Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I miss anything important?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered and confirmed my S85 on 4/5/2014. I don’t want to regret not ordering all the really usable options. I would like to get advice form owners who ordered options on their cars that they think I should add on mine. Please consider the following:

· My order: S85 with Grey Paint/Grey Napa Leather/Panoramic Roof/Supercharger/Dual Chargers/Tech Package/Parking Sensors
· I live in the warm (warm and not hot) weather of Southern California
· I have no interest in the performance plus
· I do not need a crystal clear sound system
· Would love to have had the XM/Serious Radio but reading the TMC posts, it is not worth the cost to have it since the reception in the Tesla is week
· I have EV 240V outlets both at home and work

Please help and let me know if I should consider other options to add to the car,

Thanks

Last edited:
The crystal clear sound system is not, imho, going to make much difference for listening to streaming or other broadcast sources, but it does help for high-quality digital recordings, either 320k mp3s or FLAC type raw audio. I love the sound system and could not imagine buying the car without it. Now, if I'd only bought the dual chargers!

Would love to have had the XM/Serious Radio but reading the TMC posts, it is not worth the cost to have it since the reception in the Tesla is week

I've never seen anything about XM/Sirius being weak. I don't subscribe, but I've listened to it during the free periods (free to all, not free to new Tesla owners) and never had any dropouts unless I was under a bridge. I do remember seeing quite a few complaints about the AM/FM radio reception, though.

Dual chargers might be unnecessary if you're surrounded by Super Chargers and you don't have the need to charge at ~62 mile/hour at home.

I've never seen anything about XM/Sirius being weak. I don't subscribe, but I've listened to it during the free periods (free to all, not free to new Tesla owners) and never had any dropouts unless I was under a bridge. I do remember seeing quite a few complaints about the AM/FM radio reception, though.

Dual chargers might be unnecessary if you're surrounded by Super Chargers and you don't have the need to charge at ~62 mile/hour at home.

Agreed on all counts. I have the Sound Studio upgrade and it is, hands-down, one of my favorite features of the car. I REALLY like the sound system and flexibility with all the sources of music I can listen too. With that being said, I have an early VIN that had the upgraded sound priced at a much more reasonable amount so the value proposition has changed a bit.

Dual chargers are a nice addition for reasale value but being near a lot of Superchargers on the west coast almost makes them unnecessary. I can't say that I have ever said "darn I wish I had gotten them" since I don't live or travel anywhere that has chargers capable of delivering that amount of charge rate.

Congrats on the order.... thoughts:

1. HPWC: I'm not a a big fan of the UMC (where the "M" in UMC is for "mobile" )for a permanent charging solution. In addition to plug-strain being a concern for overheating, etc... I always want a cable inthe car with me to charge with. A HPWC wired at home gives yo a permanent solution that has no wear issues associated with a plug/adapters, has a longer cable, looks better, and ultimately can supply twice as much current should you decide to upgrade your circuit in the future.
  2. Air Suspension: Not critical, but handy for getting over obstacles & country roads/potholes. Not to mention the cool-factor of the recently resurrected auto-lowering
  3. Fog Lamps Why this is now out of the tech pkg seems weird. I find them reasonably useful, and love the look.
  4. Parcel Shelf: While I'm not sure I'll ever really use it as a "shelf", the primary advantage for me is acting as a cover for items in the trunk that would be otherwise visible thru the rear window

The other options are not big ones I personally would find terribly critical...

Thank you everyone for your reply

Just couldn't get my self to spent the $2,500 for the sound system or close to it on the Air Suspension. Couldn't spend the $13,500 on the P85 (I am stretching as it is). Here is the way my order ended.

Ordered/Confirmed 4/5/2014:
S85KGrey/Grey Leather/Panoramic Roof/Supercharger/Dual Chargers/Tech Package/ParkingSensors - June Delivery
4/7/2014 Added through SC Rep Fog Lights/Parcel Shelf
4/7/2014 TESLA Email Update: VIN 39772 End of May Delivery

Thank you everyone for your reply

Just couldn't get my self to spent the $2,500 for the sound system or close to it on the Air Suspension. Couldn't spend the $13,500 on the P85 (I am stretching as it is). Here is the way my order ended.

Ordered/Confirmed 4/5/2014:
S85KGrey/Grey Leather/Panoramic Roof/Supercharger/Dual Chargers/Tech Package/ParkingSensors - June Delivery
4/7/2014 Added through SC Rep Fog Lights/Parcel Shelf
4/7/2014 TESLA Email Update: VIN 39772 End of May Delivery

perfecto!