Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla change the TPMS rules in SW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
So, for two winters now, I've had a second set of tires/rims/tpms(non-tesla). I swap them out, drive a mile or two, and Stacy's Mom says something akin to "I see you have given me a set of pretty new shoes, can you tell me what(wheel) size they are?", and she's all set until March of the following year when the Summers go on and she asks again.

Yesterday, I put the same winter wheels/tires/tpms on her and drove her around a bit, and she seems totally oblivious to the TPMS. Not warning me(thank goodness) that she doesn't think she's wearing shoes at all, but not telling me any tire pressures, either.

I happened to be at a tire place for other reasons this afternoon and had them check if my winter tires were still sending their TPMS signals(which after only 9-10 months in use, they really should be!), and sure enough they are all fine.

I'm beginning to think Tesla has changed its TPMS acceptance criteria in SW. I sincerely hope that is not the case, and I can guarantee I will not be buying Tesla specific TPMS sensors ever. I'll go without winter TPMS until these my sensors are recognized or my winter tires wear out(when I'll get clones of my summer sensors)

I wonder if I can 'scam the system', by swapping only one wheel at a time and driving in between, such that it just assumes the new TPMS is acceptable. I suspect not.