Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I make a mistake by ordering 21 inch wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may already know this but summer tires shouldn't be used in the winter, not just because they're bad in the snow but because they're made of a different kind of rubber that hardens in the cold. It's very dangerous to use summer tires in the cold weather.

"As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures."
True! Better be safe! I believe California (Bay Area ) doesn't require winter tires. Am I right?

You may already know this but summer tires shouldn't be used in the winter, not just because they're bad in the snow but because they're made of a different kind of rubber that hardens in the cold. It's very dangerous to use summer tires in the cold weather.

"As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures."
Yes, I'm aware of what happens when driving summer tires in the cold. Yes, you lose some grip, but unless it's below zero F (which doesn't happen where I live in VA), with performance tires you start with so much grip that you have more than enough in the cold. I drove a rear-drive BMW E39 M5 for 10 years in the winter with Michelin Pilot Sports/PS2 summer tires without ever feeling that the car lacked grip or was in any way "dangerous" to drive. With my P85D, the only thing I notice when driving the ContiSilents in the cold is that the traction control kicks in sooner when performing Insane/Ludicrous Mode launches. (Note that I'm not suggesting driving in the snow with summer tires -- that could be dangerous.)

• Disagree
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Yes, I'm aware of what happens when driving summer tires in the cold. Yes, you lose some grip, but unless it's below zero F (which doesn't happen where I live in VA), with performance tires you start with so much grip that you have more than enough in the cold. I drove a rear-drive BMW E39 M5 for 10 years in the winter with Michelin Pilot Sports/PS2 summer tires without ever feeling that the car lacked grip or was in any way "dangerous" to drive. With my P85D, the only thing I notice when driving the ContiSilents in the cold is that the traction control kicks in sooner when performing Insane/Ludicrous Mode launches. (Note that I'm not suggesting driving in the snow with summer tires -- that could be dangerous.)

Glad you've had no problems. I had a very bad experience with summer tires in the cold so I won't risk it any more. At 37 degrees the road can be frozen. I said it earlier, tires are the most important part on a car because they're the only thing connected to the road. Better to have the best grip possible. Ok, I've said my piece.