Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I invest too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it’s too crazy. At this moment, you can’t get a new Model S long range with those features (EAP) for less than $79,420 + tax, tags, title. EAP features are in the FSD package for $10k unless EAP is offered again this quarter. Anyway, out where I live, a new Model S with FSD is north of $85k. The OP came in at ~$69,200, which is a roughly $15.7k differential.

The cost differential is not insignificant $15.7k buys most notably (opinion) would be another 100+ miles of range, a refined suspension system and faster charging rates at superchargers. In this scenario, it all costs $15.7k more and if the OP could have paid that if they really wanted it all, no expense spared, but they bought what felt like a good bargain, and to me it seems fair.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. Enjoy your Tesla because it really is something special.

You paid a fair price overall. Although, I typically never buy extended warranties on anything. Extended warranty companies make money by taking in more money than they do NOT paying out money. So on average? Most persons who buy extended warranties never get back what they put in.

is that a Tesla warranty? Are there TONS of exclusions and exceptions in the details?

Last edited:
I know I can't change it at this point, but I would like to hear what others think given that I am so new to Tesla.
Once you buy a big ticket item like a house or car, it's generally best not to continue "shopping" or trying to figure out if it was a good deal/investment. The time to do that has past. Just enjoy the purchase at this point.

IMO pricing on the used cars hasn't fully caught up with recent price drops, and equipment/range increases.
So while you can find others selling for comparable prices I don't believe $50k is reasonable for a 4yo car.

Now if you just look at original window sticker you did fine, but that is to be willfully ignorant of new pricing.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Thank you all for joining the conversation. I totally agree that since I can't change/return it, it is probably an exercise in futility to wonder if I should have spent that much on a 4 year old car. That said, I appreciate UCMNDD"s comment that

I did a little research on the car prior to purchasing it, and was told it was best to get the extended warranty, so I feel good about that purchase. I also feel ok about the overall price of the car as I did quite a bit of research on a private party price and got the original owner down from $60k (had verbal agreement at 50k but he reneged.)

So I guess really it is just the $7700 I spent after the fact upgrading to full FSD and the Infotainment upgrade that make me think "hey did I go a little over the top." I rationalized the purchase by thinking that if I bought a base at 69,420, it wouldn't have the sunroof and FSD, free supercharging, and premium connectivity (yes I know its only $10 per month, but hey I'm rationalizing here :)

On a quick pivot, if anyone has any thoughts on things that I should get checked out before the factory warranty runs out in 12 days, I would definitely be interested in hearing about that as well. Everything on the car appears to be functioning well, except, I am noticing a "clunking" on the front driver side wheel area when the autopilot applies the brakes at a stop sign or light on city streets, which I am going to have them check.

Other than that, I am going to take all of your advice and really enjoy the car.

Thanks for sharing.

FW98
I have a mid-2016 90D, so pretty similar vintage to your car with the exception that I'm AP1, not AP2.

Regarding your comment of charging to 277 max, I have 58,440 on mine at the moment and will charge to about 271-272 on a full charge. You're maybe a little lower than I was at the point my car had 27k miles on it, but it's difficult to separate the factors of time versus distance traveled on degradation, so I'd say for a later 90 pack, your range is probably pretty typical.

As to your choice of upgrades, doing the MCU2 upgrade probably makes sense for a car with AP2, but I'm unclear yet if I'll spend the money to upgrade mine. I feel there's more benefit to that upgrade for AP2 owners than those of us with AP1 given the lack of any sentry type of capability. I did chose to forego the extended service agreement.

The one thing I would take a look at before your warranty expires is your headlights. The refresh models, particularly our vintage, have behaviour of the daytime running light eyebrow first yellowing and then failing from the lower inside corner and then progressing across the top of the brow. Those assemblies are about $1500-1700 each to replace outside of warranty. If they are showing signs of yellowing or out part of the way across the top I'd ask they replace those under warranty.

NHTSA has opened an investigation around front suspension failures on cars of our vintage due to front ball joint failures. That might be the cause for your clunk, so you could ask them to check that.

