Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Musk buy Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shareholders that don't want Elon to be the Twitter technoking.

My wife is considering buying stock just to vote "no"
Indeed. The question would be whether there are enough activists who would vote for the moral value rather than for the short-term profit.

Remember, in the beginning, the board was resisting the short-term profit and wanted to go for the moral value.

However, due to shareholders' greed pressure, the board has now given in.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
Indeed. The question would be whether there are enough activists who would vote for the moral value rather than for the short-term profit.

Remember, in the beginning, the board was resisting the short-term profit and wanted to go for the moral value.

However, due to shareholders' greed pressure, the board has now given in.
Didn't the board make a "poison pill"? Wonder what happened that changed things.

Shareholders that don't want Elon to be the Twitter technoking.

My wife is considering buying stock just to vote "no"
W/o Musk, the craptastic earnings coming up, the SP value would tank to the 30s where it should be. Then Musk could do a hostile takeover and get it even cheaper. The board accepted the offer... some say they did it to avoid the earnings exposure lmao.

05A08A09-0605-48D7-8FE3-8882F5115122.jpg

It seems that the market thinks that it's not a done deal because twtr drops instead of rises on Wednesday. "Twitter shares ended trading in New York down 2.1% at $48.68, a big discount to the $54.20 deal price..."

Elon Musk has a history of changing his mind and he could easily pay $1 billion to get out of this deal too.

Before the Twitter Board of Directors caved in, Elon Musk sent an unkind message to them about their salaries if he owns them:

That worked! The Board of Directors caved and accepted the buy-out with a condition that he would stop disparaging Twitter during the buy-out process.

Well, if his tactic worked the first time, why should he stop now:

Musk owns Twitter now?
There's no more obstacles from the board of directors so it should be an easy yes.

However, the obstacle now seems to come from Elon Musk himself.

When he now just promised to bring Trump back, he gave a cryptic disclosure:

"So this is not a thing that will definitely happen because what if I don’t own Twitter.”

Read: "...what if I don’t own Twitter.”

The stock price immediately closed further down to $47.26!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
There's no more obstacles from the board of directors so it should be an easy yes.

However, the obstacle now seems to come from Elon Musk himself.

When he now just promised to bring Trump back, he gave a cryptic disclosure:

"So this is not a thing that will definitely happen because what if I don’t own Twitter.”

Read: "...what if I don’t own Twitter.”

The stock price immediately closed further down to $47.26!
There's a pension fund that's suing to block the sale:

I don't think it's all on Elon.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I don't think it's all on Elon...
Thanks for the info. Very interesting!

Since Twitter is a Delaware corporation even though its headquarter is in San Francisco, California, the pension argues that it should follow the Delaware law that requires

1) a 3-year-wait for an "interested shareholder" which is Elon Musk, or
2) to "win approval from Twitter investors who hold "at least 66 2/3% of Twitter's outstanding voting stock."

The Board of Directors were planning a poison pill and looks like it's now given to them to exercise as needed: Refusing to publicly prove that spam is less than 5% would save the company from being taken over:

I guess there are multiple obstacles, but the gist I'm getting from this whole 5% thing is Elon trying to back out of the deal (as there wasn't indication he was overly concerned about that previously, after all, the whole rationale for taking it over is to improve the company, including addressing spam accounts). The negative impact on Tesla's stock is fairly obvious, and it seems people in Twitter are not supportive either.

If Elon really wants to buy he can still push things through most likely (presuming he wins the lawsuit also), but the feeling I am getting is his enthusiasm has waned.

Reactions: HankLloydRight