Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I kill my “cigarette lighter”? help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Tonight I helped host a full moon trail run. I had a 330w inverter plugged into the center console to power a string of LED lights. All was good. Then a friend wanted to plug in a crock pot to keep fondue cheese warm. Without thinking I said “sure.” After a minute the inverter was surging and then died. We tried the inverter in her car but it was toast. That’s ok had the thing for a decade. The bad news was I went to plug my V1 radar detector back into the cigarette lighter port and it didn’t power up. I know it doesn’t have a fuse and uses a circuit breaker. But I did a reboot of the car and waited a couple hours. Still no power. *sugar*. Any ideas?

Also, when and if I ever get it working again, what’s the max power that thing is rated for? I’ll buy an inverter that maxes out just below that figure. Also I’m going to buy one of those battery backup generators for these camping like occasions.

Totaled?

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

Attachments

• D4406B64-6A06-4F4C-B8E7-3835C35871ED.jpeg
    D4406B64-6A06-4F4C-B8E7-3835C35871ED.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 83
It is supposed to reset itself, but my understanding is it can take some time. Let it "sleep" overnight and see if it works in the morning. If not and you are daring you can try to pull the negative cable off the 12V battery.

From memory the 12V socket is rated for 15A peak and 12A continuous, but I think the specs are in the owner's manual.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms
It is supposed to reset itself, but my understanding is it can take some time. Let it "sleep" overnight and see if it works in the morning. If not and you are daring you can try to pull the negative cable off the 12V battery.

From memory the 12V socket is rated for 15A peak and 12A continuous, but I think the specs are in the owner's manual.

Thank you! Fingers crossed for the morning.

Crock pot is over 1,000 times more draw than a string of LED lights.

Hope it resets.

1200 watts to be exact. A tad more. lol

might take a lunar cycle to reset...

I see what you did there it is very much appreciated.

Yeah, I wish there was a good way to force a reset. I was traveling recently and because of temperature drop to my destination I wanted to put some more air in the tires. Got 3 filled with my tire air compressor before the circuit tripped.