TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did someone throw something at my Tesla? Help investigate, please

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bell2041, Aug 18, 2018.

1. bell2041

bell2041 Member

Hi Guys, I was driving yesterday in my Model X when I belive I saw something flying from the front (not 100%, I might imagining it by trying to make sense out of it) and than I heard a bam noise, like somebody threw a snowball at the car. I immediately looked at the mirrors and there were a lot of people on a sidewalk but did not see anything suspicious. Take a look at the picture, there is a huge scratch.

I know there are lots of very smart people here whom I'm asking to help me figure it out, if someone threw something at me while I was driving, or it was just an accident and something bumped into my car.

My thoughts are, if someone threw something, why scratch? and why does it go from top to bottom? I would be just dent

I was traveling at 10-15mhs speed

qRx9ymUu0txGRW46aT2PEqUBjSoysRYJYAFFV98DmbEpX92IB.jpeg

• Like x 1
  2. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Looks like a dent as well as a scratch and in a downward rear direction so I’d say someone definetly threw something and it hit you.

Someone threw a can “full” of Pepsi at my windscreen doing 50and it etched a massive line similar to yours on my windscreen.

It’s also possible something fell off another vehicle... any tricks or anything about

Also sorry dude, hope you get it sorted and at not a great expense :(

• Like x 1
  3. spectrum

spectrum Member

@bell2041 It does look like something either fell or someone threw something (intentionally or unintentionally). Sorry for your loss and I hope it's not a big repair :(

Wow.... it didn't shatter?

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Wow
    I’d have assumed the can would go clean through the windshield.

5. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Yeah I kinda shat myself as I saw the can coming straight at my head but it kinda just bounced off before etching the windscreen.

It made a massive noise but I lived to tell the tail, could have lost a few teeth if it had gone through. Lol

• Like x 1
  6. krouebi

krouebi Member

Hi,

not nice - this looks similar to what we had happen to "Dino":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

our other vehicle (in the Philippines) in February - a stone/rock thrown at the car while driving through a village at around 1.30 AM.

Happy that the b*st*rds did not have a better throwing force/aim - a little higher and the glass of the rear right side door would have blown.

We were told that this is not uncommon in this area - and that one should under NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATEVER stop to check the damage (which of course we didn't!).

Kind regards,

Krouebi

• Informative x 1
  7. GreenT

GreenT Member

My only concern would be the 1 year down time in the body shop.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Meanwhile in South Africa:

Out of interest, do you not have some sort of dashcam? Might be a worthwhile investment.

• Like x 1
  9. outie

outie Active Member

Any body shop can put some mud on it and paint it.

• Like x 1