Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon Musk flash the white supremacy symbol on SNL on Saturday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I watched several of the SNL skits on YouTube on Sunday morning and was so pleased when Musk mentioned Asperger's and thought the episode was chugging along nicely...

at one point Musk even offered a semi-apology for being a "mask-hole."

and then, during the Weekend Update skit he repeatedly flashed the "OK" sign used by white supremacists and I nearly fell of my chair.

I don't know guys.. I'm starting to feel very disappointed at the white supremacy dog whistles being flashed by Tesla's illustrious CEO or Technoking or whatever he is calling himself these days.

It was bad enough last year when he refused to shut down one of the factories and was downplaying the severity of Covid-19... and Tweeting about "red-pilling it" with Ivanka Trump.

I'm disheartened and disappointed. I love my Model S but I don't want to support a some guy who's end game is to plant a confederate flag on Mars.

I knew he was fiscally conservative.. hell if he wanted to move to TX to avoid paying state tax on his income, no problem. rich dudes like him have 1,000 houses and 1,000,000 different ways to avoid paying taxes. but to be flashing white supremacy dog whistles on national television?

I was sick to my stomach. I still am.

so I wonder, when did all this happen?

was it b/c CA told him he had to shut down the Tesla factory? was that the tipping point? The more I think of it, the more I think he has always been this way. simply hiding in plain sight. His BFF Peter Thiel is no stranger to these "libertarian" circles. silly me for thinking you could be conservative without being all about "white nationalism."

My Model S is over 5 years old now, and I had intended to drive it until the wheels fell off.. (not least of all b/c Tesla doesn't make cars with a sunroof anymore.) but after what I saw on SNL this weekend I feel I have to take my $$$ elsewhere. obviously. the car is not to blame. but it has for me lost a lot of its shine.

As a child of immigrants, it makes me sick to know that I have supported a man with a white supremacist vision.

You're talking about this "OK" sign?

Sometime the "OK" sign is just and "OK" sign.

I really think you're reading too much into this and looking for reasons to turn this into a racial/political battle.

I can assure you, it's not. Move along.

1620751480377.png

I watched several of the SNL skits on YouTube on Sunday morning and was so pleased when Musk mentioned Asperger's and thought the episode was chugging along nicely...

and then, during the Weekend Update skit he repeatedly flashed the "OK" sign used by white supremacists and I nearly fell of my chair.

I don't know guys.. I'm starting to feel very disappointed at the white supremacy dog whistles being flashed by Tesla's illustrious CEO or Technoking or whatever he is calling himself these days.

It was bad enough last year when he refused to shut down one of the factories and was downplaying the severity of Covid-19... and Tweeting about "red-pilling it" with Ivanka Trump.

I'm disheartened and disappointed. I love my Model S but I don't want to support a some guy who's end game is to plant a confederate flag on Mars.

I knew he was fiscally conservative.. hell if he wanted to move to TX to avoid paying state tax on his income, no problem. rich dudes like him have 1,000 houses and 1,000,000 different ways to avoid paying taxes. but to be flashing white supremacy dog whistles on national television?

was it b/c CA told him he had to shut down the Tesla factory? was that the tipping point? The more I think of it, the more I think he has always been this way. simply hiding in plain sight. His BFF Peter Thiel is no stranger to these "libertarian" circles. silly me for thinking you could be conservative without being all about "white nationalism."

My Model S is over 5 years old now, and I had intended to drive it until the wheels fell off.. (not least of all b/c Tesla doesn't make cars with a sunroof anymore.) but after what I saw on SNL this weekend I feel I have to take my $$$ elsewhere. obviously. the car is not to blame. but it has for me lost a lot of its shine.

As a child of immigrants, it makes me sick to know that I have supported a man with a white supremacist vision.
Wow. You must be the same type of person who thinks the existence of billionaires is immoral.

So you could add that to your list of reasons to no longer own the vehicle.

I am waiting and hoping to hear some sort of official denial. I really hope it was a mistake or misunderstanding.
He is still making a change in our world that was needed. It wouldn't happened in this generation without his vision and his will. I hear some of our greatest hero's had some horrible dark secrets. .. Ghandi is rumored to have been a pedophile. Many of our founding fathers that we admire for abolition were racists... Even if it turns out to be true, our world will be better for his work.
I still hope that it is not what it appears to be. Talk about heart break.
I will still get a cyber truck though. I can't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

You're talking about this "OK" sign?

Sometime the "OK" sign is just and "OK" sign.

I really think you're reading too much into this and looking for reasons to turn this into a racial/political battle.

I can assure you, it's not. Move along.

View attachment 661317
This is not the image of concern. The concern is about when he flips the signs backwards. I have never seen anyone do that before except for people flashing the white supremacy sign. This is really creepy and I hope to hear that this is a misunderstanding of some sort.

This is not the image of concern. The concern is about when he flips the signs backwards. I have never seen anyone do that before except for people flashing the white supremacy sign. This is really creepy and I hope to hear that this is a misunderstanding of some sort.
You’re not going to hear anyone say anything about it. Because it’s a giant nothingburger. But you should sell your car tomorrow just to be sure.

First, I imagine that 99% of the people in the World have no idea what a White Supremacy hand sign is. At least until the Media crammed it into our brains trying to make a click bait accusation to gain attention.

Second. People need to stop projecting their own internal belief systems into everyone else on the Planet. Just because someone is not as "Woke" as you does not mean they need to be erased or eliminated.

What ever happened to that great Liberal goal of encouraging diversity.

No. You're triggered but an emphatic no. Even if he were a white supremist (which he's very likely not), why would he be so stupid to flash their 'symbol' given all that he's trying to accomplish? Obviously I don't think he is, but if he were would he be so stupid as to dog whistle such ideas?

Given his age, this symbol just means 'okay'. I'm 52 and people did this for my entire life. It's not magically some secret racist sign now.

Also, why are so many 'woke' people dialed into secret 'racist' hand signals? It just means 'okay', no matter who's being triggered here. Move along please.

Last edited: