TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Did our X get a little more desirable?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Hitman007, Nov 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

So with the announcement that after 12/31 all Tesla's will only get a supercharger credit of 1,000 miles per year, I would guess that adds some value added to the existing units. Thoughts?

2. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

That value depends on the buyer. For an uber or lyft driver it could mean a lot, for those that take maybe 1 or 2 long distance trips, not so much.

3. DrivingTheFuture

Yes, we feel much better now even though we have AP V.1, grandfathered in to free supercharging baby!

4. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

It certainly seems to me that the no-fee-to-SC vehicles will have an added check mark in the plus column when buyers weigh options (because the new ones will certainly be more attractive for practically all other things) but how much of a boost that check mark gives is anyone's guess at this point.

We need to wait until the new fee is in place and known, and also the for market for used vehicles to have competition with the fee-to-SC vehicles. For me personally, and my Classic S, it's one more check mark in the plus column:

- much larger frunk
    - 80 amp charging
    - free Supercharging for life

All things of the past (well shortly anyway for free SC'ing).

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

We'll also need to confirm that it's the life of the car and not the life of your car, which is how it was phrased most recently.

I know, there's a lot of supporting evidence for the first of the two options, but Tesla is known to occasionally wiggle around previous statements. Ranger service, valet service, you know the drill. Personally it wouldn't surprise me if they say you get free Supercharging as long as you own the car.

• Like x 4
  6. outie

outie Active Member

Unlimited SpC aside, our cars also have unique combination of interior colors/trim that don't exist on the newer ones :)

• Funny x 1
  7. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

That's what I expect, and I actually prefer if they do that, since it will keep the superchargers less clogged for everyone. I can see people buying used ones just to take advantage of free supercharging locally, especially as they continue to fall in price. When I bought mine new, I never expected that the person I sold it to would get free supercharging, nor did Tesla promise me that.

• Like x 1
  8. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

I'm hoping it transfers with me when I get my next one....

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. GSP

GSP Member

I bought mine used, and I certainly expected free supercharging. I also expect to have the "free supercharging" check mark to help resale value when I sell it. Tesla has promised this on multiple occasions, including the CEO's statements during product reveals, town halls, and earnings conference calls.

I have been closely following Tesla since before the Roadster was revealed, and never got even the slightest hint that supercharging would ever cease to be "free" for the life of the car. Changing that now would be changing the terms after the sale. This would make me highly upset, as I was when Tesla did exactly that to Roadster owners after they had signed contracts for delivery. However, back then Tesla's back was against the wall, and I think they did it then only because they had no other choice.

For cars that are kept in running condition for 20-30 years or longer, I have thought that Tesla would include supercharging costs in the price of replacement batteries.

I have no problem at all with Tesla's new supercharging fees. It is still a good deal, and it is more sustainable. It will help fund expansion and prevent hogging and blocking. Tesla is giving us advance notice of the terms and they are reasonable. No one has to buy a car if they don't like the terms.

GSP

• Like x 1
  10. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

You'll be grandfathered in. As to the rest of your comments, my answer is here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1826316/

It's probably best to keep our conversation in that thread.

11. animorph

animorph Member

They're not saying if there will be a price decrease for unbundling supercharging in 2017 (yeah, not likely), or if they might add standard features to balance the loss, or if they're just raising the price by removing lifetime supercharging. So until it happens, we won't know the full effect on car values.

12. outie

outie Active Member

They are increasing the price by $2,000 on the 60kWh later this month. Do you think they will lower it back after a month to compensate the limited SpC? Not likely.

13. ohmman

BREAKING: Tesla will be dropping the price on their product line on January 1st. They planned to increase the price across the line by $5k. But they've slashed that price. Now the price will remain the same. Enjoy your $5k savings.

• Funny x 6
  14. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

If you trade in your Tesla you probably won't get any supercharger benefit as the new owner won't have it free, is this correct???

15. GSP

GSP Member

For a model S or X that you already own, or order before Jan 1st, and trade in to Tesla, a new owner buying it as a CPO should get the "free" (pre-paid) supercharging.

The free supercharging is for the life of the car, not the owner.

GSP

16. hollywood

hollywood Member

I was thinking about my case still in production.

The no longer available P90D
    AP 2.0 hardware
    Free SC access

Both RARE and highly desirable. Even more so if I didn't upgrade to EAP and left it AP1 on AP2 hardware.

17. bushburner

bushburner Member

Why would not upgrading it to EAP be desirable?

18. ohmman

I don't think that's quite so guaranteed. It's debatable that it will not stay with the car.

19. JCB_Arizona

JCB_Arizona Member

I called Tesla yesterday and explicitly asked that question..."Is the free unlimited supercharging transferable to a new owner if I sell the car in the future?"

The Tesla guy said emphatically, Yes. But, maybe I should have countered with a follow up "What about if I sell the car in 2018?"

But, as some people stated, things can somehow change.

20. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I am in the process of buying a CPO. When I asked about the supercharger program changes (my delivery window leaks into next year), I was told I would be grandfathered in and I had done everything needed to keep unlimited by ordering in 2016. That gave me the strong impression that in 2017 the Tesla-sold CPOs might not have unlimited supercharging anymore. So it may not stay with all used cars.