Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did one of the recent updates make the car faster at a low SOC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my MYP it seemed like anything below 30% had really slow acceleration. Like 0-60 in 7-8 seconds. I never let it get that low as a result.

The past week, I forgot to plug in a few nights in a row and while driving yesterday got down to 16%. At no point in my driving did the car ever feel slow. I floored it at one light, and while it wasn’t as quick as it usually it, it was definitely still 0-60 in 4-5. Easily beat everyone else.

Did one of the software updates change the behavior of the car acceleration at low SOC? Currently on 2021.4.18.

Reactions: Iceman23
When I first got my MYP it seemed like anything below 30% had really slow acceleration. Like 0-60 in 7-8 seconds. I never let it get that low as a result.

The past week, I forgot to plug in a few nights in a row and while driving yesterday got down to 16%. At no point in my driving did the car ever feel slow. I floored it at one light, and while it wasn’t as quick as it usually it, it was definitely still 0-60 in 4-5. Easily beat everyone else.

Did one of the software updates change the behavior of the car acceleration at low SOC? Currently on 2021.4.18.
I feel the same way about my MY with boost. Before, once I hit 25% battery it felt as sluggish as an old Yugo, now it still has very good acceleration, although not like it does with a nice high SOC 70+%.

Also, last fall I would see regen dots and experience a significant loss of regen capability at any temp under 55 F. Now, I see minimal dots in the mornings even if it is in the 30's.....Very happy about that as well!

In general, temperature has the biggest effect on battery power output. I think even in the 2021's the battery temperature was the biggest aspect, with the software using the heat in the battery to heat up the cabin.
Maybe your car pulls better because it's warmer outside now?

I feel the same way about my MY with boost. Before, once I hit 25% battery it felt as sluggish as an old Yugo, now it still has very good acceleration, although not like it does with a nice high SOC 70+%.

Also, last fall I would see regen dots and experience a significant loss of regen capability at any temp under 55 F. Now, I see minimal dots in the mornings even if it is in the 30's.....Very happy about that as well!
Could be temp you're right. I didn't consider that. I guess if it is temp related I'm surprised just how much of a difference the temp makes. It's night and day.
In general, temperature has the biggest effect on battery power output. I think even in the 2021's the battery temperature was the biggest aspect, with the software using the heat in the battery to heat up the cabin.
Maybe your car pulls better because it's warmer outside now?
Oh that may be. It's much warmer now than it was a few months ago.

It's only relevant in colder weather when you're heating the cabin. There's no change in the motor output. There's an indirect improvement on motor output in the colder weather since the heat pump doesn't pull as much heat from the battery pack. With the battery being warmer, the motor power output is higher.