Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I just make a dumb mistake? 22 inch Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I just went and grabbed 4 22 inch rims from a junkyard and took them into get powder coated, etc. I totally forgot that the 22-inch wheels are staggered. Are the Rims the same size or am I going to be doing some trading around? I was going to be buying 4 new tires. I know this is a dumb question and I am probably going to be kicking myself on this

Thanks

I deserve that, god I can't believe I didn't think of it.

1) My model X has the 22's and sorry the look is just awesome. These are for my better half as she has the 20 inch
2) Powder Coating them Matte Black, same color just getting a little of the road rash out. Not dumb at all.
3) That I really messed up on.
4) So, I might be selling a rim or two, what is funny is I actually bought from someone on this site and they run a high-end car salvage yard and sell parts.

1) My model X has the 22's and sorry the look is just awesome. These are for my better half as she has the 20 inch
2) Powder Coating them Matte Black, same color just getting a little of the road rash out. Not dumb at all.
4) So, I might be selling a rim or two, what is funny is I actually bought from someone on this site and they run a high-end car salvage yard and sell parts.
GOOD MORNING I DO APOLOGIZE FOR THAT MISTAKE. IM GOING TO LOOK FOR THE FRONT WHEELS YOU NEED I WILL LET YOU KNOW AS SOON AS I HAVE THEM.

Reactions: VikH and Dave EV

Beauty is personal, but I think the oversized rims look REALLY ugly, besides being more expensive, worse ride, and more susceptible to damage. Worse mileage, too! To each their own ...

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Beauty is personal, but I think the oversized rims look REALLY ugly, besides being more expensive, worse ride, and more susceptible to damage. Worse mileage, too! To each their own ...
The whole point of the 22" is for looks and performance. It's universally understood that larger, staggered rims will always look better than smaller/non-staggered ones.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
The whole point of the 22" is for looks and performance. It's universally understood that larger, staggered rims will always look better than smaller/non-staggered ones.

Not universal. To each their own. I think they look silly. I also can’t stand lowered cars. But that’s what I like; it’s simply personal preference and not a universal anything.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Wrong. Larger wheels generally are worse for performance. Looks are the only thing that, dependent on your point of view, are improved.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Wrong. Larger wheels generally are worse for performance. Looks are the only thing that, dependent on your point of view, are improved.

Did you really just compare Model X to an F1 car to make a tire physics statement? Lmao

They're worse for performance if weight is an issue. But it's a clear fact that the 22" wheels are wider and grippier than the 19/20" ones, thus improving cornering, grip for acceleration, and braking (again more grip).

They do weight like 20 lbs more each, however, so your 6,610 Model X will now weigh 6,690 lbs.

Did you really just compare Model X to an F1 car to make a tire physics statement? Lmao

They're worse for performance if weight is an issue. But it's a clear fact that the 22" wheels are wider and grippier than the 19/20" ones, thus improving cornering, grip for acceleration, and braking (again more grip).

They do weight like 20 lbs more each, however, so your 6,610 Model X will now weigh 6,690 lbs.
I was calling out the fact that your claim that it is “universally known” that larger wheels improve performance is wrong. Large wheel diameters in general add excess unsprung mass, the worst type of weight for performance, and do not improve acceleration or handling, in fact quite the contrary. Tire width and tread patterns / compounds do provide gains.

Doesn’t matter if it’s F1 or road cars, if larger diameter wheels provide better performance as you state, F1 cars would also benefit (they don’t…). I also referenced an article for road cars in my original response.

Last edited: