Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did my own annual Maintenance found my lower blower shroud broken before removing it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed in one of your photos a GM parts sticker. If you look at the latches for the rear hatch, they are from Ford. The soft roof is from Lotus and replacement parts can be obtained from Lotus. Does anyone know what the replacement parts are for the shocks, rear hatch struts and brake rotors? Since these are most likely off the shelf parts, cataloging their source will save us Roadster owners some serious cash down the road.

I noticed in one of your photos a GM parts sticker. If you look at the latches for the rear hatch, they are from Ford. The soft roof is from Lotus and replacement parts can be obtained from Lotus. Does anyone know what the replacement parts are for the shocks, rear hatch struts and brake rotors? Since these are most likely off the shelf parts, cataloging their source will save us Roadster owners some serious cash down the road.

Good eye Fabrizio! Where was the GM part? My friend identified the Ford latches used to secure the rear trunk and got a small laugh out of it.

Brake rotors are Lotus. Shocks are most likely spec'd from Lotus or even from Lotus but valved for Tesla. Go for Nitrons there if you're going aftermarket. The rear hatch struts typically can be matched up by their length, however looking at ours it appears the housing has a larger diameter than usual. Have to look into that since that's most likely the next thing I'll be replacing.

In the 4th picture you are pointing and above your finger is a big white sticker with 2 barcodes and the GM logo on a line that leads to the brakes. The calipers and brake shoes are from the Elise, but I'm not sure about the rotors since they are 5 lugs whereas the Elise is 4 lugs. I had read somewhere that dimensionally, the rotors match up with the Saab 9-3 (GM?).

Any chance of a video of the PEM removal and maintenance procedure? Maybe post on youtube? This should be a sticky thread! Very useful for current and future Roadster owners who want to do their own annual.

Totally agree... this is awesome. We can share advice on the routine maintenance schedule and build up a really cool catalog of advice. I've replaced the 12V battery, the remote opening module, and adjusted the windows to get a perfect seal. Not as impressive as removing and cleaning the PEM, but glad to contribute them to a Wiki or similar of course.

I would love details on window adjustment. I know of the two adjustment screws but I can't see where they change anything.

Those two screws simply adjust the inclination of the glass. To get a good fit, in my case at least, the glass needed to go higher. To do this you need to loosen off the glass supporting bar... its actually quite intuitive when you see it but you have to take off the interior door trim to get at it. About time I wrote this down properly I suppose. Any suggestions for the best way to document such repairs? Is the TMC Wiki the best, most structured place?

Just my $.02 I would start a thread on window adjustments as this forum is the place I come to search for answers. Not opposed to other options but this has worked well for me so far. Thanks

+1

A Wiki in this forum dedicated to maintenance as well as tips on upkeep and modifications would be great. Problem is that lots of this great information gets lost and I have to search for it which at times is not all that easy. The stickies work well, possibly there could be one of those for maintaining your Roadster and appropriated threads moved there. I'm happy to document what I did with the PEM / Motor / Blower cleaning and maintenance.

Dennis, do you remember where the shield/ground next to the charging connector on the far left of the PEM is connected to at the chassis? One can't see it in the photos and mine is removed since I have the car :O

Marco, Its connected to the ESS bracket on the left / drivers side of the ESS, its part of the PEM mount. A 10MM bolt goes in it, you should see the empty threads for it facing the driver away from the PEM. I can snap a pic if you need one and can't locate it.

I am seriously considering cleaning the PEM myself now that I have the official Roadster workshop manual, but do I just pull the fuse or does anyone have the PIN to get into the special screens?

I just cleaned my PEM, blower and motor cooling channels myself which is a large part of the annual maintenance. By the time I was done I affirmed that it's worth it to pay Tesla to do it. In my case the Serv Ctr is 3hrs away and booked 6 wks out and my car was not running. So I was quite motivated to do it myself.:smile:

If you have a lot of dusty roads or leaves you should clean your PEM and motor more than once a year.

So where can we buy this manual?

Go to Welcome | Tesla Service and create a login (and pay!). That's what I did. As you like in Belgium you should have no trouble getting access.

I just cleaned my PEM, blower and motor cooling channels myself which is a large part of the annual maintenance. By the time I was done I affirmed that it's worth it to pay Tesla to do it. In my case the Serv Ctr is 3hrs away and booked 6 wks out and my car was not running. So I was quite motivated to do it myself.:smile:

If you have a lot of dusty roads or leaves you should clean your PEM and motor more than once a year.

My service center is 1300kms away and it'll cost me €2000 to get it done. I'm motivated too! :)

Go to Welcome | Tesla Service and create a login (and pay!). That's what I did. As you like in Belgium you should have no trouble getting access.

In the US, apparently it is only available to Tesla owners in Massachusetts. If one selects "United States" as the billing address, it defaults to "Massachusetts" as the billing address state and cannot be changed:
Tesla.JPG

Like any industry, QC is not always 100%. This shoddy workmanship is not the norm for Tesla service centers.
Our Scottsdale AZ team is pretty solid and conscientious. Good management at that store is the catalyst.

I did however find Arizona based Gruber Power Services did my PEM maintenance flawlessly, and at a far better rate.
I understand they even repair PEMS unlike Tesla's only option - replacement.