Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Model X Windshield Save My Life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glancing blow at 10-20 mph is what saved your life. Nothing special about Tesla windshields, in fact in another car that might have been metal and not glass that got hit as it looks very high up on your windshield. But conversely on an older pickup with a more vertical windshield - could have been fatal.

Any new windshield with cameras and rain detection on the windshield has gotten very expensive. I've seen almost $3000 for a standard American SUV, not some super luxury import. This is a strong reason to have collision with no deductible windshield replacement. For some reason, It is not available for my daughter's Honda CRV unless she got a $200 deductible. We had no problems getting it with a M3 with higher deductible.

By any chance, did you get the license plate? If so, provide the video to the insurance company. We used a restaurant's video for a hit and run and they did not treat it as our fault. Most of the time, they don't increase your rate for windshield, but it doesn't hurt.

Good Luck

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
View attachment 456064
Any new windshield with cameras and rain detection on the windshield has gotten very expensive. I've seen almost $3000 for a standard American SUV, not some super luxury import. This is a strong reason to have collision with no deductible windshield replacement. For some reason, It is not available for my daughter's Honda CRV unless she got a $200 deductible. We had no problems getting it with a M3 with higher deductible.

By any chance, did you get the license plate? If so, provide the video to the insurance company. We used a restaurant's video for a hit and run and they did not treat it as our fault. Most of the time, they don't increase your rate for windshield, but it doesn't hurt.

Good Luck
The Model X windshield is actually quite reasonable given the large size, only $812 part cost. Much cheaper than my BMW X6M at $1,400 for the glass, but the price is higher because of special requirements for a HUD.

View attachment 456064

The Model X windshield is actually quite reasonable given the large size, only $812 part cost. Much cheaper than my BMW X6M at $1,400 for the glass, but the price is higher because of special requirements for a HUD.

Does any other parts like the camera have to be replaced at the same time? Some of the others have to along with labor to align etc. or they say so to charge more.

Does any other parts like the camera have to be replaced at the same time? Some of the others have to along with labor to align etc. or they say so to charge more.
Whole job was $1,276 with tax at the Tesla service center. Labor was $350, which is also significantly cheaper than a BMW windshield. There seems to be less labor involved with remounting the camera module on the windshield than there is with the rain sensor on BMWs, the later requiring some sort of gel fill for it to work properly. For those interested, here are both quotes.

upload_2019-9-21_11-46-51.png

BMW.JPG

Moderator note: Moved two insulting / inflammatory posts to Snippiness. One other post came along as collateral damage (you know who you are...if you think it makes sense to re-post your text without quoting the posts I snipped, please feel free).

Bruce.

Whole job was $1,276 with tax at the Tesla service center. Labor was $350, which is also significantly cheaper than a BMW windshield. There seems to be less labor involved with remounting the camera module on the windshield than there is with the rain sensor on BMWs, the later requiring some sort of gel fill for it to work properly. For those interested, here are both quotes.

View attachment 457440
View attachment 457442
Your numbers aren't adding up. The invoice you posted seems to show $1534.62, which is close to the $1520 that I quoted here.

Yours also seems to show some phantom labour that mine didn't . My grand total was $1520.

Your numbers aren't adding up. The invoice you posted seems to show $1534.62, which is close to the $1520 that I quoted here.

Yours also seems to show some phantom labour that mine didn't . My grand total was $1520.
Perhaps you misunderstood. First picture is Tesla Model X windshield replacement, $1,187 plus tax came out to $1,276. Second picture was replacement of my BMW X6M windshield for those claiming that the Model X is expensive because of the size.

Perhaps you misunderstood. First picture is Tesla Model X windshield replacement, $1,187 plus tax came out to $1,276. Second picture was replacement of my BMW X6M windshield for those claiming that the Model X is expensive because of the size.
Yeah, it was not clear that you were showing a Tesla invoice and a BMW invoice.

Now I'm bummed that my (Tesla) windshield replacement was $1520.

Yeah, it was not clear that you were showing a Tesla invoice and a BMW invoice.

Now I'm bummed that my (Tesla) windshield replacement was $1520.
Yeah, I realized after I replied that I didn't label the pics and it's too late to edit. I suspect labor may vary by location and I wouldn't be surprised if they left some consumable materials off my quote. They might have been trying to do me a favor since I'd had quite a few issues with the Model X, but my deductible was the same regardless of what they charged.

The hitch was not actually traveling at 75 mph relative to your car. You and the hitch were both going the same speed when it fell off. It slowed down due to friction with the ground and the air, but its relative speed with respect to your car was probably 20-40 mph (a very rough guess).

Yes, you’re correct. Relative speed was no more than 10 MPH plus what was lost on the bounce. Still it hard enough to almost come through.

Follow up: Windshield cost was just under $1500 installed by Tesla in Maryland. I have full glass coverage so no out of pocket for me.

The insurance company opened a case file and took my photos, video, and police report (that they issued only because they saw the video) to pursue the driver’s policy.

Reactions: SaniDel