Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Elon Musk lie to us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A HUD make no sense in a self driving car, and that's where they want to go. I really doubt that's ever what they wanted to do.

When I was a kid, I had a steering wheel on my car seat. Eventually I realized the car drove itself without me spinning that thing around which made no sense to do. I asked Dad to get it out of my way because I had FSD in the 70s. :D

Then I became hooked on Apollo missions and Lost in Space, and created my own space ship from a refrigerator box. I had windows, a 'massive moon' roof, tang, and a walkie talkie to mission control. If I wanted to chase a shooting star, I'd squawk a request. If I wanted to visit alpha centauri, I'd squawk another request.

I'd love for EM's vision of the "ultimate M3 spaceship" to be simple, voice activated and with plenty of "moon roof" glass, while someone else may not. But regardless of what we end up with, it's bizarre to accuse anyone's vision to be a lie or a con, just because it doesn't jive with their own. Allow the official vision to roll out @bmzl and then you can simply make a choice to walk.

As for the argument that Elon Musk referred to AP2 with the spaceship comment, it is possible. After all, he did refer to unveil part 2 at the same time and later said AP2 announcement was the Model 3 unveil part 2.

So, that is possible.

Still, I have a hard time reconciling the spaceship comment and AP2. Especially since we know in the spring of 2016 Tesla's AP2 plans were still in a bit of flux anyway. And that they were hiring augmented reality people...

Thus it also seems possible Elon referred to something (e.g. HUD or special steering wheel system or something) that is either delayed, cancelled and/or otherwise not yet revealed. If so, I do agree it seems unlikely to see that something until after Model 3 launch, as Elon also stated Model 3 gets no new consumer facing technology (unless Model S/X gets it first, in which case this might still sort of apply)...

But regardless of what we end up with, it's bizarre to accuse anyone's vision to be a lie or a con, just because it doesn't jive with their own. Allow the official vision to roll out @bmzl and then you can simply make a choice to walk.

I do kind of get what @bmzl is saying, though. If Elon used the spaceship comment to pacify Model 3 criticism and increase reservation numbers last year, and was being less than truthful (including he should have known better than to say something about an uncertain thing), then certainly calling it a lie could be appropriate.

I am not sure at all that is what happened, but I can see some scenarios where I might agree.

Also very minimalist. And they didn't even have FSD!

0ed1affd-5426-4617-8934-c179148db13d-1417-00000230b6c56225-jpeg.221847
Not to mention much worse Cd.

What do you expect from Tesla for $35K?

Over a year ago, Elon tweeted this:

"Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.
4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

For the last year, I, and probably everyone else here have been patiently, or not, waiting to see the "spaceship" steering controls and system we had been promised. Two days ago, Jalopnik, and a few other websites showed pictures of what is represented to be the final production Model 3. http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-full-tesla-model-3-way-before-youre-suppose-1794073497.

However, what Jalopnik, et al. showed was the same interior presented to the public over a year ago at the original introduction of the Model 3. What is going on? Did Elon con us with our one year wait for our vaporware "spaceship"? If the interior we saw at last year's introduction was it, why all the mystery and subterfuge? Was it just to boost orders to impress the stock and bond markets? This is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed now.

Look - this is what we all get for over analyzing every tweet to death for months, or in this case over a year before an official unveiling. I realize this is an enthusiast forum and this is all we have to go off of but imagine if we scrutinized every product like this it would be INSANE.

Let's dial down the insanity a little and just hang tight for the reveal, or official press release on details. Then we'll have something to tear apart for real.

I do kind of get what @bmzl is saying, though. If Elon used the spaceship comment to pacify Model 3 criticism and increase reservation numbers last year, and was being less than truthful (including he should have known better than to say something about an uncertain thing), then certainly calling it a lie could be appropriate.

I am not sure at all that is what happened, but I can see some scenarios where I might agree.

You hedge yourself quite a few times in those sentences AR, but I do agree with your word choice of 'pacify'.....because calling a twitter tease a lie, sounds like an 8 year old screaming his mother lied, when he couldn't have dessert until after his dinner was finished. Good grief.

Reactions: Krugerrand
You hedge yourself quite a few times in those sentences AR, but I do agree with your word choice of 'pacify'.....because calling a twitter tease a lie, sounds like an 8 year old screaming his mother lied, when he couldn't have dessert until after his dinner was finished. Good grief.

Well, the difference here is that mother is not soliciting millions from the public in car reservations (and subsequent stock market reaction).

If Elon misled, that would be more serious than if mother disciplined. Not to mention quite different. :)

But I am not sure at all he did.

Well, the difference here is that mother is not soliciting millions from the public in car reservations (and subsequent stock market reaction).

If Elon misled, that would be more serious than if mother disciplined. Not to mention quite different. :)

But I am not sure at all he did.

Oh stop. I was comparing the OP to a whiney 8 year old unable to function outside their self.
Now you've got the mother accused of child abuse and CPS will be called before we know it. LOL

He tweeted. That's it. And he'll tweet again.....keep your magnifying glasses ready.

Reactions: Chris L
Over a year ago, Elon tweeted this:

"Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.
4:49 PM - 3 Apr 2016"

For the last year, I, and probably everyone else here have been patiently, or not, waiting to see the "spaceship" steering controls and system we had been promised. Two days ago, Jalopnik, and a few other websites showed pictures of what is represented to be the final production Model 3. http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-full-tesla-model-3-way-before-youre-suppose-1794073497.

However, what Jalopnik, et al. showed was the same interior presented to the public over a year ago at the original introduction of the Model 3. What is going on? Did Elon con us with our one year wait for our vaporware "spaceship"? If the interior we saw at last year's introduction was it, why all the mystery and subterfuge? Was it just to boost orders to impress the stock and bond markets? This is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed now.
Everything you read on the internet is true.

Elon's infamous tweet: "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

It just occurred to me that perhaps many of us may have been incorrectly interpreting the phrase "steering controls" to mean "steering wheel" (I include myself in that group).

But in fact the full phrase is "steering controls and system".

What if Elon is saying that at launch, the Model 3 with the EAP and FSDC options enabled will be capable of full autonomous driving. The car will drive itself (not necessarily on any public road anywhere in any weather condition, but on many public roads and at least in most weather conditions).

Just like a future spaceship could do all the calculations to launch itself into orbit or to another planet, in the sense that humans don't steer a spaceship with manual controls, computers calculate course and control the rocket engines.

Now, that doesn't mean that a Model 3 owner will be able to legally let the car drive itself -- with no physical input from the driver -- to a destination given by the owner. That depends on local laws and regulations. But if Elon intends to demonstrate fully autonomous driving at Model 3 launch then that could explain his tweet.

Note: if this happens I am certain that simultaneously Tesla would announce the same capability in all Model S and X that have the EAP/FSDC hardware.

Reactions: lukex4