Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I fix phantom braking on the NJTP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So earlier this year I was southbound on the NJTP in cars/truck/busses using nav on AP, and the car suddenly reduced speed to maybe 50 mph from probably 70 mph. That was annoying. Then it happened again a few miles later, wtf. Whatever. Later in the summer I was on the same stretch of road, and voila, it happened again, in I think the same spot.

There is a theory (Is Tesla using OSM via MapBox, Valhalla? / Questions and Answers / OpenStreetMap Forum) Tesla is using OpenStreetMap for speed limit data, and if it’s missing, it defaults to 45 mph, explaining at least some phantom braking. I followed the OSM track down the NJTP and sure enough there is a bridge over Mill Lane West road near Columbus that the speed limit data was missing from in the cars/trucks/busses lanes. So I fixed it...

If Tesla really is getting speed limits from OSM, I’m not sure how long it takes for changes to propagate (I’ve heard 6 months, and I’ve heard instant). I’m not on the NJTP often enough to test if it worked myself; can a regular corroborate my experience, localize it specifically to the Mill Lane West road bridge, or tell me if it is fixed?

If it’s true, this is an easy fix for phantom braking, once people know about it.

Certainly not fixed yet. On 11/21/21, my family and I returned from a long road trip to the Palm Springs CA area in my new 2021 Model Y Long Range. During that trip I have determined that cruise control is unusable on 2 lane highway travel. When there is oncoming traffic on a 2 lane highway, the car will suddenly slam on the brakes even after disabling ALL autopilot features and enabling only cruise control. The brake application is almost certain to happen if a large semi truck is coming in the opposite direction, but will periodically happen when changing from light to shaded road, climbing and cresting a rise in the road or when negotiating right-hand curves where cars are heading in the opposite direction. It is shocking when it happens and is entirely unsafe especially when someone is following behind me. Basically, cruise control in my Model Y in its current state is unusable and dangerous. During our trip I literally had to drive hundreds of miles with no cruise control just like I did when I drove that same route in my 1982 Plymouth Sapporo I owned when I graduated high school in 1985. In the 2 lane highway situation, all I need is basic cruise control where the car will maintain its speed and I will be responsible for the rest.

Certainly not fixed yet. On 11/21/21, my family and I returned from a long road trip to the Palm Springs CA area in my new 2021 Model Y Long Range. During that trip I have determined that cruise control is unusable on 2 lane highway travel. When there is oncoming traffic on a 2 lane highway, the car will suddenly slam on the brakes even after disabling ALL autopilot features and enabling only cruise control. The brake application is almost certain to happen if a large semi truck is coming in the opposite direction, but will periodically happen when changing from light to shaded road, climbing and cresting a rise in the road or when negotiating right-hand curves where cars are heading in the opposite direction. It is shocking when it happens and is entirely unsafe especially when someone is following behind me. Basically, cruise control in my Model Y in its current state is unusable and dangerous. During our trip I literally had to drive hundreds of miles with no cruise control just like I did when I drove that same route in my 1982 Plymouth Sapporo I owned when I graduated high school in 1985. In the 2 lane highway situation, all I need is basic cruise control where the car will maintain its speed and I will be responsible for the rest.
Completely different problem from what OP was asking about, but a problem nevertheless.

I drove up and down the NJTP recently and didn’t notice any unexpected braking issues, so maybe the change to OSM fixed it. When I say unexpected braking issues, I mean those not caused by things I can see and are known to cause problems.

well if you look at your software settings in the car, the navigation version is still dated 2020. so I doubt any recent edits to OSM or other sources would make a difference any time soon. I've fixed a few things in OSM since 10.2 but haven't seen the car pick up on it.