Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I see a Performance Model 3 mule yesterday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pay attention to the wheel well, where the gap is between the wheel and the arch of the car's body. The 20" wheels fit nicely and evenly.

Are you saying the outside circumference of the tires is larger than stock? I thought larger wheels had lower profile tires in order to keep the tire circumference the same. Perhaps the performance model has a lowered suspension?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Pay attention to the wheel well, where the gap is between the wheel and the arch of the car's body. The 20" wheels fit nicely and evenly.
Are you saying the outside circumference of the tires is larger than stock? I thought larger wheels had lower profile tires in order to keep the tire circumference the same. Perhaps the performance model has a lowered suspension?
The 235/35/R20 tires that come with the 20" wheel package are approximately the same overall diameter (~2/10" difference) as the 235/45/R18 tires that come with the 18" aero wheels. On Tesla OE wheel & tire combos, you'd have to lower the car to significantly decrease the gap. I think what he's saying is the 20" wheels visually follow the arc of the fender better?

The 235/35/R20 tires that come with the 20" wheel package are approximately the same overall diameter (~2/10" difference) as the 235/45/R18 tires that come with the 18" aero wheels. On Tesla OE wheel & tire combos, you'd have to lower the car to significantly decrease the gap. I think what he's saying is the 20" wheels visually follow the arc of the fender better?

Last sentence summarizes what I'm trying to state: 20" wheels visually follow the arc of the fender better than smaller wheels. It's generally the case when going between different OEM wheel options. I'm trying to find pics for comparison. I'm unsure if the performance model has a lower suspension, as I don't recall any modification to the suspension part.

Here's a link to photos of an 18" aero wheels on a recent Model 3. Check out the wheel gap at the apex of the arch of the fender. It's not that big of a difference, but it's there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petra
I was looking to see if they spelled out “T E S L A” or still use the T logo

I think that was just a retro styling on Franz' Model 3 (which has been confirmed to be a first production/RWD), which also had a couple other tweaks. I wouldn't be too optimistic about that.

You can just buy them online. Mine are aftermarket plastic from Abstract Ocean and they're pretty good. RPMTesla has the decal ones. I wonder if the service center would sell you the actual replacement set for a Roadster.

ODQ9keK.jpg

ZgkcrlK.jpg

Reactions: e-FTW
Some people don’t realize that you can get a performance model 3 with the 18 Aeros and also the 19’s . So I’m assuming you wouldn’t need the bigger brakes cuz Tesla I’m sure would not allow you to configure with those types of wheels.