Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I really need a new tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago I took my Y to the service center & was told I had a nail in the sidewall and it was not repairable. So, I purchased a new tire. A few months later I had another nail in the thread which was repaired. Recently, I had a very slow leak and was told that it was a very small nail. I was then told because they did not have my tire in stock it was suggested that I go to a tire service center i.e., pep boys to plug it. The Pep Boys tire center found the small nail in the middle of the tire thread & plug it. So, now it leaves me wondering if I really need a new tire the first time when I was told it was a nail in the sidewall. I would have definitely been taken for the second new tire if it was available.

A few months ago I took my Y to the service center & was told I had a nail in the sidewall and it was not repairable. So, I purchased a new tire. A few months later I had another nail in the thread which was repaired. Recently, I had a very slow leak and was told that it was a very small nail. I was then told because they did not have my tire in stock it was suggested that I go to a tire service center i.e., pep boys to plug it. The Pep Boys tire center found the small nail in the middle of the tire thread & plug it. So, now it leaves me wondering if I really need a new tire the first time when I was told it was a nail in the sidewall. I would have definitely been taken for the second new tire if it was available.
Similar situation here. When told there was a leak in the sidewall I asked for proof and inspected it myself since it was impossible to see without removing the tire. Although minor, it leaves the tire structurally compromised and should never be patched. I was lucky that the tires had less than 3000 miles so i didn't have to replace in pairs. Plugs in the middle of the tire should last the life of the tire. Better luck avoiding nails in the future.

Sidewall punctures usually cannot be repaired and is not recommended. Punctures in the middle portion of the tread usually can and are repaired easily.
It's understandable not to repair a Sidewall puncture. My doubt is did I really have a sidewall puncture the first time since I was told that I had another sidewall puncture the second time & it was really a regular tread puncture.

Yeah, sidewall nail punctures suck. Hopefully they showed you the sidewall or took a pic that it was really in the sidewall.

My friend at work went thru the same as you with his MYP last Fall. After his second tire was replaced, now going on his third tire after it kept going flat ….they finally realized his fairly new ‘21 Tesla had a defective factory rim (barrel).
He said it wasn’t covered under warranty and around $2K total in expenses!! He is convinced the second tire was just replaced because the SC assumed it was the tire. And they replaced the first tire because of a nail in the sidewall.
Only way to tell for a defective rim would be to dip the tire in water and the inside of the tire barrel would have a pinpoint leak of bubbles.

Try to see if you can identify a certain construction area near your commute and definitely avoid that stretch of road.

Hopefully your luck changes.

My business as a mobile notary public requires me to travel a lot to different areas of Long Island, NY so my route is never the same. I recently had to replace a bathtub valve so perhaps it was those visits to Home Depot or Lowes where I picked up those nails. No, they don't show any photos of the alleged nail in the sidewall just a verbal report, which I am now suspicious of.

I would only use Tesla Service for tire repair as a last resort. Tesla will do whatever is quickest to get your vehicle out of their repair bay including selling you a new tire. A tire repair shop wants your repeat business and can spend a little time to determine the source of a leak and possibly repair the tire. Totally different business models.

I would only use Tesla Service for tire repair as a last resort. Tesla will do whatever is quickest to get your vehicle out of their repair bay including selling you a new tire. A tire repair shop wants your repeat business and can spend a little time to determine the source of a leak and possibly repair the tire. Totally different business models.
I disagree.. I had a big nail puncture and they came out out and properly repaired the tire at my house. It was the least inconvenient tire puncture I've ever had. The only problem now is that one wheel looks so much better than all the other ones because he cleaned it so well.

I posted about it here: Tire Puncture / Repair

Reactions: 101dals
I disagree.. I had a big nail puncture and they came out out and properly repaired the tire at my house. It was the least inconvenient tire puncture I've ever had. The only problem now is that one wheel looks so much better than all the other ones because he cleaned it so well.

I posted about it here: Tire Puncture / Repair
That is an example of great service. Hopefully this level of Tesla roadside support will be made available in more places.

Don't they have serial numbers molded into them?

I'm going to go outside and look now

Left Front = 254343

1645912228539.png

Left Rear = 257338

1645912288714.png

So if those ARE serial numbers, then you may or may not, but probably did get four similar ones from the factory

If you now have three similar and one different, that would suggest it was replaced
If you now have four similar, that would strongly suggest that they it wasn't replaced

. . . if that IS a serial number

Last edited: