Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I Make a Mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have got to believe there is a solution if presented in a certain way. Do they pay for your electricity? If so, arm yourself with knowledge and present how little it costs in electricity to charge and offer to pay a fair share. Or were they concerned about a charge cord being a trip hazard? There are remedies for that too! Try to give us exact reasons why they denied you. Tesla would provide them with wall charger(s) at the complex probably for free! ChargePoint is another company that works with apartments to provide charging. Contact them and let them "sell" your Building Management. If you don't know exactly why they denied you, find out so you can work at complying or proving to them why they should let you. Also you may have a legal leg to stand on to get them to let you charge. The old saying "When there is a will there's a way." Rather than feeling defeated, empower yourself with knowledge and go after what you want. In this case it is charging where you reside. Don't automatically resign yourself to take "no" as the "end all". Fight for what you need!

The issue is it may be O.K. for one person but then when/if two or three people or more want to charge the electrical system was never designed for EV charging. Where do you stop? I would think there may be a solution if only those who want to charge pay the complete cost of infrastructure upgrades for the building and all additional electrical cost.

Do you ever visit the Strip? There are plenty of destination chargers there also (as seen on the map jkliu47 posted)

LOL, you must not know Vegas that well. The Strip is about the only street in the city with traffic. But it's like downtown Manhattan NYC
LOL you must not know your own city. i can get to any hotel on the strip and never drive on the strip.

not being negative but i think you are in full panic mode here. charge point, plug share plus superchargers are your answer.

when i use a 30a Volta near me, i get about 30 miles per hour of charge. it's in a Kohls (department store) parking lot across from a place we have lunch. while in for lunch i'll see 45 miles added. when i plug in by the mall and see a movie, that's another 60-75 miles while i'm munching popcorn. i am fortunate to be able to charge at home, i just like to plug in where possible for the heck of it and our chargers aren't used very often.

what i don't do, is drop $65 at the pump every week.

it's trade offs, find places to charge, explore where they all are and how much you gain here or there in an hour while you are doing what you'd normally do anyway. if all you ever do is sit at home then charging is of little concern as a couple trips to the SC a month should do just fine. Live in the 20%-90% world.

supercharging 20 times a year isn't going to hurt you. and if you want more range to feel better know that your car is capable of much more range than indicated as that assumes almost 60MPH constant. drive like grandma and you'll beat the "estimated range". it's all variables that sometimes work for you, or against. like the wind. but that goes the same for any ICE vehicle too. drive lead footed, watch your mpg drop.

the "slower" chargers, if used while doing things like eating lunch with a friend or going to a movie, etc, are probably better than you think.

good luck, i hope you find your mojo and aren't in panic mode for long. i get it though, i worried for a while but the longer i've had an EV the less i've worried about anything.

Reactions: DR61
supercharging 20 times a year isn't going to hurt you.

Have you got a source on this? This is exactly the question. Yes, lots of people supercharge 20 times a year without issue, but not exclusively. Do you have a link to credible battery expert knowledge that says exclusively supercharging 20 times a year will not hurt the battery, or is this just your feeling?

Have you got a source on this? This is exactly the question. Yes, lots of people supercharge 20 times a year without issue, but not exclusively. Do you have a link to credible battery expert knowledge that says exclusively supercharging 20 times a year will not hurt the battery, or is this just your feeling?
it depends, will the stock price fluctuate based on my response? :rolleyes:

you've been a member since 2013, answer me this, why does nobody believe the company that made the cars they're so in love with? o_O

being around so long, have you ever seen someone toast their battery by supercharging and not get it fixed free of charge by tesla? because i can't recall a single occurrence of a supercharger killing a pack and that happening but maybe i'm wrong? please point me to a thread where a pack was killed by a supercharger under the warranty period, and tesla didn't replace or refurb it. just one. :)

everyone needs a scientific study today, don't trust the people you just paid fat stacks to. why would you buy a tesla if you don't trust their supercharger network?

Reactions: Evoforce and DR61
you. and if you want more range to feel better know that your car is capable of much more range than indicated as that assumes almost 60MPH constant

All excellent advice for @DSMLVNV, with just this statement as a somewhat off topic quibble. Since he has a P3D+, he will never get the rated range, possibly even with nearly zero aero losses (20-40mph driving). Even driving like grandma. Unless of course he swaps his tires.

Beating the “estimated range” on the efficiency screen is tough to do routinely as it depends on conditions. But of course generally it is a better indicator than the rated range particularly for the P3D.

Reactions: Olds442
OK, so I like the last post. What I'm concerned with is losing range. A lot of people have said by only using superchargers your battery degrades. There will be times that I'd love to drive the family to LA, SD, etc. and would like to be able to say to myself "This car still has a range of 310 miles."
Don’t charge to 100%. You could also (presumably, never tried it) reduce charging speed on the charging screen even while at SC.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
DSMLVNV -

As you can see from the forum posts there is a lot of confusion about the long term effect of SuperCharging. Part of the confusion is likely due to a lack of a precise guideline from Tesla itself. There are lots of comments about Elon's tweets suggesting 30-80% charging range as ideal, and various anecdotal commentary about SuperCharging, both pro and con.

It's been hard to find anything definitive, but I'd not worry about it very much. The M3 cars have a different battery design from the original Model S and Model X and those older cars have many owners with over 100,000 miles on their cars and very minimal battery degradation, even with lots of SuperCharing time - which was and is free for the life of the car. The newer Model 3 battery packs improve upon that with a more efficient design. Also consider that the Model 3 Long Range charges faster than almost any Model S or Model X - that efficiency suggests that Tesla considered longevity in its basic design plan, and charging will be faster with less time needed. Charge as suggested - when you get to 30% top off to 80% and keep repeating that schedule. You have a manufacturers warranty on your brand new car. There are no warnings anywhere in the Owners Manual that charging exclusively on the SuperCharger is forbidden, or will invalidate your warranty. If Tesla didn't prohibit it, why be concerned? Anything else is speculation, often based on incomplete information.

In terms of J1722 chargers (standard used by most third party charging networks), with a 40AMP 240v connection you should get 30 miles of range per hour. If you can park 10-15 minutes from your office and plug into one of these chargers you'll be full by the time your work day is over. Even if that's not available today, it likely will be soon as EV growth is very strong.

For what it's worth I've owned a Nissan Leaf and two BMW i3s before buying the Model 3. The Nissan charger was terrible - the original ones were 3.3KW capacity. It took longer to charge their 80 mile range battery than it takes me to charge my 310 mile range M3. The i3 was better, but not as fast as the Tesla. It took 3.5 to 4 hours to charge 80 miles on that car. My M3 at home on a 40 AMP circuit gets 30 miles an hour easily.

Relax; Drive and Enjoy; Repeat! Not much different from shampoo instructions.
I get 39 mi/hr charge rate at home with 240V/40A charging.

@Dana1, wrong on both counts. Charging to 100% is ok when you do it occasionally for a trip and leave soon after it finishes charging. Just don’t let it sit at 100% for days. That’s what 100% charging is for. No need to scare people away from using it. And no, you can not adjust the charging speed at a supercharger.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evoforce and Dana1
@Dana1, wrong on both counts. Charging to 100% is ok when you do it occasionally for a trip and leave soon after it finishes charging. Just don’t let it sit at 100% for days. That’s what 100% charging is for. No need to scare people away from using it. And no, you can not adjust the charging speed at a supercharger.
Read the post. OP states SC are his only charging option. He’s concerned about constantly supercharging. A potential solution is to charge a little slower at his preferred charging location. By not charging to 100% and at a reduced speed at every charge he avoids both issues with charging exclusively at SC. There has been no mention anywhere about occasional SC.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: trm2 and TexasEV
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. The facts are that we do not know about battery degradation of Model 3 yet since Model 3 is issue no different cells than S or X. We do know that Model 3 has better battery cooling and system is capable of supercharging at higher rates that it is currently allowed.

If you want to be really careful supercharge to 75%

More importantly Tesla poses no restrictions how often you charge at supercharger and nowhere you are advised against it (except for commercial purposes such as driving for Uber/Lyft). Also, if you ask at Tesla Store they will tell you that you can supercharge if you do not have outlet at home.

Personally, I think Tesla is being cautious with their model 3 battery pack and they will eventually increase supercharging rate even further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre78
Read the post. OP states SC are his only charging option. He’s concerned about constantly supercharging. A potential solution is to charge a little slower at his preferred charging location. By not charging to 100% and at a reduced speed at every charge he avoids both issues with charging exclusively at SC. There has been no mention anywhere about occasional SC.
I’ve read his post. Charging slower at a supercharger is not a potential solution because it’s not possible, as I explained above. Also I stand by my statement to not be afraid to supercharge to 100% when going on a trip. He (and others here) just need to chill out and stop worrying about the battery.

I charge to 90% every time I charge unless I am going on a trip then its to 100%, I have charged to 100% at least 20 times, I have over 15k on the car and when new from day 1 I would get 313 miles on 100% now I get 310, so far so good, I don't worry about the battery.

• Love
Reactions: Olds442
OP posted 1 concern, that exclusive supercharging might degrade his battery significantly. A few posts in this thread addressed that question, but the vast majority did not.
Don't sell the car for fear of degradation. It will not wreck the battery, Tesla's software won't allow it.
If it becomes too inconvenient, that's a different question I think the OP has already considered. That said, I wish the OP luck in eventually obtaining a home charging solution.

Exclusive supercharging might accelerate degradation, it might even be measureable. There will also be the inevitable vehicle with more than (or less than) average degradation, even under average use and charging; so it may be difficult to determine what caused any excess loss anyway. I recall a post several years ago from a Model S owner who charged exclusively on superchargers, and had no measureable degradation after a year (or two, I can't remember.) On the other hand, I supercharged occasionally and had maybe 5% loss at similar mileage.

I have 137,000 miles this week on my original 85 battery. Full charge is 245-247 rated miles (original spec was 265), steady for longer than I can remember. I recognize the M3 has different cells, but Tesla takes care of battery management very well.

Drive the car, supercharge when you need. Avoid the top 10% and bottom 10-20% as a norm; but don't be afraid to use it all when you need it.