Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did efficiency get improved with a recent update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned several Model S cars. In each and every case, including my current 2019 Raven, have always had a range efficiency that hovered in the 325-335 wh/mi range. Given, weather in So Cal has been great and perfect weather for an EV in the 75-85 degree range, But over the past several weeks, my efficiency has skyrocketed to the 280 wh/mi range. No change in driving style. Same general routes I always drive. Same Southern California area. Wondering if I'm the only one seeing or noticing this? Or did Tesla send an unannounced update that improved efficiency. Wouldn't be the first time. But, in the past, they were always well-known as Tesla boasted about the increase.

2021.36.5.3 is my current software version. But, I haven't personally received an update in the traditional form since I got the beta FSD several weeks ago now. I guess the change could of coincided with that one. But, I do notice that things have changed on the car since, notably with FSD. So Tesla is definitely doing some updates that don't require the traditional accept, download and install that we're used to.

And, I'm not certain that it is the result of an update or not. Hoping it is as that would be really cool if Tesla was able to accomplish such an increase. But, there's still a chance nothing changed, I guess. Just have never seen this type of range. I still have my lifetime range on the B setting that I set each time I get a new one and never reset it. I was up to 334 after 2 1/2 years last month. 30,000 miles+ and just in the past month, the 1,000 miles of 280 has brought the lifetime total down to 329 wh/mi in just 1,000 miles. 5 points based on just 1,000 mile to offset 30,000 miles at 334 means it was probably performing at even better than 280 over the past month.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else has noticed similar gains. That would tend to indicate that we can give credit to Tesla specifically.

Can you turn on HVAC remotely with no errors? Does it cool/warm the cabin? I had similar “boost” on efficiency on my car this spring but with the exception that front RH condenser core had a puncture and refrigerant system was totally empty. After two hours of labor and €345.- for the new part it returned to the same level as before and I can feel comfortable again on my commutes.

2021.36.5.3 is my current software version. But, I haven't personally received an update in the traditional form since I got the beta FSD several weeks ago now. I guess the change could of coincided with that one. But, I do notice that things have changed on the car since, notably with FSD. So Tesla is definitely doing some updates that don't require the traditional accept, download and install that we're used to.

And, I'm not certain that it is the result of an update or not. Hoping it is as that would be really cool if Tesla was able to accomplish such an increase. But, there's still a chance nothing changed, I guess. Just have never seen this type of range. I still have my lifetime range on the B setting that I set each time I get a new one and never reset it. I was up to 334 after 2 1/2 years last month. 30,000 miles+ and just in the past month, the 1,000 miles of 280 has brought the lifetime total down to 329 wh/mi in just 1,000 miles. 5 points based on just 1,000 mile to offset 30,000 miles at 334 means it was probably performing at even better than 280 over the past month.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else has noticed similar gains. That would tend to indicate that we can give credit to Tesla specifically.
I also have a Raven with the FSD beta but I have noticed a slight decrease in wh/mi efficiency over the past couple of months. We did get new tires in August (new ones Pirelli) so thinking that might be it.

Can you turn on HVAC remotely with no errors? Does it cool/warm the cabin? I had similar “boost” on efficiency on my car this spring but with the exception that front RH condenser core had a puncture and refrigerant system was totally empty. After two hours of labor and €345.- for the new part it returned to the same level as before and I can feel comfortable again on my commutes.
Yes, AC still works. With the temperatures we've had, have been using it as well. Very odd. It's cooling down this week, so will be interesting to see if maybe it was just "perfect weather" related.

I also have a Raven with the FSD beta but I have noticed a slight decrease in wh/mi efficiency over the past couple of months. We did get new tires in August (new ones Pirelli) so thinking that might be it.

New tires will definitely display an increased wh/mi due to the sudden half inch diameter increase resulting in fewer revolutions per mile. It's not real as your odometer is also counting up slower too.