TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Did I miss anything important?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by SOCALS, Apr 6, 2014.

1. SOCALS

SOCALS Member

#1 SOCALS, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    I ordered and confirmed my S85 on 4/5/2014. I don’t want to regret not ordering all the really usable options. I would like to get advice form owners who ordered options on their cars that they think I should add on mine. Please consider the following:

· My order: S85 with Grey Paint/Grey Napa Leather/Panoramic Roof/Supercharger/Dual Chargers/Tech Package/Parking Sensors
    · I live in the warm (warm and not hot) weather of Southern California
    · I have no interest in the performance plus
    · I do not need a crystal clear sound system
    · Would love to have had the XM/Serious Radio but reading the TMC posts, it is not worth the cost to have it since the reception in the Tesla is week
    · I have EV 240V outlets both at home and work

Please help and let me know if I should consider other options to add to the car,

Thanks

2. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

The crystal clear sound system is not, imho, going to make much difference for listening to streaming or other broadcast sources, but it does help for high-quality digital recordings, either 320k mp3s or FLAC type raw audio. I love the sound system and could not imagine buying the car without it. Now, if I'd only bought the dual chargers!

3. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I've never seen anything about XM/Sirius being weak. I don't subscribe, but I've listened to it during the free periods (free to all, not free to new Tesla owners) and never had any dropouts unless I was under a bridge. I do remember seeing quite a few complaints about the AM/FM radio reception, though.

Dual chargers might be unnecessary if you're surrounded by Super Chargers and you don't have the need to charge at ~62 mile/hour at home.

4. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

Agreed on all counts. I have the Sound Studio upgrade and it is, hands-down, one of my favorite features of the car. I REALLY like the sound system and flexibility with all the sources of music I can listen too. With that being said, I have an early VIN that had the upgraded sound priced at a much more reasonable amount so the value proposition has changed a bit.

Dual chargers are a nice addition for reasale value but being near a lot of Superchargers on the west coast almost makes them unnecessary. I can't say that I have ever said "darn I wish I had gotten them" since I don't live or travel anywhere that has chargers capable of delivering that amount of charge rate.

5. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Congrats on the order.... thoughts:

1. HPWC: I'm not a a big fan of the UMC (where the "M" in UMC is for "mobile" )for a permanent charging solution. In addition to plug-strain being a concern for overheating, etc... I always want a cable inthe car with me to charge with. A HPWC wired at home gives yo a permanent solution that has no wear issues associated with a plug/adapters, has a longer cable, looks better, and ultimately can supply twice as much current should you decide to upgrade your circuit in the future.
    2. Air Suspension: Not critical, but handy for getting over obstacles & country roads/potholes. Not to mention the cool-factor of the recently resurrected auto-lowering
    3. Fog Lamps Why this is now out of the tech pkg seems weird. I find them reasonably useful, and love the look.
    4. Parcel Shelf: While I'm not sure I'll ever really use it as a "shelf", the primary advantage for me is acting as a cover for items in the trunk that would be otherwise visible thru the rear window

The other options are not big ones I personally would find terribly critical...

6. Grant Gerke

Grant Gerke Member

Do you ski or snowboard ever? If you do, you need the panoramic roof option.

7. scaesare

According to his initial post, he already has that ordered.

8. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

What about just the performance (no plus)?
    If just 240V (i assume 30-40A), why the dual chargers? Unless you expect to do a lot of road trips and take advantage of 80A charging, where available.
    If you have young kids, what about rear-facing seats?

9. russman

russman Member

I have dual chargers as all the Tesla HPWC at their stores can charge at 80. So I like having it, even though I have 240 - 50A at home.

10. SOCALS

SOCALS Member

Thank you everyone for your reply

Just couldn't get my self to spent the $2,500 for the sound system or close to it on the Air Suspension. Couldn't spend the $13,500 on the P85 (I am stretching as it is). Here is the way my order ended.

Ordered/Confirmed 4/5/2014:
    S85KGrey/Grey Leather/Panoramic Roof/Supercharger/Dual Chargers/Tech Package/ParkingSensors - June Delivery
    4/7/2014 Added through SC Rep Fog Lights/Parcel Shelf
    4/7/2014 TESLA Email Update: VIN 39772 End of May Delivery

11. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

perfecto!

12. scaesare

Excellent... you'll love it. Congrats...

13. amitb00

amitb00 Member

Excellent config