Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I really just order a car? Going to take the two weeks to confirm...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to chime in. I read a lot of reactions about how you don't need a P and a "normal" s85 will suit your needs just fine and is plenty fast etc..

let's face it buying a model S is an emotional decision. Nobody "needs" a Model S. Just for young from point A to point B, a Toyota Corrola, a bike of a pair of good shoes will do just fine. We all don't need a $70K + car! So for everyone it is not a need (practical) but a want (emotional)

With some of us the MS60 satisfies the "Want Hunger" others will go for a maxed out P85 before the hunger is quenched. So the discussion between 85 and 85P is not a practical one but an emotional one. I reckon that if you are doubting and you can afford it take the P. It is emotions and if you don't you will probably have regrets later on.

Thanks all for the continued conversation!

I just took a quick drive over to the Seattle Westlake showroom as they have a Grey/Grey for test drives. I have to admit...I wasn't the biggest fan of the grey interior (no offense to anyone who has it...colors are subjective personal preference). Personally I just couldn't get over the 3 tones...grey leather, cream/tan headliner, and the other black trim (top of dash, back of seats, etc). It wasn't working in my brain (similar to what @Robert.Boston said on the prior page...it was clashing with the headliner color for me). So I just swapped out the grey leather for black leather. Being that I'm less than 24 hours since I clicked reserve we'll see how long that lasts ;-)

Turns out Westlake actually has a S85 for test drives (rare!). Unfortunately it was at the service center waiting for a part. So we're going to see if we can arrange something this weekend to drive the S85 and P85 back to back. And yes, I fully agree with @Dutchie...we're WAY beyond "need" and definitely into a whole different dimension! For now the P is still active...

Thanks again!

Just to chime in. I read a lot of reactions about how you don't need a P and a "normal" s85 will suit your needs just fine and is plenty fast etc..

let's face it buying a model S is an emotional decision. Nobody "needs" a Model S. [My underline.] /…
Given Man Made Global Warming and the ‘for the children’-argument, is this really true though?

The money spent on a P instead of an S can otherwise be spent on replacing coal/oil/gas heating for your house with a high efficiency cold weather heat pump &/or a geothermal system &/or solar panels &/or purchasing renewable energy (where available) from suppliers such as Bullfrog Power in Canada &/or investing in renewable energy cooperatives to build out renewable energy capacity &/or make your house more energy efficient as in better isolation &/or better isolated windows.

All depending on whatever yields the biggest benefit for the environment (of course).

The P vs S debate! For me, it was easy. $10k+ difference with a 1 second advantage 0-60 with the P. And really that's it. I've since driven both (and a P+) and I'm glad I went for the S version. Why? The P seems to use more power from the battery, especially if you floor it which is quite likely and often. Average Wh/mi on the P85 loaner I had showed around 370 (software 5.6) and mine it's around 320. This makes a difference going long distance. The motor seems noisier especially at higher speeds. You get a kind of buzzing noise about 70 in the P85 whereas mine is distant whine kind of noise. Maybe having the rear parcel shelf helps too?

The S still is capable of 0-60 in under 5 seconds unofficially...and it will do that. It's a rare day anybody beats me off the line. Dropping the pano roof helps too. About 100lbs lighter = better range and performance. I noticed the MS's used on the recent LA to NY drive had no pano's and what looked like 19" wheels.

Good luck and welcome to the worldwide Tesla family whatever version you finally decide on.

...So we're going to see if we can arrange something this weekend to drive the S85 and P85 back to back...
Do tell when you do. I’m looking forward to being in your anxious shoes and know I will have this same conundrum. Test drove a P85 and loved it but won’t likely have a chance to do the comparison without some gas guzzling travel.

Congrats on the buy and welcome to the club. I have a similar setup. I love the grey/grey but it's definitely how it fits your eye and taste. I like the 19 inch wheels for their stability and longevity but I'm Mr practical as well Use my S mostly for commuting and road trips. For me the P just wasn't necessary and I haven't regretted it one bit in the 4 months I've had my S as I've never been a speed guy so to speak. As far as the hpwc it's been talked about on this forum many times with many opinions. I like the potential of the 80 amps on the road in the future and I love the design and ease of use of the hpwc itself. One thing I would also recommend is the rear shelf. Surprisingly have used it many times but I don't have the rear seats. Good luck waiting, it sucks.

Personally I just couldn't get over the 3 tones...grey leather, cream/tan headliner, and the other black trim (top of dash, back of seats, etc).

Had a similar order (sadly canceled, long story I won't go into again) to yours back in October. Originally placed grey/grey/lacewood. Just didn't feel settled with that combination. Too clinical. Too cold. I'll have to disagree that the interior is a "warm grey"-- I think it is much cooler and antiseptic than that. Love the idea of lacewood but couldn't get over that the stain is so blackish (as opposed to the gorgeous caramel stain usually used with it-- just google).

