Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I accidentally unlock FSD ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a month old MY - and I opted not to get FSD. I noticed today after activating cruise control that it felt like I unlocked FSD. I don't have much experience with modern FSD - as I had a 2016 MX with first gen autopilot.

When I have standard cruise control (I think they call it Traffic-Aware Cruise Control) active on my Model Y will I get blue street lines and the blue wheel icon in the upper left?

Or did I somehow unlock FSD? Thanks.

Ahh. Ok. Thank you.

What do I get w/ Autosteer vs FSD?
Standard Autopilot will stay between the lines, and avoid crashing into the vehicle in front. That's it. If you want to change lanes, take a turn, or stop at a red light, you must disable autopilot, complete the maneuver, and then re-engage.

With the FSD package you also get Navigate on Autopilot which does the above but also change lanes to pass slow vehicles, change lanes to get into the exit lane, and take freeway exits all on it's own (assuming you have added a destination to navigate to). It will also automatically stop at red lights(basic autopilot will not stop at a light, but it will give you an angry beep as it runs the light). You also get summon, and auto-park with the FSD package.

If you have the FSD package and opt into the testing program, you also get city-street autopiliot. Change lanes, make turns, etc on non-highway roads.

Ahh. Ok. Thank you.

What do I get w/ Autosteer vs FSD?
I tried the FSD subscription for one month and literally the only value add to me was auto lane changes. One other thing that the upgrade unlocks is summon which will drive your vehicle unoccupied short distances so you don’t have to walk to it. It’s kinda cool but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of utility to it.

I
I tried the FSD subscription for one month and literally the only value add to me was auto lane changes. One other thing that the upgrade unlocks is summon which will drive your vehicle unoccupied short distances so you don’t have to walk to it. It’s kinda cool but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of utility to it.
I think Cypho above has explained it very well in his response the difference between Autopilot and full functionality FSD . To get full FSD you have to be enrolled in the FSD Beta program (after meeting driving score safety requirements) which the one month FSD subscription will not give you. What you get with one month subscription of FSD is Navigate on Autopilot. Hope this helps.

I

I think Cypho above has explained it very well in his response the difference between Autopilot and full functionality FSD . To get full FSD you have to be enrolled in the FSD Beta program (after meeting driving score safety requirements) which the one month FSD subscription will not give you. What you get with one month subscription of FSD is Navigate on Autopilot. Hope this helps.
Yes I’m well aware of the beta and the safety score; I was also in the queue for the beta while I was subscribed to FSD. Call it what you want, but tesla itself calls the subscription service full self driving, navigate on autopilot is just one of the features included in the package. You can’t buy entry into the beta and there’s no telling when/if navigate on city streets will ever be available to the general population. So, IMO, the only form of FSD that is available to purchase doesn’t add value commensurate with its price and there’s no proof that it ever will.

With the FSD package you also get Navigate on Autopilot which does the above but also change lanes to pass slow vehicles, change lanes to get into the exit lane, and take freeway exits all on it's own (assuming you have added a destination to navigate to). It will also automatically stop at red lights(basic autopilot will not stop at a light, but it will give you an angry beep as it runs the light). You also get summon, and auto-park with the FSD package.

If you have the FSD package and opt into the testing program, you also get city-street autopiliot. Change lanes, make turns, etc on non-highway roads.
Or… you can have 12,000 dollars 🤣
AP is great. Enjoy!

As a new MYLR owner I'm still getting used to AP, and look forward to testing out FSD.

For those who are long-time owners, what is your bet on when we get to the point of 'it's worth the $12K to any Tesla buyer'?

My neighbor, longtime Tesla owner and FSD beta tester, tells me he estimates 2 to 4 years and am curious what others think. I'm afraid FSD will be $14K or $20K by the time 2024 or 2026 rolls around!

Summon is fantastic if you park your car in a garage and have kids, much easier to summon the car as you walk out your front door and everyone gets in the car in the driveway, wish you could buy it as a standalone

I have a month old MY - and I opted not to get FSD. I noticed today after activating cruise control that it felt like I unlocked FSD. I don't have much experience with modern FSD - as I had a 2016 MX with first gen autopilot.

When I have standard cruise control (I think they call it Traffic-Aware Cruise Control) active on my Model Y will I get blue street lines and the blue wheel icon in the upper left?

Or did I somehow unlock FSD? Thanks.

This is a STANDARD Tesla auto-steer. Driving on any road other than an interstate highway on FSD will give you red lines indicating the road edges and a solid single blue line indicating most likely path.