TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did Model 3 colors Red and White increase from $1,000 to $1,500?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by myblubu, Jun 26, 2018.

1. myblubu

myblubu Member

i thought all colors except black were $1,000, configurator shows Red and also White cost $1,500. Is it my imagination or were those colors $1,000 before?
    Did this change today with the other updates???

2. NathanielHrnblwr

3. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

4. myblubu

myblubu Member

5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Also they've added in their Obsidian Black Metallic to the Model 3's paint list.

6. myblubu

myblubu Member

Yeah, saw that too.

I’m ordering Red, just a bummer they raised the price $500

7. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Charging for white interior for performance means they'll charge for it on non performance too, even though they've never done that with S or X.
    Keep squeezing the people with the least money elon...

• Like x 1
  8. trunkmonkey

trunkmonkey Member

They charge you an extra $500 for white because you are actually getting 2 colors - White for the car and beige for the rear bumper.

I kid. I'm getting white, so I just jinxed myself...

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  9. AviP

AviP Member

Cash flow problems! Looks like they are trying to cobble together some cash any which way possible. Fodder for the shorts!

10. EVMeister

EVMeister Member

I was surprised the Red Multi-Coat and Pearl White Multi-Coat weren't more expensive than the other options to start with. They were on other models and they're the same paint. The only fodder for the short cannons are going to be the shorts themselves soon enough.

• Like x 1
  11. TM3_Jack

TM3_Jack Member

Honestly I think it's a d!#k move... but if the 500 bucks means less defect with the paint fine.

12. phtp

phtp Member

Let us know how it goes. :) I ordered white and hoping they will fix the color issue by then.

13. kl118

kl118 Member

I configured my white on 5/25, and my confirmation email only says "Pearl White", which I'm paying $1000 for. Is this different from the "Pearl White Multicoat" that the option is called now? In other words is the $500 increase due to an additional coat of white to make it multicoat?

14. costpermille

costpermille Member

It has always been "Pearl White Multicoat" -- whoever programmed that form to list your options was too lazy to type out "Multicoat". The MX and MS always had the Multicoat paints (Red and White are 3 layers I think) cost more than the Metallic paints (Blue, MSM, Obsidian, Gray are 2 layers I think). When the M3 was ready to configure for owners initially, I was surprised that Red and White were the same $1000 option as the metallic paints. So owners got a good deal in the lower cost Multicoat paints and Alcantara head liners, but didn't (depending on your POV) in the 1st gen front and back seats.