I agree with enjoying the car. You have the new MCU2 upgrade infotainment system, FSD with HW 3.0, Pano Roof which I enjoy on my P85 very much, great range at 277 or about 250 at 90%. Technology will always be advancing as so will Tesla's cars. Enjoy it. When all is said and done, you'll be able to sell or trade in your car. Depending on mileage and accidents, you'll be able to trade in for a good chunk back down the road and put into another Tesla. ENJOY!@

Yeah it cost $$$, but it is souped up! Got to pay to play. Plus a new MS is 70K + 10K FSD + another what 6K in taxes and fees. That's 85-90K out of pocket vs your 65-70K. So for another 20K cash yeah you'll get a new MS, but for another $20K cash under you'll get a 45K MS. You have low mileage on it so its good and you hooked it up. You'll enjoy updates on the MCU2 and FSD updates, so you are marching right behind of the front of the parade.

I agree with enjoying the car. You have the new MCU2 upgrade infotainment system, FSD with HW 3.0, Pano Roof which I enjoy on my P85 very much, great range at 277 or about 250 at 90%. Technology will always be advancing as so will Tesla's cars. Enjoy it. When all is said and done, you'll be able to sell or trade in your car. Depending on mileage and accidents, you'll be able to trade in for a good chunk back down the road and put into another Tesla. ENJOY!@

Yeah it cost $$$, but it is souped up! Got to pay to play. Plus a new MS is 70K + 10K FSD + another what 6K in taxes and fees. That's 85-90K out of pocket vs your 65-70K. So for another 20K cash yeah you'll get a new MS, but for another $20K cash under you'll get a 45K MS. You have low mileage on it so its good and you hooked it up. You'll enjoy updates on the MCU2 and FSD updates, so you are marching right behind of the front of the parade.
The p85 was rated at 265miles new, how do you have more miles 6 years later?

• Funny
Reactions: besnova

you have FSD/HW3 on your 2014 P85? And you get 277 miles of range?

ok.

• Funny
I took it as him pointing out what the OP got, then pointing out that he likes the pano roof on his P85. Better the miles is rated/ideal thing.

@SO16 fair point on the heavy depreciation of a new car and a car is a waste of money anyway.
That said a new one has 100+miles more range. I don't get too worked up about range anxiety, but if there was one thing I would like to change about my P85 it would be range 242miles(101k miles) makes it hard to take to my parents place, and means an hour stop each way when visiting my sister.
I am happy with the rwd even here near Green Bay where the roads were slick with frost yesterday. Like the metal roof, am fine with no AP, MCU1 plays music and podcasts fine, range is all I would like more of.

@SO16 fair point on the heavy depreciation of a new car and a car is a waste of money anyway.
That said a new one has 100+miles more range. I don't get too worked up about range anxiety, but if there was one thing I would like to change about my P85 it would be range 242miles(101k miles) makes it hard to take to my parents place, and means an hour stop each way when visiting my sister.
I am happy with the rwd even here near Green Bay where the roads were slick with frost yesterday. Like the metal roof, am fine with no AP, MCU1 plays music and podcasts fine, range is all I would like more of.

Well I paid 105k for my 2017 S90D. The day I received it, the 100D came out for the same price. One thing about Tesla, their cars are amazing but they do improve very quickly with new versions. I have 2 regrets after getting mine.

1. Not buying one sooner. Not getting any younger and I do enjoy the vehicle.

2. Paying cash. Should have just taken out a loan and invested it in TSLA.

Reactions: Prowler and besnova
Well I paid 105k for my 2017 S90D. The day I received it, the 100D came out for the same price. One thing about Tesla, their cars are amazing but they do improve very quickly with new versions. I have 2 regrets after getting mine.

1. Not buying one sooner. Not getting any younger and I do enjoy the vehicle.

2. Paying cash. Should have just taken out a loan and invested it in TSLA.
Amen to #2. I try to avoid outlaying that much cash on depreciating assets, yada yada "missed opportunity costs".