Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I hear correctly? FSD WILL require hardware updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that FSD will in fact require hardware updates to 3.0? Just received my car 7/3 pre ordered FSD I assume that any upgrade would be covered? sort of sucks...

BMW in 2017: Here is a nice 3 Series for $56,000 with a non-touchscreen iDrive screen.
BMW in 2018: We now have a touchscreen on the 3 Series iDrive. If you want it you will need to buy another $56,000 car.

Tesla in 2018: Here's a fabulous Model 3 EV with EAP and the hardware needed for FSD.
Tesla in 2019: We have a new computer board to update your FSD in your 2018 Model 3. It's 10 times faster than the one that shipped in the car. It's yours for free. Just let us install it.

Think about it. Which one of those truly sucks...?

That was literally one of the declared features of FSD. Along with going to event locations in your calendar and taking your home if you get in and don't give it a destination (e.g. passed out drunk).

I understand that, but I'm thinking FSD for your daily commute could happen sooner if they allow a shadow mode just for that route and once it learns your commute, it would only be available for your daily commute from then-on. This, of course, is until FSD if fully-baked, at which time all rides would be autonomous.

what sucks is that I just got the car, if a hardware update is needed and they knew it it sucks that they would not be installing the new hardware already and that the car would need to go into service for the upgrade which would mean thousands of cars needing it, which service and turn around time is not their strength, as I am waiting over a week just for a call back from service. for me justification that it "sucks" :)
Michelin May be working on better tires for next year...doesn’t mean they are available now.

Reactions: mhan00 and rdlink
I understand that, but I'm thinking FSD for your daily commute could happen sooner if they allow a shadow mode just for that route and once it learns your commute, it would only be available for your daily commute from then-on. This, of course, is until FSD if fully-baked, at which time all rides would be autonomous.
That ain't gonna happen. Too many variables at play that it might as well just be full FSD.

what sucks is that I just got the car, if a hardware update is needed and they knew it it sucks that they would not be installing the new hardware already and that the car would need to go into service for the upgrade which would mean thousands of cars needing it, which service and turn around time is not their strength, as I am waiting over a week just for a call back from service. for me justification that it "sucks" :)

@M3Denver,

Are you serious? I honestly don’t jump on the bandwagon with posts like this but I just couldn’t sit idly by on this one. To start I didn’t know whether to rate this ‘Disagree’ or ‘Funny’ but Disagree won out by a ‘Large’ margin.
If this is where you are starting with the enjoyment of your 3 you’re in for a world of ‘hurt and dissapointment’ on this great, innovative, leading edge journey with Tesla and the Model 3. The car continues to endlessly get better with a continuous stream of OTA updates....and other add ons. I can’t count the sheer mind numbing number of OTA updates since the car was first released a year ago.
I dont even have the car yet and I’ve since gotten: (all added after the fact on the fly by Elon)

Aluminum Sport Performance Pedals
Larger Performance Brembo Brakes
Larger Performance Rotors
Free lifetime Internet connectivity
And most recently just afew days ago:
Free lifetime Supercharging!

And NOW Elon’s adding a new board/chip/computer to enhance EAP and FSD and your complaining? Am I missing something?

This company is leading edge and on the cusp.....actually has ALREADY changed the automotive industry forever.
Please hop ‘onboard’ and enjoy the ride.

You my friend should have bought a Volt.

Ski

Reactions: Sweet OJ
I now have had the car for 600 miles and just got the latest update. Summon is fun but the door lock beep is a winner. Wifi is nice but for updates and I am not sure what other use it has.

But the true joy is that the car is not going downhill starting at DAY 1 off the lot. Think about it Tesla has reversed entropy .. the bain of all machines.. I have >50 years of driving where 10s of thousands of $ just zipped into thin air.

We have come to think of phones and computers being improved upon as a normal course of things and with each it is a replacement of the whole device.. Now we have a car that the important part -- compute power-- is easily fixed (IFixIt may be your vendor in the future) and the basic hardware (frame motors tires..) has a longer practical life.

I fly a 50 year old airplane that is maintained mechanically to the point that it is as good as a new one. The model for upgrading the compute bits is there and the transport part has much longer legs.

