Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did my first parallel parking...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i found that i have to slow down and lightly press the brake pedal and it will pick up the spot just about every time. (maybe 8-9/10 times not 3/10)

it's possible that if you are going too fast past a spot it doesn't have enough time to alert you?

i do both parallel and "normal" parking using auto-park...

Yeah it does work pretty well, especially compared to almost all other cars with the feature where you have to shift from R/D/R for it. Tesla is all automatic.

Agree with issues:
- It rarely detects spaces
- When it does, you have to pull a bit too far forward to start the process/detection, and in a busy city then someone assumes your not parking and gets to close behind you to then let you park, annoying.
- It has a couple times on a short and tall curb hit the curb for me, luckily only one small rash. Makes me do it myself now as that p&&sed me off!

Yeah it does work pretty well, especially compared to almost all other cars with the feature where you have to shift from R/D/R for it. Tesla is all automatic.

Agree with issues:
- It rarely detects spaces
- When it does, you have to pull a bit too far forward to start the process/detection, and in a busy city then someone assumes your not parking and gets to close behind you to then let you park, annoying.
- It has a couple times on a short and tall curb hit the curb for me, luckily only one small rash. Makes me do it myself now as that p&&sed me off!
you mean the wheel or the body hits the curb?

you mean the wheel or the body hits the curb?

I've had both being 1 time where the rubber hit the curb and the parking cancelled itself, it totally did a bad estimation/job. Curb was totally a normal height though, large spot, started where I should have, and not too close to the front car on passenger side. Other times it has parked just fine in similar spots on the same curb even.

The other time it got too close and rashed the back wheel. This was less of a failure but unfortunately did the most damage.

These two times always have me nervous to use the feature anymore. I've used it many times though here in Chicago.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
I've been wanting to try this out but I haven't had a need to do parallel parking (not in city environment). Will be watching very closely to hopefully not have the wheel rashing experience like travwill.

Just wanted to comment that I love your videos having all the different camera angles. Keep it up - that auto parallel parking looks pretty good to me.

I've been wanting to try this out but I haven't had a need to do parallel parking (not in city environment). Will be watching very closely to hopefully not have the wheel rashing experience like travwill.

Just wanted to comment that I love your videos having all the different camera angles. Keep it up - that auto parallel parking looks pretty good to me.

aw, try it out, works great 95%+ of the time :)

you could probably try perpendicular parking feature out in the mean time...

I've had both being 1 time where the rubber hit the curb and the parking cancelled itself, it totally did a bad estimation/job. Curb was totally a normal height though, large spot, started where I should have, and not too close to the front car on passenger side. Other times it has parked just fine in similar spots on the same curb even.

The other time it got too close and rashed the back wheel. This was less of a failure but unfortunately did the most damage.

These two times always have me nervous to use the feature anymore. I've used it many times though here in Chicago.
I'll continue to use it, and actually I want to test for a minimum space needed for the parallel parking to appear. It should be easy, just get two vehicles parked and adjust the space between them, using binary search I'm sure I can get the data within 5 tries:)

Thanks! I was hoping to have someone else taking video from outside the car for the parallel parking, that should be more straight forward. Too bad I'm doing the videos alone... This is when you want your kids to grow up faster and at least hold the camera for you lol

Thanks! I was hoping to have someone else taking video from outside the car for the parallel parking, that should be more straight forward. Too bad I'm doing the videos alone... This is when you want your kids to grow up faster and at least hold the camera for you lol
I did get a photographer for a perpendicular park demo once, but not my kid.......
Tesla Model X Moments