Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I get scammed? [on tint and PPF install]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in a mid size (~250k people) midwest city. I wanted to get windows tinted, and maybe get some PPF.

Decided on XPEL XR Plus Window Tint, and there are 4 shops in town that are certified XPEL dealers. Got quotes from all 4, and went with this particular shop because they tied for cheapest price, and had the best reviews.

Owner's wife answers phones and there is a bit of a language barrier but she told me they have 35% Plus, but do not carry 30%. I wanted 30% but 35% close enough, fine. Scheduled an appt.

Went in yesterday morning at 10am for appt. One of the installers comes out to greet me and he's asking me what I want and he says they don't carry 35%, only 30%. I thought weird, but okay. Told installer I'm interested in learning more about PPF. Owner comes out and quotes a low price for a "Bikini PPF" of the bumper, part of hood and fenders, and side mirrors and door edges. I agree. Then owner says he can have it done same day, and I think "how could he have 4 doors, rear hatch, windshield, and PPF done today?" but I think okay maybe he has multiple installers. I tell him to keep it overnight so he doesn't have to rush it.

Went with 70% XR Plus Windshield, Rear Doors, Rear Hatch and 30% XR Plus Front Two Doors plus the Bikini PPF in XPEL Ultimate Plus.

Did some more research yesterday afternoon and learn that most of the better PPF installers "wrap the edges." I called owner, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He kept thinking I was asking about the door edges. Had to explain it to him, and he said they would wrap the hood. So now I am a little nervous.

Go in today to pick up car around noon. Right when I see the car I notice the film seems more grey/black than a blue-ish hue. The samples they have up on the wall, as well as reports here in the forum say that XR Plus is more blue than grey/black. Went over to their wall of film (attached pic) and notice they have a TON of CS and XR Black, but not a single box of XR Plus anywhere. Also notice edges are not wrapped, and PPF from panel to panel doesn't match, and there are small circular holes in the film at the edges. Also PPF lines are not straight or consistent, and on the rear view mirrors, it only goes on one side and doesn't wrap around to the side facing the car.

I ask owner about the XR Plus and he claims it's so expensive they don't keep boxes of it, and only have it hanging up on the rolls on the wall (which are all labeled "Ceramic"). He could tell I was hesitant, but claims I did get XR Plus, and that that is how PPF is installed and how it is supposed to look. Fine.

Go to pay and receipt says "ceramic tint" with no brand or product type. I ask the wife (who is also checking me out) and she does change receipt to say XPEL XR Plus.

Did I get scammed, or am I being a Karen? Help.
I’d be livid if that was the end product of my car.. also in the future it’s best to get quoted by a bunch of shops and pick the middle one.. after seeing Yelp reviews first.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
This makes me feel OK for spending $1k to get formula 1 Stratos tint all around. The tint I got is seamless on the edges and you can’t tell there is film installed other than the window being 50% less translucent. Terrible work. You got got. That sucks. Sounds like suing them isn’t worth while either as they probably have no way to pay the claim.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Thank you for everyone’s feedback! It seems that I do not have to worry that I am being a Karen. LOL

I am on the way to the new shop that the XPEL regional manager personally recommends and I can’t wait to show you guys what they’re going to do.

XPEL as a company and its representatives have been incredible. I think I just got a lemon of a job from a lemon of a shop.

I’ll provide updates as soon as I have them and will post pictures of the new work. Surprise coming!

I am currently in a mid size (~250k people) midwest city. I wanted to get windows tinted, and maybe get some PPF.

Decided on XPEL XR Plus Window Tint, and there are 4 shops in town that are certified XPEL dealers. Got quotes from all 4, and went with this particular shop because they tied for cheapest price, and had the best reviews.

Owner's wife answers phones and there is a bit of a language barrier but she told me they have 35% Plus, but do not carry 30%. I wanted 30% but 35% close enough, fine. Scheduled an appt.

Went in yesterday morning at 10am for appt. One of the installers comes out to greet me and he's asking me what I want and he says they don't carry 35%, only 30%. I thought weird, but okay. Told installer I'm interested in learning more about PPF. Owner comes out and quotes a low price for a "Bikini PPF" of the bumper, part of hood and fenders, and side mirrors and door edges. I agree. Then owner says he can have it done same day, and I think "how could he have 4 doors, rear hatch, windshield, and PPF done today?" but I think okay maybe he has multiple installers. I tell him to keep it overnight so he doesn't have to rush it.

Went with 70% XR Plus Windshield, Rear Doors, Rear Hatch and 30% XR Plus Front Two Doors plus the Bikini PPF in XPEL Ultimate Plus.

Did some more research yesterday afternoon and learn that most of the better PPF installers "wrap the edges." I called owner, and he had no idea what I was talking about. He kept thinking I was asking about the door edges. Had to explain it to him, and he said they would wrap the hood. So now I am a little nervous.

