Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla’s Sale Alienate Everyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t bother me and I don’t really understand the people who were upset. Very silly.
Then I’ll explain it to you, someone who gave Tesla the finger and said F you Tesla, I’m not going to buy EAP & FSD for $8000 because it’s never gonna happen and I would never let a car drive itself cause I’m a race car driver. But there are some of us that believed in the company and felt our purchase would help drive the dream and spent the $8000, and now Tesla turns around and rewards those same idiots who posted they would never buy it who now jumped on the sale wagon. And then Elon tweeted we would get invited to the Early Access Program, guess what we all are still waiting. And emails to customer service go unanswered.

I could see some people being upset when they paid more for the same car people bought for less later. It's important to note however this actually happens all the time, but Tesla is just more transparent about it. I was shopping for a leftover new 2018 Audi A7 for a while, and the sticker price on the car I was interested in was $79k. They pretended that was the real price, but through my research I realized (due to a number of issues) you could pretty easily haggle $20k off the sticker without much effort at all. I'm sure some people paid $75k for some of those cars and felt like they got a good deal, but others probably paid around $57-59k. The difference is those people likely don't have access to the same information like they would with Tesla, so they're not upset because they're ignorant to it.

I was a day 1 reservation holder but canceled when I realized only the "expensive" cars were getting released first, and I wanted to buy my wife something much sooner than waiting to see IF a $35k version would eventually exist. Just recently when the prices dropped and there were incentives to move 2018 inventory, I realized it was a phenomenal deal to hop on a MR that has the premium interior and autopilot for close to half what a performance version costs. I was a "patient" (not really - I had actually stopped looking) buyer, and in the end it worked to my advantage. Things usually get cheaper in the long run as technically and adoption gets better, so it should be expected the residual will get dinged when that occurs. I'm going to pick up my car tomorrow, and I'm happy I waited for a good deal. I'm also aware that Tesla at any time could lower the price making me feel like I overpaid, but I feel like I'm getting a very acceptable deal at this point in time which is the only thing I can do.

Anyone else remember these numbers? Purchased my MS in Dec 2016. Purchased Autopilot but did not purchase FSD which was I believe at the time was $3,000 up front and $4,000 after purchase, They are now asking $5,000 for FSD in my owners portal. Did Tesla change the pricing? Just wondering if I am making these numbers up ($3,000 and $4,000) in my head or if I am remembering them correctly...

Tweets aren't legally binding. I'm not holding out hope that it's realized, but you are free to do same.

Anyway, I'm out of this hostile environment. Apparently, you can't even question Tesla without someone doling out the third degree.

If they come from Musk, they are. Material information from his site is actionable if not enforced. I find it interesting why you are part of this 'environment' in the first place if you won't even take the company's word for what they will do. While Tesla has delayed actions due to their aspirational nature, I've seen no circumstances where they would knowingly hurt their customer base.

You are impugning bad motives to a company dedicated to its customers - Tesla is going through growing pains but they still care about those that buy their merchandise.

• Disagree
Reactions: des16
You're free to have your own opinions on this topic (I was in your camp before the $3k discount on a feature that is still in preorder status as of this moment, with no concordant refund, partial or otherwise, to those who bought last year), but I don't understand how you can disagree with a question, especially one you previously answered. Just really strange petty behavior. I'm going to look into disabling notifications when I get any kind of post rating. Life's too shitty and short to be pinged by such inanities. I will resist the temptation and not pay it in kind (because of the vanity of it all, and I'd rather not waste anymore emotional energy). EDIT: Disabled all alerts, but it appears none of them apply to the post rating system, bleh.

Last edited:
Reactions: dnvr-ev
You're free to have your own opinions on this topic (I was in your camp before the $3k discount on a feature that is still in preorder status as of this moment, with no concordant refund, partial or otherwise, to those who bought last year), but I don't understand how you can disagree with a question, especially one you previously answered. Just really strange petty behavior. I'm going to look into disabling notifications when I get any kind of post rating. Life's too shitty and short to be pinged by such inanities. I will resist the temptation and not pay it in kind (because of the vanity of it all, and I'd rather not waste anymore emotional energy). EDIT: Disabled all alerts, but it appears none of them apply to the post rating system, bleh.

You seem so delicate.