year?

What I didn't like was just how much metal there was in there. The magnetic drain plug had a thick coat of metal goo on it and the old fluid had a shimmer and sparkled. No wonder Tesla added an oil filter on the Model 3.

After seeing all the metal in the old fluid I'm not comfortable with only one fluid change. I will do another one next year and then probably more fluid changes every couple three years.
If it's a new drive unit, I wouldn't be surprised if that's just the result of the initial break in. Next fluid change probably won't be as bad.

Reactions: Siggy101
Needless to say this will void any warranty you have on the DU (disclaimer for newcomers in the future)

In some countries (<cough> <cough> Europe) it can. In the US the federal Magnusson-Moss warranty act states that they can't require you to have service done by them to keep warranty intact. You can have service done anywhere or do it yourself and it has no effect on warranty status.

Note that this only applies to any initial warranty (4 years bumper-to-bumper, 8 years drivetrain). For the extended warranty you have to do service at the SC. So for me who does my own service that would bring total cost of a 4 year extended warranty to over $7K, so I skipped that.