Go in today to pick up car around noon. Right when I see the car I notice the film seems more grey/black than a blue-ish hue. The samples they have up on the wall, as well as reports here in the forum say that XR Plus is more blue than grey/black. Went over to their wall of film (attached pic) and notice they have a TON of CS and XR Black, but not a single box of XR Plus anywhere. Also notice edges are not wrapped, and PPF from panel to panel doesn't match, and there are small circular holes in the film at the edges. Also PPF lines are not straight or consistent, and on the rear view mirrors, it only goes on one side and doesn't wrap around to the side facing the car.

I ask owner about the XR Plus and he claims it's so expensive they don't keep boxes of it, and only have it hanging up on the rolls on the wall (which are all labeled "Ceramic"). He could tell I was hesitant, but claims I did get XR Plus, and that that is how PPF is installed and how it is supposed to look. Fine.

Go to pay and receipt says "ceramic tint" with no brand or product type. I ask the wife (who is also checking me out) and she does change receipt to say XPEL XR Plus.

Did I get scammed, or am I being a Karen? Help.
As far as the Ppf they definitely are not very good with precut installs, he definitely cut under the headlight by hand, which is a horrible hand cut imo. a 3rd grader could cut a better edge. I can almost bet you have a cut in the paint. Also it will catch dirt and always look like poo unless you wash it every other day. Not all Xpel shops are good, almost anyone can get Xpel after going to training and paying money. My tip, dont go for the cheap shop. go for the most expensive. There's a reason why they are expensive. I would have done a bulk or extended edge install on your vehicle , bulk is always better. you get almost full coverage, completely seamless install. but, on a good note atleast it's still protected!

This makes me feel OK for spending $1k to get formula 1 Stratos tint all around. The tint I got is seamless on the edges and you can’t tell there is film installed other than the window being 50% less translucent. Terrible work. You got got. That sucks. Sounds like suing them isn’t worth while either as they probably have no way to pay the claim.
$1,000? WTF are Tesla owners smoking. I really hope it includes a windshield, and the roof and then its just slightly overpriced.

As far as the Ppf they definitely are not very good with precut installs, he definitely cut under the headlight by hand, which is a horrible hand cut imo. a 3rd grader could cut a better edge. I can almost bet you have a cut in the paint. Also it will catch dirt and always look like poo unless you wash it every other day. Not all Xpel shops are good, almost anyone can get Xpel after going to training and paying money. My tip, dont go for the cheap shop. go for the most expensive. There's a reason why they are expensive. I would have done a bulk or extended edge install on your vehicle , bulk is always better. you get almost full coverage, completely seamless install. but, on a good note atleast it's still protected!

This mentality is so common with tesla owners. Go with the most expensive is awful advice. Yall are putting their kids through ivy league schools and buying a 3rd vacation home. Crazy..

Okay, huge update! XPEL and one of their best shops called Driven (drivenmn.com) based out of Minneapolis have been absolutely amazing to work with and have went above and beyond anything I could have expected or asked for.

After calling their general customer service line, the regional manager got back to me and told me he was going to have the work redone and to let him do some research. I originally only had the front clip done. He called me back later and said he's got an idea, and what would I think of having one of their top shops wrap the entire vehicle. I couldn't believe it! I asked whether they cared if I did the Ultimate Plus or the Stealth, and he said even though the Stealth takes more work either one is fine. I have ALWAYS wanted a matte/satin car so I jumped at the chance. I was ecstatic!

The XPEL rep then got me in contact with Ethan from Driven, and we got everything planned out. Driven was fitting me in to an already full schedule so I told them to take the car as long as they need, and there is no rush. This is why the update has taken a while.

I added on XPEL Ceramic Coating and some 3M Vinyl Wrap work from Driven as well. I am digging the blacked out pillars/roof rails. It reminds me of the contrast roof on Range Rovers.

I am currently driving the car back to the west coast, and I added some black wheel covers to complete the look, but no pics with the wheel covers yet because I am not supposed to wash it for a couple weeks and it's currently filthy from the 1,000+ mile drive. Will post more pictures once that final touch with the wheel covers is complete.

I will be using Driven and XPEL for all of me vehicles going forward. It's so rare to see a company stand behind their product and go so far above and beyond. I cannot thank Driven or XPEL enough. Driven's attention to detail in covering and tucking/wrapping everything is INCREDIBLE and I love how it turned out!

What do you guys think of my new satin ride!?

tempImageByalC1.jpg
tempImage5TMrnF.jpg
tempImageWlFaWI.jpg
tempImagerhhEsY.jpg
tempImageAaXWcm.jpg
tempImagemPxmtN.jpg
tempImage9BCcIO.jpg