Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I invest too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In October of this year I bought a fully loaded 2016 P100DL for $71k from Tesla. Loaded with FSD but MCU 1. Came with 4 year warranty. I am happy with the purchase. Sounds like you got about as good as deal as I did. I got the premium connectivity but no free super charging or an MCU 2. If I were to get the MCU 2. Mine cost about $10 k more than yours, so thats about right for a P100d to a 90d

Reactions: byeLT4
Well I paid 105k for my 2017 S90D. The day I received it, the 100D came out for the same price. One thing about Tesla, their cars are amazing but they do improve very quickly with new versions. I have 2 regrets after getting mine.

1. Not buying one sooner. Not getting any younger and I do enjoy the vehicle.

2. Paying cash. Should have just taken out a loan and invested it in TSLA.

Amen to #2. I try to avoid outlaying that much cash on depreciating assets, yada yada "missed opportunity costs".

Yep but you are saving interest by paying cash. So it's like investing in stocks but just a sure thing of a payback. Tesla stocks doing good today but you never know what's in the future. You know interest will be there and how much will be there, if you borrow money. So buying with cash is a safer investment.

Yep but you are saving interest by paying cash. So it's like investing in stocks but just a sure thing of a payback. Tesla stocks doing good today but you never know what's in the future. You know interest will be there and how much will be there, if you borrow money. So buying with cash is a safer investment.

Depends on the interest rate, interest rate these days is like ~2%.
Put this money in the index fund and long term growth is going to be more than 2%

Amen to #2. I try to avoid outlaying that much cash on depreciating assets, yada yada "missed opportunity costs".

Summer of last year, we had a chance to tour the Fremont Factory (highly recommended). The Tesla employee that gave us the tour drives a Perf M3. He said he was a broke college grad when he interned for a company where the boss drove one of the original roadsters and he was summoned to drive it to a car wash. Love at first sight and obsession at first drive is what he said. Owner told him they're too expensive for a broke college grad like him but he told him to buy TSLA instead - which he said at the time was trading at $30ish per share. Long story short, he started investing every extra money he had on TSLA, and in 2018 when the M3 came out - he had more than enough to pay for it in cash from his TSLA shares.

In hindsight, had he taken a loan out for the M3, and kept his $70k in TSLA, he would've been better off.

You can get a 90D 2.0 with FSD with 1 year additional warranty on top of what's remaining for ~48K

so 52K is STEEP.
Op paid 5k for FSD upgrade so we are comparing 48K to 57K

I don't doubt that it is possible to get what you indicated, as I scoured quite a bit. However, I think the little extra's may adjust the price for a similar car. (Ie., apples to apples). For example, I have the pano roof, the free supercharging, the free data, leather interior, and less than 28K miles.

That said, I don't know if that equals $9k but it sure looks nice sitting in my driveway ;)

What Tesla lists used vehicles for on their site is nowhere in the realm of reality when you compare against private party sales.

Remember, Tesla is actively trying to discourage the sale of used vehicles.

Can you expand on what you mean by this please. The second hand automotive market is traditionally 4 or 5 times the size in terms of value compared to the new car market. Are you suggesting they are working to remove inventory and therefore produce a scarcity? Or that they are trying to depreciate the market overall? It is not clear.

Can you expand on what you mean by this please. The second hand automotive market is traditionally 4 or 5 times the size in terms of value compared to the new car market. Are you suggesting they are working to remove inventory and therefore produce a scarcity? Or that they are trying to depreciate the market overall? It is not clear.
Don’t try to make much sense out of @glide ’s musings. He’s really only here at this point to complain in an effort to settle his personal score with Tesla.

Reactions: IslandHydro