Besides the change from fossil to motors is just just mind bending to me as a gear head, and I am jazzed at the acceleration and flat cornering that the car has.

Waa Waa Waa. we have to replace a board for the upgrade... You never had to replace Cam Lifters, Pistons or headers and heads. This car is a dream. Replace the motor / drive assy, look at the utube it is trivial. Replace the battery a handful of connections. Dont like black interior replace it.

It may truly be a car you can keep as long as our airplane (I work on personal planes and see what owners will do to keep a fundamentally good piece of equipment just by saying the "fixing" is better than replacing).

Ponder the possible genius of not replacing several million autos a year if you are a machine not energy environmentalist.
Bring on the future finally.

Yes I am a Fan..... With logic and history. Will it do everything ...... not yet BUT maybe later.
:)
Another day in paradise.. Patrick

Reactions: OBX John
BMW in 2017: Here is a nice 3 Series for $56,000 with a non-touchscreen iDrive screen.
BMW in 2018: We now have a touchscreen on the 3 Series iDrive. If you want it you will need to buy another $56,000 car.

Tesla in 2018: Here's a fabulous Model 3 EV with EAP and the hardware needed for FSD.
Tesla in 2019: We have a new computer board to update your FSD in your 2018 Model 3. It's 10 times faster than the one that shipped in the car. It's yours for free. Just let us install it.

Think about it. Which one of those truly sucks...?
Let's rewind to 2016 just for fun.

Tesla in 2016: Here's the fabulous Model S/X with the best AP and we just figured out we can do everything with radar creating point cloud etc. so it will detect objects beyond the car in front. It will also do summon on private roads, going on/off ramp, etc.

Tesla in 2016 (yes, the same year): We now have AP HW2.0 that is capable of EAP and FSD. AP1 parity to be ready by December 31 2016. If you want it you will need to buy another $100k car. No retrofit will be offered to AP HW1 cars that were just delivered today. All those features mentioned before for AP1 are no longer available (taken off website) and will be in AP2 (as of this writing none of them is available).

Tesla in 2016: Here's the fabulous Model S/X with the best AP and we just figured out we can do everything with radar creating point cloud etc. so it will detect objects beyond the car in front. It will also do summon on private roads, going on/off ramp, etc.

Tesla in 2016 (yes, the same year): We now have AP HW2.0 that is capable of EAP and FSD. AP1 parity to be ready by December 31 2016. If you want it you will need to buy another $100k car. No retrofit will be offered to AP HW1 cars that were just delivered today. All those features mentioned before for AP1 are no longer available (taken off website) and will be in AP2 (as of this writing none of them is available).

Audi in 2011: “Here’s our A4, it does Bluetooth phone calls. Here’s our VP saying it does Bluetooth audio streaming too”
Audi in 2012: “whaaaa we never said that! But here’s a new model year Audi that has zero new features except conveniently it does Bluetooth audio stream.

Audi in 2014: Hey check out stop-and-go adaptive cruise control! But if you stop for more than 1 second it goes into HOLD mode and you have to tap the gas to go again. Blind spot sensing is disabled below 25mph
Audi in 2015: Oh now instead of 1 second it’s 3 seconds. And blind spot sensing is good down to 13mph now.

*shrug* what Tesla did was sucky with overpromising AP features but it’s still way better than 99% of the crap traditional automakers refuse to do and to tell you to buy a new nearly-identical car instead....

It sounds like a tough situation, but what exactly does it have to do with my post or my point?

I was merely pointing out to the OP that it was a little ridiculous to claim that it "sucks," having to let Tesla give him a 10x speed and power increase in his 1 year old Model 3 for free.

But we don’t know, what the fsd price will be at that moment...Tesla constantly changes prices.

And your point is...?

Seriously, what difference does it make? If you didn't buy FSD as part of the original car, and still don't want it why do you care whether it gets the hardware upgrade? If you decide you want FSD later you should be prepared to pay the market price at the time you decide to buy it. And Tesla gets to set that price. Just like any other manufacturer gets to decide what the market price is for their cars' features. And you as the consumer get to decide whether that price is something you want to pay.

Reactions: mhan00