After about 24 hours of just not feeling right, I talked my wife through the "grey and beige don't go together" argument and changed our order to grey/tan/obeche gloss. The thing is, the headliner is ALWAYS that cream color and the grey exterior reads as blue/green most of the time-- not a flat battleship grey-- so the grey/tan really DOES work. Plus, with the Pano, the tan really brightens and warms the interior. I strongly recommend the color combo.

I also couldn't rationalize the P vs S upcharge, buying new. But here's a thought I've had many times since: if you get an S85 and your wife takes it over during the next year or so... then you're primed to get another MS for your personal car. Since you already have one new, you can "fall on your sword" and tell your wife you're just "settle" for getting one used. It'll be your car so she really won't have much say/interest in whatever you decide to get... so go get yourself a lightly used P85 next year. I think there are decent odds that the price gap (on used MS) will be greatest between the 85s (P and S) and the 60s. You might really not pay much at all to upgrade yourself that way.

Brianman brings up a good point, if your wife decides to take over the model s, would you be able to order another one?

I also couldn't rationalize the P vs S upcharge, buying new. But here's a thought I've had many times since: if you get an S85 and your wife takes it over during the next year or so... then you're primed to get another MS for your personal car. Since you already have one new, you can "fall on your sword" and tell your wife you're just "settle" for getting one used. It'll be your car so she really won't have much say/interest in whatever you decide to get... so go get yourself a lightly used P85 next year. I think there are decent odds that the price gap (on used MS) will be greatest between the 85s (P and S) and the 60s. You might really not pay much at all to upgrade yourself that way.
+1 to this.

Ill even add a few more options

option 1: Get the standard S, save up for a roadster. Since y'all will have the model s as a kids hauler and a road trip car, the roadster can be your daily driver.
Option 2: Get the P85 and when your wife decides she wants a model s purchase a new 60

After about 24 hours of just not feeling right, I talked my wife through the "grey and beige don't go together" argument and changed our order to grey/tan/obeche gloss. The thing is, the headliner is ALWAYS that cream color and the grey exterior reads as blue/green most of the time-- not a flat battleship grey-- so the grey/tan really DOES work. Plus, with the Pano, the tan really brightens and warms the interior. I strongly recommend the color combo.

+1
Because it tends to be overcast in your area, I think the tan interior would be remarkably well suited with the gray.
And the gray is sort of chameleon depending on the time of day and the type of light is in.
The matte finish obeche dash works well with the rest of the colors *headliner*.

Really love a P, but an S is still a heck of a fine car.
And you would have a chance to maybe pick up some TSLA stock with the cost difference.

I thought clicking the reserve button would bring some closure but it's been a crazy week (and my wife is about ready to kill me).

For those waiting for the report back on the back-to-back P and S85 test drives, unfortunately you won't see it. I had a hard look at my situation over the week and simply couldn't justify the extra cash for the P. So I decided to drop down to the S85 and not even take the test drive (don't want to re-open any doubts). I know I'll be totally pleased with the S85. While I thought this thread would be a bunch of people pushing UP to the P or P+ I have to thank all of you who chimed in encouraging me to stick with the S85. I feel totally at peace with this decision.

Interior has been a game of ping pong. As I noted earlier I saw the Grey/Grey at Westlake and chickened out and went Grey/Black. Last night my wife and I actually had a babysitter and we stopped by Bellevue (yes, she loves me to do that on Valentine's Day...although after an hour she was DONE). It was tough as we were in a garage at night with just overhead fluorescent lights, but the wife loved the Grey interior they had there. I liked it too (you're right @purplewalt, the grey is a chameleon...why is this so hard?). I really wish the piping on the grey performance seats was standard with the grey interior. I love how it ties the headliner together but I refuse to pay the up-charge for "performance" seats which give me a little piping and synthetic inserts.

So after that hour (and too much time with the sample pieces) we're back to Grey interior. I really didn't like how much of the detail I lost with the black interior and we simply don't want tan (other car has tan, kids, etc). We're going to roll with the grey.

I then started waffling on the trim. Originally I was Obesche Matte with the theory that the Matte is good with kids. But in the showroom I realized that it is a non factor...no kids sit in the front seat yet and when they do they don't touch the trim. Even the display car, which people sit in all day, didn't really have finger prints. So we swung over to Obesche Glossy as it seemed a bit richer/darker. I started to waffle really liking the carbon fiber, but I think we'll go with wood.

So, since the order on Monday:
- Drop P
- Interior from grey leather, to black leather, and back to grey leather
- Trim from Obesche Matte to Obesche Glossy
- Added Sub Zero
- Added Yacht Floor (originally thought I wanted center console, but starting to like the openness)

Now if I was smart I'd simply hit confirm and be done with it but I have this little thing in the back of my head about waiting until the earnings release is done. No clue why, just cause. Right now it is scheduled to be confirmed next Sunday. Wonder how much I can change in that time (mmmm...carbon fiber...)! ;-)

Thanks again all. You made the P->S move much easier!